Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:47 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:16 pm 

I just spke to the guy in Monroe that has the car in his barn. here is what he told me. It is a 1974 260 Z. He kind of inherited the car because the previous tenant 20 years ago DROVE it into a barn in the back yard and left it there. It was running at the time. He seems to think the car is mostly original but has some modifcations. It has triple webers, aluminum slotted rims etc. It is silver with a black interior. 4 speed. He cant tell how bad the rust may or may not be but he said that it looks like the exhaust is completely rusted away and that there is a hole under the drivers seat. The body of the car seems to be in "very" good condition with "no dents". He mostly wants to get the car out of the barn and will accept a fairly low offer. $0-$1000 dollars is my guess. It would have to be flat bedded out to be transported. I guess a tow truck might work for a short trip too?? I am going to try to see it on Sunday. Anybody have any imterest so far??
He thinks the car is very restorable but he has done NOTHING to it for at least 20 years. I imagine it would need a total restoration. Yikes!

Post subject: I'm "interested"!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:48 pm 

Hey Joe, and fellow Z'ers,

I would be interested in maybe picking up a 260!! Throw my 280 motor into it and fix whatever is wrong with it.....
I am at the library now as I've lost my internet connnection!! I HATE, Comcast!!! No other choice in my town! I'll be in touch by PM, Joe....you could send your number, and I'll call you?

BG! + Prowler 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:49 pm 

When I spoke to the guy, I offered him $400. There are pics of the car on zcar.com The floor has a hole, I believe dash was cracked and the car has been sitting 20+ years. I think you guys can pick the car up for $500 or less. Doesn't run, no keys, no title and needs to be towed home....parts car. Buy low.

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject: Pics of the car
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:51 pm 

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/8/20604 ... sg-2069473

I would split the car with someone in CT. I just don't have the room to store it right now. I am interested in the front air dam and few other parts,

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:18 pm 

I saw that car on Craigslist about a month ago. Spoke to owner on phone , he told me someone was on thier way out to look at it. If they passed he would call me back. Never heard back so assumed someone bought it.

Monroe is next town over.

74 260Z White project car (back on the road)
74 260Z Brown triple webers
75 280 Z stroker
82 280ZX
91 300ZXTT
12 370Z Black

Post subject: Went to see it on Sunday
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:03 am 

Hi guys, I went to see the car on Sunday. It is in pretty rough shape. It would need a complete tear down and rebuid to be roadworthy. It is a 260Z built on 11/73 it has triple webers and does not currently run. The back end is jacked up and both rear tires are off of the car. It appears that they are both in the barn and could go back on to roll it out. I would assume you would need a flatbed. Who knows if it will even roll? Most of the car looks like it is there, bumpers interior parts etc. It is silver with a black interior. It has louvers on the back window. It has a rear spoiler and a front air dam under the bumper. Overall there are probably a lot of parts that are salvagable but the body has lots of cancer and the underside does look like it is falling apart. I think the guy wants $500 plus but i doubt that somebody will end up giving it to him? It will cost you $500.00 to get it out. I took a bunch of pictures but I dont think that any of them will tell you anything that you dont already know. His Cell phone # is 203-261-6205 Jamie. I met his wife too and she is very nice. They would just like to get the car out of the barn. Good luck Joe If you want to call me about it my # is 203-434-2661

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:23 am 

im in Australia so forgive me if im wrong... but..
wouldnt a 260Z be pretty sought after??....
America only got them for a year or so.. there's not a lot out there.
I've found the 260 to be better than the 240 for a lot of reasons.
Its like the factory improved 240. The only thing going for the 240 is the early year they we're built. Nissans made huge improvements over the years and by the time they got to making the 260 all the problems we're fixed.

Everyone knows that the earliest models of any car is the most sought after and gets better $$$$$$$$$$$$$$..... but this does not make it a better car....

The best 240 is the later 71 onwards. BUT.. the most sought after is the 69 - 70
240. Even if they have to put up with some minor design problems.....
i do mean MINOR...

well..as long as you dont go rallying with one....hehehehehehe

The early Nissan Z Rally cars and race cars helped them get all the problems out of the car. And NIssan put that into production right away.
After about mid 71 it was all sorted...

So.....by the time you get to the 260, they'd been making them for 4 years. They got pretty good at it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:13 am 

obsidianpete wrote:
im in Australia so forgive me if im wrong... but..
wouldnt a 260Z be pretty sought after??....
America only got them for a year or so.. there's not a lot out there.
I've found the 260 to be better than the 240 for a lot of reasons.
Its like the factory improved 240. The only thing going for the 240 is the early year they we're built. Nissans made huge improvements over the years and by the time they got to making the 260 all the problems we're fixed.

Everyone knows that the earliest models of any car is the most sought after and gets better $$$$$$$$$$$$$$..... but this does not make it a better car....

The best 240 is the later 71 onwards. BUT.. the most sought after is the 69 - 70
240. Even if they have to put up with some minor design problems.....
i do mean MINOR...

well..as long as you dont go rallying with one....hehehehehehe

The early Nissan Z Rally cars and race cars helped them get all the problems out of the car. And NIssan put that into production right away.
After about mid 71 it was all sorted...

So.....by the time you get to the 260, they'd been making them for 4 years. They got pretty good at it....

Here in the states, it is well known the best 240z is the 73. As you said, they have been in production for 4 years and made improvements. Highest $ will always be the 69-70 just due to vins and nothing more.

260Zs only being offered for one year, you would think they would bring the most money but don't. Honestly they bring the least! If you took a 78 low mileage 5 speed to 280 and a low mileage 4 speed 260...280 will bring more money. By the time you get to the 280s...the car is stronger, fuel injected, 5 speed, a/c and much more.

An early 260z will bring more than a late 260z but an early 260z will bring less money than a 73 240z of same condition :wink:

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:14 pm 

cool... yeah i reckon your right about the 240...
maybe the 260 will become more valueble as time goes on as they become even more rare...