Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:38 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:07 am 

Kathy & Rick wrote:
Carl, please forgive my shortcomings, but I don't know that I have heard
the term "pinta" before. Could you help me out? It sounds very similar
to "patina" which I have heard. Could they be related in some way?

All Z Best,......................................Kathy & Rick

My Bad.... :roll: patina it is...

"Damn it Jim, I'm an Engineer - not an English major..." :lol:

Carl..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:17 am 

Another Trekkie! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:38 am 

This IS a fun conversation! Pinta?!! Carl, you're too funny! But you brought up some great points about various Zs which stand out in the collector realm. Speaking of V8 swaps; how about the Scarab? What are Scarabs worth these days?

Frank,
Back to your question about the sticker price on the VZs. I wrote $25,000 in 2005 during my research. I have two bills of sale for $27,450 at this point. But Carl described a range of pricing in an earlier thread and I have no problem with what he posted. They sold, over time, within that range. Looking back at what I wrote five years ago, current pricing ranged between $22,000 and $31,000. I recall an earlier thread that discussed VZ value today. So you can see the trend is upward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:34 am 

Well, after reading 4 pages, and catching up, this is very interesting thread. It reminds me of what I have, that I should not change things to much and molest my 240z, (sorry Clive,) but these cars need to remain as original, there are plenty of 280's to play with out there. Or pick a 73, because according to the antique car guild, only 69-72 are even thought of. (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I read.) The other fact is, they are worth what someone is willing to pay. I notice that ones that are restored go for some big bucks, but IMO, one that is all original is worth more. I feel pretty lucky to only pay $3,000 for my 72, and there is only some minor issues that can be fixed. The drivers side dog leg has some bondo in it, and were the exhaust comes out as well, must of got dinged in it's past, because there is NO ROT, yehaaa. I still can see the greene paint on the underneath of the car. My Z will NOT be original to the max, but to my liking, the basic mods you would find back in the 70's, no NEW mods. (except an awsome sound system.) I love my Z, and will NEVER sell it, and yes, would like to be buried in it. I admire the older Z's from 69-to early 71, and yes sometimes wished I had one, but some things are ment to be, the 72 240 was my very first car, and must remain my last. Thank you guys for this descussion. All in all, we love Z cars, and you can do what you want with them, as long as you are happy, that is all that matters. Z4EVER P.S. the starting bid for #13 should start at $100k. :D (if I had the money, yes I would pay that.) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:17 am 

[quote="26th-Z"]But you brought up some great points about various Zs which stand out in the collector realm. Speaking of V8 swaps; how about the Scarab? What are Scarabs worth these days?
quote]

Chris, this opens up a whole new discussion! I have found that the term "SCARAB" has been bastardized over the years so that most assume a Scarab is ANY Z with a V8 in it. WRONG.

I do know that early Scarab 240Zs with 327s in them were VERY few and far between. Brian Morrow and company quickly moved on to 350s for later cars. I believe Scarabs were produced from 1972-76 in extremely limited numbers, the company only built 200-300. They sold kits for the do it yourselfers, although they didn't have all of the factory Scarab signature items such as unique badging, valve covers and seats. I have an old Road & Track around here somewhere with an article on them.

Maybe this should be a separate thread, but I think as long as we are talking 240 values, it should fit here. What IS a REAL Scarab Z worth today?

Gentlemen?

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Last edited by ZCARNUT on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:33 am 

26th-Z wrote:
Speaking of V8 swaps; how about the Scarab? What are Scarabs worth these days?

Hi Chris:
The Scarab is somewhat in the same class as the 69 AMX that I owned at one point. :roll:

There are a lot of cars like them - I think of them as "Special Interest Cars". They are of special interest to the people that for one reason or another really like them - but that is usually a relatively small number compared to the overall Collector Car Market {Classic, Collectible and Special Interest}

"Time Is Money" With most of the Special Interest Cars - the highest value of the car might take 6 months, a year or more to realize. That is to say that the car has to be sold to someone in the very small Scarab Special Interest Group, when they are ready to actually buy. Let's say that buyer - if/when found would pay $18K for an example in great condition. Nonetheless, if the price is low enough, it would attract people from outside that fanatic special interest group - but the value to them might be $8K. So the seller has to decide if he/she wants $8K now - - or the possibility of $18K a year from now. Of course the seller has to be willing to work at promoting the car for a year as well.

So in this case the answer to; "what is it worth?" , is very time dependent.

Look at the people we know who have Scarab's - one or two of them actually paid big money for a nice car - but most bought them all most by chance, at what they thought were bargain prices - and with the hope that at some point in the future - when they want to sell - that they will find that real Scarab Fanatic that will jump at the chance to buy - even if at a premium price.

I think our 91 Thunderbird Super Coupe is one of these cars as well at the present time. Although Vicki bought it new because she liked it. With only 9K original miles 20 years later - it would take a serious SC lover to pay the $18K Vicki wants for it... most people want to pay $8K. If she holds it long enough..... who knows... Beautiful car, very limited production, a joy to drive.... but it will take a serious SC lover to step-up with the cash.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:22 pm 

Carl, Thanks for taking the time to answer all of these questions! It's really great having you as an active participant on this forum. Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:41 pm 

*(I RECRUITED HIM!) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:07 pm 

(Good job Frank :D ) It sure is a blessing to have Carl answer such questions. Carl, if you open up a Datsun school, I'll be the first to sign up. :D