Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:53 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Working on the Z
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:02 pm 
I'm not only new to the zcar, but new to cars in general.
My current z (72' 240z) is the only car I own; and my sole method of transportation outside of walking, the bus, or bumming rides with friends. My wife and I long since have come to the agreement that if the car is in the shop, or doesn't run, that I won't be ask her to drive me around for errands.

That being said, my mistress needs some sort of attention (is not legal to drive) 80-90% of the time. Be it lighting/electrical (current), or for one reason or another 'just not running', there's always something that needs either a good talking to with penetrating grease & a blowtorch, or a few new parts and wiring.

Having said that, I love learning about it. Earlier today, for example... I had no idea how to take the dash off. Some of it is intuitive (ie removal of steering wheel), and some of it not so much (unplugging everything & the heater control panel), but it's like a whole new world of exploration for me.
It's been in the DIY "auto hobby" club shop ($4/hr to work, $8/hr hoist) for the last few days. I'm on Reading Week (Spring Break) from college, and my days are literally revolving around when I can go to the shop (5min walk away, open 4hrs/5days)
My mood is actually dependant on how the car is going. If things are going well, progressing, and I know exactly what I am attacking next (and how to attack it), things are good and well. Especially if it's simple.
If there's a problem I can't solve, or some crazy electrical issue (cmon headlights, it shouldn't be one or the other), all is not so well.
If it runs fine, is parked outside, and I'm working on something non-essential (especially if I have more parts than I need), I might actually be able to think about something besides the car. Is this normal? Anyone want to reassure me that I'm not going through some crazy disorder (I'm a mill psych major)?

As of now, the lower starter motor nut has evaded me for the last two days while I've been trying to take it off to have it rebuilt/replaced. I also have no tail or brake lights, and am taking off the dash to look if there is a break in the wire from the signal to the psngr feet area.
On the bright side, I can probably install the new head unit while the dash is off pretty easily. The blower motor came out today. I need more space down there for a bunch of electronics that need to be tucked out of sight anyways.

And I thought I was bitten through the Rockies.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I really love this car. And after reading Frank's post again, and thinking to myself how similar some of our situations are (give or take they're happening 25 years apart), I don't know how he was ever able to let his go in the first place.

If I was religious, I might pray for it. I finally understand dad: "Those damn Japanese"

I just had to get it out.

Tom.

Last edited by fiveleaf on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 pm 

:lol:

The more you write, the better we like you. :lol:

Yes, it's normal. You're in love. It's an affliction. It's a compulsion....an obsession....and it's forever. These carz somehow 'grab' you and never (never) let you go.

You can have another lover. You can be married and have kids and two or three jobs or be totally devoted to some sport or life quest or.....whatever. That Z car will NEVER leave your conscious mind, and your mood will often be directly related to the present condition of your Z.

I don't envy you removing that dashboard. Others here have done it with a simple shrug of their shoulders. It took me two days to get one off the parts car and I was very glad I didn't have to mark all the wires because I didn't have to put it back together again.

Do yrslf a favor while you're in there, and make sure all the instrument bulbs work. Changing them when the dash is back on requires you to stand upside down on your head in the tiniest space. And MY bulbs (240Z) don't work unless the socket is grounded in the gauge ~ I can't just pull the socket out and pop a few bulbs in there to see which ones work. I must replace the socket into the gauge each time to make even a good bulb work. Just a thought.

What manuals do you have to help you work on the car?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:50 pm 
Short reply; I'm leaving now to help friends who need a boost and don't know where their battery is.

I have FSM and Haynes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:00 am 
Short reply; I'm leaving now to help friends who need a boost and don't know where their battery is.

I have FSM and Haynes.

EDIT:

I've had it for about 9 months now. It didn't really start until after the drive. Though I really was bitten (by the bug) going the back route (tiny twisties) through the rockies, it's not really until now that I feel it.
Back before it began, sure... I was exited and proud to be working on it in the driveway with dad (PO) doing body/running/legal, it was really just more exitement to try something new than anything else.
Since getting here, upgrading old parts (sorry to the nonstalgic), having the engine rebuild, and (currently) trying to refresh the system, it's really become... [explained above].

Thanks for people like you, zs-ondabrain (CZCC), and the like, to remind me that I'm not the only one.

Until Rochester,

Last edited by fiveleaf on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:03 am 

Yup. It's forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:49 am 

Your gonna need a DD.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:17 am 
I have a few good pairs of shoes :)

EDIT: Besides, it's winter. If the car was working, I'd have to beat myself for driving her.

The dash is beside me right now bty. Tach and clock rebuild. Deafneatly a new dash cap, the old one is in about 15 pieces in the garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:26 pm 

Remember pearl harbor? :shock: keep working at it. wait till you have to take that dash apart and put it back together several times, youll' have down to a science then. you'll be fine.... :wink:

Black 2007 350-Z
67 Camaro Custom
Orange Late 71 240-Z Sold and sitting in a Doctors Collection

Colin Foote Never Forgotten!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:43 am 

Well I forgot which model you have S30 I thought, and after time you'll get good removing a dash. Took me about 1/2 hour in the junk yard last summer to remove a 280 dash,and that includes taking the pad off the steel reinforcment. Well, the best way to learn, is take it apart, and if you find yourself bored this summer, feel free to stop by my place and we'll take some Z's apart. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:00 pm 
Guess I should have included in the orginal post... 72' 240.
I'd love to (no junkyard around here even has an s30), but I'm in Kingston, Ontario...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:45 pm 
I just had to add...

The powerband on the cam is from 3500-6000, even 6500, drops off quickly at 7k.

When driving to school, etc, I try to keep it as low as possible (1-3k), so I don't get the "that guy who accelerates unnecessarily with the noisy car" label. It's a small community the base, RMC, and the immideate surrounding ara. I also shut the engine off for the large hill seperating the base from RMC, to save gas.
But I was driving back from the main town today, limit still maybe 50-60mgh, going est. 55-70mph?, second gear, varying from 4 to 5-6k, and I just wanted to share the experience. What an improvement the top-end rebuild/bore (L28) and a little dyno tuning on triple webers makes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:32 pm 

Doesn't it sound great up there around 6K?

I love 2nd and 3rd gears. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:14 am 
Even if it's going "slow" in second, you still feel the throttle response of 3rd or 4th... just with less drag!

Would have amused Nel, had she been there. She doesn't like it. She really hates the "jerk" you get from letting go of the gas too quickly in high-rpm low gears.
I'm sure she will come along when (a) I stop ordering parts, and (b) I clean up the electrical and interior. Who knows. Maybe she'll actually enjoy riding in it in a few years, after the final paint job.

Then again, this car may have been the cause of death of her hamster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:27 pm 
It hates me, and loves me.

I guess it's been neglected for the last week with repairs, and just let me know by backfiring hard and not wanting to accelerate after some lenghty errands in town. Unhappy it stopped working properly, but happy it decided to quit right beside the repair shop I take it to (5min walk from home). It does this with a lot of things.
Sure it lets me know when parts need to be replaced, but always places that make it easily accessible/serviceable. More than a few parts, so far.