Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:28 am 

Frank T wrote:
*(NOTE: An extensive [and informative] response has been deleted from this space, since it was worded in caustic and abrasive manner, which violates the respectful nature of this Website. The author is invited to reword his entry, couched in appropriate and courteous form. Please maintain common courtesy in all forums of this website).

Frank Thomas
Monitor

THANK YOU for that Frank! There is NO NEED for personal attacks or rudeness. Geez, you'd think we were talking about someones family members here!

Contributors to this thread ALL appreciate the early history of the 240Z and not one is an absolute expert. Obviously we all have bits and pieces of information so Let's keep the INFORMATION flowing to put the picture together.

Thank you to all who have contributed thus far with rational posts.

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:38 am 

The author did try to reword his entry, but it's just not in his nature to be respectful, so that second Post was also regretfully deleted. Personal attacks and insults will not be permitted on this Club's website. Too bad ~ the writer seemed to have some useful information, but was unable to use it in a constructive manner.

Frank T
Forum Monitor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:03 pm 
Frank, since you appear to be the Forum Monitor, you should take another look at these comments you made and consider if they fit into your stated goal of being respectful:

Frank T wrote:
The author did try to reword his entry, but it's just not in his nature to be respectful, so that second Post was also regretfully deleted.

Frank T wrote:
None of them was intended for SALE in those locations; they were only there for testing and were ALL returned to the factory ~ which is why you, Alan, will NEVER provide us with a confirmed VIN number for any of the cars you repeatedly insist were reported at those locations.

Frank T wrote:
You can argue trivial "facts" about insignificant numbers of foreign Z cars all you want, Alan. The inescapable truth is that the Datsun Z was designed for the American market, focused on the American market, captured the American market by storm and single-handedly catapulted Datsun/Nissan ahead of its automotive rivals because there was more American demand for these cars than Japan could ever hope to meet.

Frank T wrote:
And while I still have my adrenalin flowing, I will address the implication that the Z was designed for anything BUT the American market. Mr Katayama himself changed the name of the car BECAUSE he recognized that no car called a "FAIRLADY" would ever sell well in America. He was attuned to the homophibic American market tastes and fully understood how such a name would fare in the land of John Wayne, Charlton Heston and Ronald Reagan. Had he been concerned in the LEAST with any other market in the world, he would NOT have demanded the name be changed to "Datsun". He could have left it with its original name and targeted some other market.

I guess I am a little confused because earlier you and others on the site said you had no interest in the complete history of the S30 (240Z) and then you go on to post conclusions about who it was designed for and how insignificant the non American market versions were, including those sold in the home market of Japan. It seems to me you can't have it both ways.

Anyway, I came to this site to hear more about the history of HLS30-00013. I appreciate seeing the pictures of it, but unfortunately, I don't think I’ve learned much more about the history of the car than I had already seen posted by the prior owner on another site. My comments will probably be deleted as well, but I wanted to at least express my opinion.

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:44 pm 

Thanks Mike ~ we're all anxious to know more about #00013. Your entry will be moved to OFF TOPIC Discussion forum, because it is a separate discussion.
Meet you there when that happens.
Frank

Post subject: #13 Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 am 

I wanted to add my two cents. Last nights CTZCC meeting was awesome. The presentation from Rick about his Car #13 was like learning about history from George Washington. He was there, he did it and is now telling about it. "Props" to the whole Z car club and especially to Frank, Ross and the rest of the crew for doing such a great job and for running the best Z car club in the country! What other club can say they have the most important Z car EVER and the most important driver EVER, Rick #13 and the Legendary Bob Sharp! ...Joe Plescia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:11 pm 

Well, this story has no end!

I just hung up from a great conversation with Mr. Dave Nelson, the man who found Lucky 13 in a NC salvage yard and saved it from the crusher back in the mid-1970s!

Dave is the guy who repaired the damage to #13 and eventually listed it for sale in Hemmings Motor News. Rick Morgan's friend (George Panko) told Rick about the ad and Rick ended up owning the car.

Dave has some interesting details about his ownership of #00013, and he has been invited to join us here on the website and add his side of the story in his own words.

Hopefully we will be hearing from Dave soon.

(Dave also owns an all-original 1972 240Z which he is thinking of selling, and he'll advertiZe that in this website when the time comes. He also has a bunch of NOS and used original 1970/71 parts he's been hanging onto forever, which he might be persuaded to part with).

Carl Beck, I will email you, Rick and Jimbo directly.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:25 pm 

(off topic)I'm just so freakin' proud and humbled to be part of this club...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:07 pm 

Dead-on subject, my friend! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:40 pm 

Great detective work Frank!! You've more then earned your stripes!!

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:59 pm 

I agree that it was superior detective work and well worth the wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:24 am 

Hi Frank:
Great to hear that you talked to Dave Nelson - even better to hear that he is still a 240Z owner!!

Here is a picture of #13 that Dave sent back around 2000 - as he tried his best to convince me that it was indeed #13, and not HLS30 01013 nor 0100013 etc.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Attachments:
13inNCLg.jpg
13inNCLg.jpg [ 72.95 KiB | Viewed 10792 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:27 am 

Yeah I guess without seeing with your own eyes its kinda hard to believe it. But hey its here now and thats all that matters...

Post subject: "Lucky 13" Mug Shot
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:36 am 

Hmmmm, that picture looks vaguely familiar! I think I have that one and a few others somewhere around......

Nice work, Frank; Is Dave still in Raleigh, or has he moved on?

He corroborated what I said in the presentation, "That's okay, I still have my '72 to drive." But I wouldn't have guessed that he still has it. He probably thought the same about me!

All Z Best!.................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:19 pm 

Gee ~ I just got asked by Nissan Sport Magazine what the color code is on Lucky#13, and you know what? I don't know! :shock:

Does anyone have a photo of the color decal on the radiator brace? All of my photos skirt around it and none gives me a direct picture of it.

These guys are waiting for my answer and Rick (or Kathy!) would probably shoot me if I called them this late.

Anybody get a good picture of the code number?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:53 pm 

Sorry, I don't Frank....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next