Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: My Z is sick
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:55 pm 

Well I took my Z to Middletown Nissan to have the gas leak repaired. I told them I thought it was the tank. Guess what? It was the tank. So thats a quick 1500.00 to fix. Its going to take about 10 days to get the parts, remove the tank, Install the new tank and have all the new fuel lines fabricated. And I had them check the car over really good toi find any other problems and well they found more problems, but those will all be repaired when it comes home. I'm gonna pull the motor out and build it again from the ground up. Might as well since it would be removed and mostly torn apart for the repairs that need to be done. I am going to send the Heads and Block to New Haven to a machine shop I used for my Supra to have New Valves put in the Head as well as having them ported and polished. And I'm going to have the block Bored and stroked. And new bearings installed in the lower half. Then I have to replace the oil pump cause its bad and the oil pan because it has a really big dent in the bottem. I already had the turbo's rebuilt so they should be ok. I have to do a valve cover gasket on it because its leaking onto the fuel rail which fouled out all 6 injectors and corroded the fuel rail so badly that it need to be replaced and is apparently leaking as well. Then the Knock sensor needs replaced, the coolant temperature sensor needs replaced and the water pump needs replaced. The timing belt only has about 2,500 miles on it since it was changed but I think I am going to change it as well as all the other belts is the process. The clutch on the A/C pump is froze so that will be removed and likely not replaced. So that was all the repairs that the Nissan dealership recommended. Total cost of parts and labor for the forementioned repairs a little over $6200.00. That wasn't including the gas tank which was $1500.00, Brining the total with tax to around $8000.00. They guy told me that and I about fell out of my chair. So I did some research and found that I can get all the parts needed for the repairs from various sources ebay, autozone, advance auto ect. for around $1500.00. Plus whatever the machine shop charges me. But I think I can save between $2000-$3000 doing it all myself and add a few upgraded mods in the process. Most people would go out and buy a different car in my situation but I am already in too deep to get out now...lol Well she will be like a new car mechanically when I am done. Wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:59 pm 

It was supposed to be getting painted soon but that will have to be put off for a bit. Needs to run and run safely more that look pretty at this point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:24 am 

So, why didn't you get a custom fuel cell and pump and stainless steel braided lines installed for 50% of the cost?

Just curious. Either way, props to you for supporting the economy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:46 am 

I was thinking about going that route, but I didn't like the idea of the gas isnside with me. Was really hoping it was just one of the lines leading to the tank and that it was just running down the tank. Well I guess at least It will take another 20 years before the tank needs to be replaced again.