Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:10 pm 

It makes me proud to bring to everyone's attention that the discovery of this car (Lucky #13) has earned itself a permanent parking space on our Website Homepage.

The longer you consider this Find, the more you realiZe how remarkable it is. And given the alternative possibilities, the condition of the car makes this event even more astounding. It might have been found crushed in a wrecking yard. It might have been found dead in some backwoods lot, with trees growing up thru it and with half its partz missing. It might have been found rusted and misshapen, with horrendous body damage from some high speed mishap. We've all seen Zs abandoned in those conditions.

Instead, #13 was found intact.
After 40 years, it's still intact.

Remarkable.

When you scroll down the CTZCC Homepage to the little "shrine" we have reserved for this story, you'll notice some brief statistics listed. Those are correct. Only about 7,000 of the first (1970 model year) 240Zs were sent to the USA. That's what makes #13 even more special ~ this is the first car dispatched from Japan for sale here, and after 40 years there aren't anywhere NEAR that many left.

But we've found the first one, and it's complete and intact. Consider the odds against that!

The entire Z community owes Rick Morgan a debt of gratitude for his 30 years of diligently protecting what he recogniZed to be an automotive icon, even when he thought nobody else cared any more.

THANK YOU AGAIN, Rick. It must have been a lonely vigil, but you knew you were right.

And now the world knows it.

(And judging by the ELEVEN THOUSAND hits on this story, I'd say it means as much to the rest of the Z community as it does to us).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:21 pm 

Well, as I've explained several times now, I developed this fascination,
maybe even a fetish, for early VIN numbers when I found that a
friend of mine in Cheshire was the original owner of XKE Jaguar #38.
No particular reason for it, "it just grabbed hold of me."

That carried on into my "Z Career" when, as a member of several 240Z
Clubs (yes, that's what they were back in the day, no offense), other
friends had low-VIN Z's. When I was blessed to find and buy #171 in
Aug 73, I thought I had gone as far down the VIN list as I realistically
could expect to reach. As far as I know, that was the earliest VIN in CT
at the time. I knew from viewing the factory parts and service manuals
that the product line began with #13, but trying to find that proverbial
"needle in the haystack" would not be unrealistic; it would border on
the INSANE.

That is, until Aug 76, when George Panko (owner of #418, the identical
car) brought to my attention the National (not local as NissanSportMag
said) advertisement for #13. Meaning that I wasn't competing locally,
but nationally if not internationally. Nonetheless, I determined right then
and there that even if I never owned any other car again in my life, I was
going to own that specific car: no matter what its condition, no matter how
much it cost, no matter how far in debt I would have to go, and even if it
cost me my job (remember, I ended up outbidding my boss).

With a commitment like that, you KNOW I was going to cherish it and
protect it as much as I was able.

But my quest for locating and buying the earliest VIN Z I could find had
ended. There wasn't any further to go.

And as the saying goes, "And the rest is history."
And as Paul Harvey said, "And now you know the rest of the story."

FWIW,............All Z Best,......................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:46 am 

Poor Rick. Everywhere he goes now, he gets asked to repeat the story of Lucky#13.

At the past two Monthly Meetings, Rick has been stuck up in front of the (growing) Membership and asked to tell us all about this car. He's normally a quiet guy and he blushes a bit in the spotlight, but he's a good sport and does it anyway. To his credit, he manages to remain relaxed in front of a crowd and always behaves like a gentleman. (And by the way, Phrog, Rick always credits you as the original 'finder' each time he tells the story).

But if he ever does sell #13, it will probably be because the crowds become larger and larger, and he eventually becomes bored telling the same story everywhere he goes.

SOMEday, Rick, we'll all know the story, and you can relax and just enjoy the company of the Monthly Meetings! :lol:

But not just yet. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:16 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Neither Phil ~ that guy has yet to be identified. Rick has no clue who he could be.

But I would like to find him again and shake his hand! He told us the truth and was quite accurate about it. (Remember? I told HIM he was wrong, too! :lol:)

Well, guys, I believe we can finally put this part of the story to bed!

