Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:41 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:22 pm 

I am using the plastic spacers with o-rings on both sides. The carbs are held on with ny-lock nuts over Thackery washers that are not fully squeezed. I left some room for the carbs to wiggle. I might just lower the fuel level tomorrow just to experiment. It's running great otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:23 pm 

So yesterday and today, I spent time setting up the Webers. I set the throttle plates precisely in front of the progression holes, and set the floats with some gauges. I adjusted the idle mix screws to get the smoothest lean idle. As a result, the car was running great, but on deceleration the exhaust was popping like a pop gun. Normally, I would have thought, "too rich on decel", but I read about lean pop (not me - last time I worked on webers back in the 80's I was lean, but not a pop. Now I am a pop, but not lean ). So today I took all the idle mix screws and turned them all 1/2 turn richer and the pop is completely gone. Decel now yields a beautiful baffled growl.

So it's running PERFECTLY...but it feels slow to me. Our Honda Odyssey might actually feel faster. :lol:

Why? Well i drive a WRX and a TurboZ so duh of course a stock L28 with carbs is going to feel slow, right? NOT... I think my 28mm chokes are doing just that; choking the L28.

So I ordered a set of six 32mm chokes. Next week, the tuning resumes. :twisted: I think I will also up my main jet from 125 to 135 and up my air correctors accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 am 

Sounds great from here. Are those DCOE45s or 40s you're running?

And do you trust those foam aircleaners? I undrstnd they can catch fire and melt during flashbacks and really mess up the innards. :shock:

This is a beautiful job. We can't wait to zee and hear it in person.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:42 am 

i'm sorry were you guys talking cause i am still drooling. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am 

Trust me it looks better in photos. It it clean however, because it's new.
The carbs are 40 DCOE-151's.

Frank there is a story behind those experimental air cleaners....in short, they are gone. Replaced with proper K&N rectangular filter boxes. Good eye Frank!

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/to ... msearch__1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:57 am 

Good.

I do wish this car had been ready to make it to Wednesday night's meeting, tho. We were ready to zee it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:58 pm 

I am not sure when I will be unveiling it publicly. It is going to the body shop next week to have a look at the drivers door, which was pushed in during it's storage by the previous owner. It's not bad but since the paint cleaned up so well, I think I owe it a proper repair. I am definitely shooting for Rhinebeck on May 1st, and Bear Mountain Car Cruise Wednesday series, which begins on May 5th at 6pm. I don't have enough hours in it yet for a long solo trip. I am a bit conservative when it comes to shaking down a newly built car.

Here is the official Bear Mountain Cruise website. I highly recommend this event. Attend as often as possible!

http://www.popyourhood.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:24 pm 

It's been a Summer of pure Z fun with the two Z's. We were blessed with relatively dry, albeit hot, weather. I had plenty of time to enjoy the Z locally, but I never had a large chunk of time to get out to many distant events. I hope to be able to make the Fall event at Ross's home. It will be the it's first official CTZCC event for this car. She has been trouble free asides from an occasional, mystery coolant spritz, under the hood.

To dispel the popular myth, I have NOT touched the Webers since completing the build and tune back in May or so. They have been reliable and consistently great.

Here are some photos I snapped today after dusting the Summer road dust off of her.

Here is a reminder of where this all began:

-Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:39 pm 

I'm amaZed at how stunning this car turned out. You had a good platform to work from when you first got it, but it appears you knew exactly what to do to it to make it a winner. I wish it had been ready in time for the Z Car Show this year. Those wheels! What a perfect contrast with the paintjob. I'm absolutely jealous.

I keep telling myself you must have driveline vibrations, rubbing brakes and a cabin full of exhaust fumes ~ just to make myself feel better because YOU own this beauty, instead of me owning it! :lol:

Really nice work.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:59 pm 

Amen , I Agree

Dave I haven't seen or heard from you since Rienbeck show hope all is well.

Outsatnding job On this car, she looks beautiful I 'm a little envious myself... congrats on a project well done I've enjoyed watching the progress to completion... :wink:

Black 2007 350-Z
67 Camaro Custom
Orange Late 71 240-Z Sold and sitting in a Doctors Collection

Colin Foote Never Forgotten!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:02 pm 

Very nice color Dave, I'm anxious to see her in person!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:53 pm 

Thanks, guys. Most of my Summer was dedicated to family time, with brief stints in the Z cars. It seemed like every time there was an Z event to attend, something important came up to peel me away from it. The past few weeks I have been really busy helping my wife to recover from complicated food poisoning and infectious colitis. Things are finally going well now, so I am looking forward to some quality "Z & me" time very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:56 pm 

Our best to your wife. That's a tough way to spend the summer. One of my old girlfriends had food poisoning once and lost 18+ pounds in less than a week. Hospital time, for sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9