Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:01 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Crazy Idea
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:15 pm 

Ever since I started admiring the 300zx I knew I wanted a 2+2 for the practicality and I knew I wanted more power than the N/A engine put out. So I did some research and originally really wanted to do an LSx swap because of its bulletproof reliability and the power it puts out, but did not want to cut into my firewall so decided that a TT swap would suffice.

From general quotes I've heard, to have someone do a TT swap would run roughly 8-10k and as a HS student without a real job that is just completely impossible.

The other day I stumbled upon an insurance auction site https://www.iaai.com/Default.aspx and came up with the idea of buying a wrecked 94-95 TT and swap the engine myself over the summer with the help of my step-grandfather in his garage. The cost would be minimal as the wreck not likely to cost over 2k and the labor cost would be virtually non-existent, besides repaying my grandfather with an endless amount of favors.

What do you guys think? Good Idea? Bad Idea? Or just plain stupid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:02 pm 

I know there will be 100 replies to your Post, so I just want to stick this in here real quick ~

In my humble opinion, NO PROJECT is ever "stupid". Unsafe, costly, overbudget, or wildly over-imaginative, maybe. But never stupid.

Regardless of the eventual outcome, you will learn more about your car by DIY work, than by reading an entire library of car books. If nothing else, you will learn what NOT to do with your project, and with tools . PLUS, you get the grand memory of a summer working alongside family members on a dream you thought up yrslf. No matter what else happens with the car, you guys will always have that btwn you.

Some of the very best car Mods on Planet Earth began with wild, hairbrained "What If" ideas from teenagers, who sat bolt-upright in the middle of the night with a new idea.

Dude, if you can keep from letting your grandfather hear you swear all summer when you bust your knuckles, TRY YOUR DREAM. Half-way thru you might get an even better idea and lead yrslf down an even more exciting path.

Look at it this way ~ what if you DON'T try it? Will you ever know if it works?

YOU are your own limitation in life.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 pm 

Yeah, Frank, that's EXACTLY what I was going to say!
(Please forgive me for lying)
Even if it was, I couldn't have said it any better.

The one thing I might have added is, having Gramps around you don't
have to be afraid of messing something up, there is a lot of experience
right there beside you that a lot of guys would love to have next to them.
And if something happens that gets Gramps in over his head, there are
about 350 other guys, you could even say brothers, who are ready to help.

Some are real live Z-Genii. Others are resource locator types. Many
are "Hard Knocks" graduates; you have heard of that school, haven't
you? And still others who may not be technically as savvy, are still ter-
rific encouragers. Even at great distances such as FL, TX, WA, and many
others, we now have the benefit of Internet right here in this Club.
When you hang up here, just hit that big 'Z' button up there in the corner
and skim down the list in the L/H column. If that still doesn't convince,
check out the Tech threads for more evidence.

And above all, don't be bashful about asking for help or advice. You
know the old saying............
Now if I would just practice what I preach!

All Z Best,..........................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:12 am 

Not likely feasible at this stage in your life. Money better spent on college.

Trust me. Being in your mid twenties with a college degree and a job is LOT better than having a partially finished turbo swapped Z after 4 years that you have barely driven.

Ask me how I know.
-----------------------

You haven't done enough research.

1. 2+2 turbo swaps are the most common because they didn't come that way here. 2 seater swaps aren't cost effective because it's cheaper to buy a TT.

2. Again, you didn't do enough research. $2000, even $3000 is well under what it will actually cost to perform the swap.

Why?

a. If you are getting a $2000 TT clip, you are going to be dealing with a likely abused/damaged and certainly old car.

You will need ALL new seals and gaskets. Turbos MAY need rebuild if they are staying stock, and some block inspection and prepped is highly advised is undertaking such a major project

Do it right or do it twice.

b. Shops (Z1) charge this amount ($8000) because its worth the labor and parts and they are GOOD at it. What you spend in money you SAVE in money AND time. In addition the car is put together properly.

No disrespect to your grandpa.

c. You need custom parts and you will need to mix and match parts properly. For instance the driveshaft / differential / transmission combo and the NA > TT engine/body wiring harness modification. Radiator and intercooler mounts etc.

Can it be done for $2000 in a few months? Absolutely.

Can you do it for $2000 in a few months? Highly unlikely.