While talking to my cousin Walt recently, I discovered it was he who had
been talking to Frank and Phil about #13 at that initial meeting. He used
to drive a '73 Z years ago and is interested in acquiring another one now,
and to join our Club. Can we give him some help?-- I'll make the intro-
ductions; he lives in North Haven.

I would think that he would be a valuable asset to our Club; as a Navy
welder he did all kinds of high-tech welding including underwater and
nuclear; for years he has been a welder and welding instructor on high-
pressure boilers and the like.

Also, he was a very successful builder and driver of Formula Fords back
in the day, which skills he has passed along to his son Eric.

Do you think we could find a place for Walt and Eileen in the Club?

All Z Best,.....................................Kathy & Rick

1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:57 pm 

Kathy & Rick wrote:

Do you think we could find a place for Walt and Eileen in the Club?

Are you kidding me....anybody who can weld up a Z while underwater HAS to join the club!

:D

1972 Datsun 240z #88178

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:27 pm 

:lol: Hahaha! Yeah, if Nashville doesn't dry out in time for the Z Nationals, this guy might be in high demand!

Rick, please relay Walt and Eileen our sincere appreciation for their interest in the CTZCC and urge them to join us ASAP!

Phil, in answer to your question of long-ago, YES! It was Rick's cousin Walt who first rumored #13 . Now we get to meet him in person, I get to thank him and shake his hand, and APOLOGIZE! He really isn't craZy! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:08 pm 

That's one part of the #13 story that still bothered me up until now Frank and Rick! Now I can sleep better knowing that everyone WAS connected in bringing #13 out to see the light of day once again! It was meant to be!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:33 pm 

There are still stories to be told about Lucky #13.

Ten months after its 'rediscovery', Lucky #13 has been the feature story and cover photo of the prestigious NISSAN SPORT magazine, has won the Peoples' Choice Best in Show trophy at it's first car show, is presently being made mechanically safe and roadworthy by Vinny Bedini, and is being financially sponsored to appear in Nashville TN for this year's Z Convention in July, to celebrate its 40th anniversary!

The Z world will now get the opportunity to view this car in person, and Mr K will have the chance to see it via teleconference from Japan!

I simply cannot think of any better ways for #13 to spend its first year out of hibernation. It's like Rip Van Winkle waking up in time for the Millennium celebration on New Years Eve.

Rick and Kathy, I know your relaxed retirement days have been totally destroyed by all this hubub, but this is what happens when you hide world-class icons in your barn for 30 years! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:48 pm 

Frank T wrote:
There are still stories to be told about Lucky #13.

Rick and Kathy, I know your relaxed retirement days have been totally destroyed by all this hubub, but this is what happens when you hide world-class icons in your barn for 30 years! :lol:

Yeah, man. Paraphrasing the commercial jingle:
"We asked for it, we got it, AND IT AIN'T NO TOYOTA!!!!!"

In a sense, though, we wouldn't have it any other way.
We get to share our prize with everybody else.
Look at all the great people we've met.
And look at all the great times we've had at meetings, events, shows.
AND IT'S JUST BARELY BEGUN AT THIS POINT!!

What makes me uneasy is the part I have a hard time trying to convince
people: we're just an ordinary couple with AN EXTRAORDINARY CAR!!

All Z Best,...................................Kathy & Rick

1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:30 am 

Just to keep the World at Large updated on this continuing story......

Lucky#13 has emerged from Vinny Bedini's shop in outstanding condition. Vinny had orders to make the car mechanically safe to drive and reliable for reasonable trips, while strictly maintaining originality as much as possible.

That meant not replacing old parts, but REBUILDING them where ever possible. Vinny did a remarkable job (as usual).

