Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:29 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: FAIRLADY
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:45 am 

Who was the incumbant mayor of N.Y City at the time the name " Fairlady" was coined. I have read the official reports and have seen some documentation....however I have some childhood memories that somewhat conflict with the official records. Was it LaGuardia or John Linsy?
How it came to be called Fairlady and how was it transfeered to the Z :?:

Who: President of Nissan Motorcar Ltd.
What: A"new" competive sportscar to rival Europa's
Where: NYC
How: He was there on tour
When: 196..2...3...4..?
WHY: He liked the SHOW....My My My

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:57 am 

Well, Mr. Katayama was responsible for changing the name to "Z". Mr K was then President of US Sales of all Datsuns, and he undrstd that a car called "FairLady" just wasn't gonna sell well among the homophobic American teenagers of the 60s and 70s. And the "Z" was conceived back in 1965, so is that the year you want to know about the NYC Mayor, or the year the name was changed?

"Fairladys" existed (in "Z" form) in Japan and in Roadster form here, long before the 240Z was released here, as you well know. (In other words, there were "Fairlady Zs" in Japan and "Fairlady Roadsters" in the US, before we eventually ended up with "240Zs" here in the USA. (I think I said that right?) (CARL BECK??)

I would have to research the answers to your other Qs.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:35 am 

I understand Mr K involvement and his role and insite into the American market place, However, how was it transfeered from the "Roadster/SP311" line over to the Z line. The roadsters being the first to be called Fairladies and not the 432 Fairlady Z's. My big question is who was the Mayor? History says LaGuarida. I remember something about LinZy's involvement again from a vague childhood memory that has always bugged me. I use to play with then Mayor Linsy kids (I lived accross the street) and even at the tender age of 10 or so I was very atune to the automotive world and the up and comming Japaneese involvement in it. And of course I also saw the Show (My Fair Lady) at Radio City Music Hall at about that same time. I think I saw every one on Broadway. Mom insisted in a well rounded classical education in theater and the arts(you know those Greeks). I had ment to ask Carl B. what his understandind was at the show last month. Just a little factoid on how it all came about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:44 am 

Well, John Lindsey was Mayor from 1966-1973, so he would have been the incumbent throughout this entire process, regardless what year the decision was made. So probably those information exchanges with your childhood friends (the Lindsey kids) were true intelligence! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:13 am 

It sorta adds up but I think the history books suggests that it happened(Fairlady) in the "early"60's rather the mid 60's and that would put John out of the picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:22 am 

Well, as I recall, the Roadsters were always called Fairladys (could be wrong ~ have to dig thru the archives again), and the Z wasn't thunk up until mid-60s. When they ("Z"s) were released in Japan they were of course called Fairlady Zs, and some of the very early carz arriving here actually had badges on them reading "Fairlady Z" (as you know). The whole line of Japanese Zs thru the years have kept the Fairlady name (I think) but Mr K didn't want that name for the American market.

Do you think Katayama-San may have had lunch with Mayor Lindsey and discussed it???

Carl surely knows more about this than I do. His website shows a pretty good lineage of these cars' histories.

Fairlady Z - about that name..
May 9, 2006 ... The Purpose of this page is to give some background and understanding to the name "Fairlady" as applied to the Z Car outside the US market. ...
www.zhome.com/History/FairladyName.html - Cached - Similar

Try this link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:50 am 

Thank you again Frank for your efforts in this regard. As I am quite sure that this subject has been hashed over and over. I don't think I have ever seen it discussed on this site. Although quite FRANKLY ALL of the info I have seen is still a bit ambigious to me.