Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:39 pm 

Happened across this handy website. I can't vouch for it's accuracy but it might be useful to someone.

http://www.collectorcarpricetracker.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:11 pm 

No 240z auctions were found...so how good could the site be?!?!?!

1972 Datsun 240z #88178

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:22 pm 

The site is fine ~ it's just that 1970 240s are becoming harder and harder to find.

Remember, they only made about 10,000 (+/-) 1970 model year cars, and those included the 560-or-so '1969' cars. After 40 years of accidents, race modifications and simple RUST, there really aren't that many streetable 1970 cars left. That's why I cry when somebody carves up yet another 1970 for no good reason. They made THOUSANDS more 1971 cars ~ why not pick on those instead??? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:33 am 

Frank T wrote:
The site is fine ~ it's just that 1970 240s are becoming harder and harder to find.

Remember, they only made about 10,000 (+/-) 1970 model year cars, and those included the 560-or-so '1969' cars. After 40 years of accidents, race modifications and simple RUST, there really aren't that many streetable 1970 cars left. That's why I cry when somebody carves up yet another 1970 for no good reason. They made THOUSANDS more 1971 cars ~ why not pick on those instead??? :?

70 model is the lightest :twisted:

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:25 am 

I found 240Z's what did you do wrong? Don't forget to select the year range.

If it asks you to login, just clear your browser cache and try again.

I found 146 records of 240Z sales in 2009 alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:57 am 

The reality of it is right here. Each point on the graph at the bottom brings up a snapshot of the car as sold. These are actual market values of PUBLICLY sold cars. Private sales would of course drive the topline higher.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 144.13 KiB | Viewed 6927 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:10 am 

I would buy this car if I needed another one and there was no rust:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-280 ... 335a722b3d

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:06 pm 

Yes, my car was just like that when I bought it in 1989 for $3500. Values have risen slightly. That is a nice 77 and priced right. I bet it won't sell for 10K though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50 pm 

CygnusX1 wrote:
The reality of it is right here. Each point on the graph at the bottom brings up a snapshot of the car as sold. These are actual market values of PUBLICLY sold cars.

Not really - they are prices of cars put up for public auction - quite different than "public sales". For the most part cars that can not be sold to the public via local ad.'s or by local dealers - are put up for auction to the hghest bidder.

What is not shown - are cars put on E-Bay that did not sell because they did not meet their reserve. They were put there more for advertising than anything else - thus the high reserve. People contact the seller after the end of the auction and arrange private sales for higher than the highest bids... but perhaps somewhat below the original reserve...

FWIW,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:58 pm 

Referring to the visual graph, I do like the little "hill" diagram at the bottom of the picture, which shows the trend these cars have recently taken ~ climbing over a broad price band, but not yet peaked.

Most of the cars offered on eBay or Craigs List are suspicious to me. Most of them are written up to sound outstanding, and a real bargain for what the seller is asking for it. But I always ask myself, if the car is in such great shape for such a low price, WHY does the seller have to look outside his own circle of friends to sell it? If it's such a great bargain, why wouldn't someone in his town, who knows the car, jump on that 'great car' at that 'great price'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:07 pm 

Carl Beck wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
The reality of it is right here. Each point on the graph at the bottom brings up a snapshot of the car as sold. These are actual market values of PUBLICLY sold cars.

Not really - they are prices of cars put up for public auction - quite different than "public sales". For the most part cars that can not be sold to the public via local ad.'s or by local dealers - are put up for auction to the hghest bidder.

What is not shown - are cars put on E-Bay that did not sell because they did not meet their reserve. They were put there more for advertising than anything else - thus the high reserve. People contact the seller after the end of the auction and arrange private sales for higher than the highest bids... but perhaps somewhat below the original reserve...

FWIW,
Carl

Carl, you left out my last sentence.

"Private sales would of course drive the topline higher."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:33 pm 

CygnusX1 wrote:

Carl, you left out my last sentence.

"Private sales would of course drive the topline higher."

Hi Dave:
Yes - on that we agree.

I was trying to point out the fact that Auction Figures, Public Sales and Private Sales either all have to be included in the averages, or they should be identified and viewed individually.

Auction Figures - as given by the URL as listed and sold on E-Bay.

Public Sales - Cars sold via the owner advertising them {local newspaper, autotrader, placing a for sale sign on the window of the car in front of the house}, showing them and then selling them, usually in a face to face transaction.

Private Sales - Cars that change hands among or between friends or known collectors. These cars are usually never advertised to the public, and sell via word of mouth, or when someone offers more for the car than the present owner believes it is worth - at least more than it's worth to him.

The people that operate within these three groups all seem to have or assign different actual meanings to the same terms. "A very good car" to the typical auction buyer would be considered a car that needs lots and lots of TLC to any serious enthusiast or casual collector. Likewise a car that "Needs TLC" to an auction buyer would be at best a parts car to any serious enthusiasts or casual collector.

I just think that the auction figures from E-Bay should not be represented as "Current Market Prices"; rather they should be represented as "Current Auction Prices On E-Bay".

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:13 pm 

I agree with that Carl. But auction prices are certainly indicators as to what general values are across all avenues. There are always anomalies but I would like to believe that if the average price of ebay auction "good" Z's is around 10K, for example, you are more than likely not going to see averages of 40K and 50K, Z's in private sales. Just an example to try to say what I am trying to say. ;-)

The two/three/four markets ARE linked in a flexible way. Today, a serious guy that wants to buy a Z is going to look at all three avenues. He generally won't pay his neighbor twice for what is listed on ebay in the same or similar condition. The risk level changes but the prices are effected.

You can't deny that Walmart effects the price of pillows at HomeGoods.