The all-original car had over 100,000 miles on it, so Vinny rebuilt the engine, restored the radiator, rebuilt the brakes and suspension (the old rubber bushings had to be replaced) and cleaned the car as much as possible without dismantling it. Remarkably, the original rear brake shoes (Akibonos! :shock:) still had some life left on them, so they were cleaned up and replaced on the car! These were the original-issue brake shoes for the old 240Zs. They were available in Japan only, as I learned when I did the first brake job on my '70 240Z. Today they are fairly common and available here, but back in the day we had to replace them with American brand shoes.

The original 4-spd gearbox was spent and needed a rebuild. The original radio still doesn't work but that's a non-essential item. Without it mounted in the car, we still don't know if the antenna works or not.

Lucky#13 appeared at our 3rd Annual Z Car Show in Middletown this month, and it was a thrill to actually hear it run as it drove off and onto the trailer. It sounds brand new!

As I write this, Lucky#13 is on its way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the 240Z at the National Z Convention in Nashville TN. The car is so important, ZCon paid the bill to have the car show up there. Mr K will address the convention via big-screen teleconference, and will (probably) get the chance to see the very first 240Z he ever sent to America for sale!

Once again, THANK YOU to Rick Morgan for protecting and preserving this historically-important icon of the Z community. And thanks also to Vinny Bedini, the 'Z master' who was the only person on the planet Rick trusted to work on this irreplaceable Zcar.

This is the luckiest Z Club in the USA! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:06 am 

Frank T wrote:
J

This is the luckiest Z Club in the USA! :D

in the world. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:09 pm 

Well, it's now the first week of August and I'm happy to announce that Lucky#13 has safely returned home from Nashville.

While there, #13 was seen, scrutiniZed, filmed and photographed by every interested Z aficionado who cared to stop by. Nothing was hidden ~ the car was available to the public to see and examine.

Anyone with any lingering doubts about its authenticity (which were LOUDLY expressed last August) has had the chance to scrutinize the car openly. There should be no doubts in anyone's mind (however narrow) that this car is the Real Deal.

I will be very interested in zeeing some retractions, corrections, or outright APOLOGIES posted on the original Thread on the ClassicZ.Com website. The car was called a fake and it was insinuated that Rick was a fraud, who was trying to generate some sort of snake-oil scheme to make money off #13.

Now that all of the Doubting Thomases have had the chance to see the car themselves and satisfy themselves as to its authenticity, and have had the opportunity to MEET OUR FRIEND RICK MORGAN IN PERSON AND SEE THAT HE IS AN HONEST, HUMBLE, GOD-FEARING MAN OF INTEGRITY, perhaps (perhaps) they will find it in their hearts to retract at least SOME of the insulting and offensive comments they made about him on ClassicZ a year ago?

It certainly would go a long way in mending some sore feelings.

Some of the comments and authors which stick in my mind are found here, in case nobody but me remembers them:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/show ... adid=35484

Frank T
MbrshpDir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:21 am 

Frank T wrote:
Now that all of the Doubting Thomases have had the chance to see the car themselves and satisfy themselves as to its authenticity, and have had the opportunity to MEET OUR FRIEND RICK MORGAN IN PERSON AND SEE THAT HE IS AN HONEST, HUMBLE, GOD-FEARING MAN OF INTEGRITY, perhaps (perhaps) they will find it in their hearts to retract at least SOME of the insulting and offensive comments they made about him on ClassicZ a year ago?

It certainly would go a long way in mending some sore feelings.

There are a few bad apples in every bunch. In the Z community, bad apples are rare, but they still exist. Fortunately not in our club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:15 pm 

I just spent the last hour or so reading through that link and I couldn't help but chuckle. It seems that the one bashing America for the "chest beating" was in reality doing it more than anyone else. The owner of car #26 seemed a bit jealous that his car wasn't as early as he thought it was. All in all, it was an interesting read and I know which site NOT to sign up for in the future. I'm glad we don't have any members like that here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:05 pm 

I understand that they were acting out of doubt and were all somewhat incredulous, but they got WAY out of hand and became very insulting to Rick.

Now that they have had the chance to meet him in person (and see #13 itself), I really feel it's time for some of them to retract their insinuations and/or plainly apologiZe to him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next