My advice. Focus on school. Spend as little money as possible on anything but repairs and basic mods. Get used to driving a RWD sports car and enjoy it as much as possible. Impress the ladies.

When you get that degree, reward yourself with your 2+2 Turbo Z.

My hard earned 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:38 pm 

No offence or anything Vagabond, but

1) I know 2+2 TT swaps are the most common swaps because the TT didn't come to the US in a 2+2 form. I knew that before I even bought my car and had planned on EVENTUALLY performing a swap because I like the extra room in the 2+2 and I wanted more power than the N/A engine could produce.

2) I'd be buying a wrecked car, not clip. Therefore, I'd have nearly everything I'd need to do the swap (motor mounts, wiring harness, radiator, all the piping, etc.) as well as another Transmission.

3) I understand the difficulty of such a swap, however that's part of what draws me to doing it. What better way to learn about your car then to do an engine swap in the car. On top of that there are endless amounts of people who have performed this swap with success and there is more than detailed "manuals" on doing a TT swap. If I did run into a problem, I'm sure I'd be able to get help on it within a matter of a day.

4) Only custom part really needed is a Driveshaft which are more than easily found, through Shaftmasters or even Z1 for around $400 http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_in ... ts_id=1831 The transmission does not need to be changed, and in fact most people keep the N/A transmission as it has better acceleration than the TT transmission, but a lower top speed. Because I'd be buying a wrecked car, I'd get the TT front (if it was hit from the rear) which means I wouldn't need a new front bumper for better airflow. If need be, I buy a new wiring harness, and that sets me back another few hundred dollars.

Now, my car has about 165k miles on it. I have no record of a 120k or even 60k job being performed on my car, so I'm looking at $1300 bucks for that right of the bat. Add $2-$2.7k onto that and I got myself a running car with a lower mile engine and more power, as well as a great learning experience. Seems like a win win to me.

As I look at it now I will spend 2011-2015 in college working on my Mechanical Engineering degree. Come out and spend another 3 or so years getting my Law degree. That puts me at about 2018. By that time my car will have well over 200k miles on it and will be looking at a rebuild and with all the college loans I wouldn't be able to afford it. If I TT swap it now and keep up religiously with maintenance the car will last through college.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:54 pm 

The man has it planned! :wink:

You GO, Patrick!

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:55 pm 

See link:

http://nyzcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=371

I say go for it if you don't mind the down time and have the swap well planned out. I will wait to go into detail as this theard goes forward.

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:08 pm 

I would rather go to Canada and buy a 300zx 2+2 turbo (Z32), if you don't mind right hand drive. Just a thought to look into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 pm 

How hard is it to swap it over to LHD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:15 pm 

Dash board, rack and pinion, crossmember, pedel assembly just come into mind, and maybe some other minor things, but I would keep it and have something different. For ME, I wouldn't have a blind side anymore. :D but I don't don't know how it feels either, need to ask Jim with his 280zx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 pm 

You'll learn a lot - for sure - including some life lessons besides just mechanics. As they say for project cars, take your best estimate and double the money, triple the time and you'll be close. :)

On my 280zx, I learned not to buy cheap parts, tools, or paint; not to get frustrated too easily; that if something is worth doing its worth doing right... and so on. When the going gets tough, don't get discouraged. Sometimes you need to step away for a little while.

So, what does Grandpa think of your plan? Does Grandma mind having your car and the donor around the shop for a little while?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:43 pm 

Ok so I believe I got the clear from my dad, just need to run into by my step-grandfather and get his thoughts.

Ohh and find a job somewhere inbetween there :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:14 pm 

if you think you could do the swap, go for it. but you might be better off just buying a 2+2 tt. there are a lot out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 pm 

Ya just gotta love this Club!
See what I mean, Pat, you got a dozen mentors to jump in just by the
mention of a tentative plan! The idea wasn't to confuse you, but to
give you both the upside and downside of what you were thinking, so
you could come to an informed intelligent decision.

PAUL! You still there? Please fill me in on RHD in Canada, I always
thought they had LHD like the States. I was familiar with Bermuda,
England, Japan, Australia, but not Canada.

All Z Best,.........................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:57 pm 

I'm picturing the complicated swap of the battery and master cylinders from one side of the car to the other, along with all associated wiring and brake lines...... :(

I'm not sure that's a way I would want to spend my summer! :lol: