Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:16 am 

The few of you with early cars please contact me if you are looking for parts to make your Z correct. I have offers on some of these parts through Hybridz and Classic Z Car but if I can help out locals Z members first then that would be great. I will sell the motor complete if someone needs all the correct items in the engine bay. Remember early Series 1 cars...some of the fuel rail fittings are different :wink:

I will be selling the following:

JUTE
CARPET
SEAT BELTS
SEATS
RADIO
STEERING WHEEL
VALVE COVER/HEAD
INTAKE/SU CARBS
BUMPERS
DOOR PANELS
TRANNY W/ REAR END
RADIATOR

and other things I can't think of right now. I am going to take pics to have a history on the car before I start to sell the parts. If you need pics of how something goes back together or something as a reference, I am here 4 you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:06 am 

There's been no shortage of opinions on this subject but anyway here's another (since I can't shut my big yap.)

It's great to preserve low serial number cars and cars with really low miles. Everybody gets sucked into the "mint in unopened packaging" obsession now and then.

But one of the added benefits of being a Z enthusiast is that there were very few options on the cars, and almost no options when it came to what really mattered - i.e. the engine & tranny. So the Z avoids the superficial price structure of other classic cars. Is a 66 GTO with a 4 speed and a 4 barrel worth more than a 6 pack with an automatic? Rarity determines the price. With a 240Z, they were all basically the same!

Anyway my point is this; a great benefit of being a Z enthusiast is that you enjoy the car for what it is; a practical classic that defined the sports car market for decades to come!

Get it on the road to educate the young uns' who have never seen an old 240Z, or heard the sweet song of an inline 6. (Daddy, whats a Datsun?) They won't care if its an RB or an L series, or what displacement L series it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:27 am 

Your opinion is welcome here.

You don't even have to be right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 am 

The car will be taken care of.

Frank I emailed you to get your number. Let us talk ealry Z's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:06 pm 

It's all great in-depth Z discussion no matter which side of the fence you're on. Huzzah!

Post subject: L30ET BUILD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:04 pm 

Well I had some time to snap some pics for you guys of my parts back from the machine shop. Please voice and concerns or thoughts that come to your head because I am trying to learn here. I took some nice size pics so you guys can see some of the work done. Next week I hope to take the other parts to the machine shop and get them balanced. Enjoy for now!

P90 Head:
Notice anything?
Gasket Matching of the ports:
Port n Polish...3 angle valve job:
Light Weight Nissan Comp Retainers:
Ready to be cleaned and painted:
Bore n Hone:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 am 

Wow, clean work! You must be proud.

Lets see....I've almost lost track of all your three projects. You're putting the V8 into the red '72 or '73 you recently bought, and this isn't the E31 head from the early 1970 car, so this must be the engine from the red car, right? Where's it going?

How much did they mill the head? And now you'll shim those cam towers the same distance, right? That will bring the camshaft back up to the original height to keep proper tension on the timing chain.

And did you notice that the Intake valves are larger than the Exhaust valves? Complete opposite from American cars I grew up with. Be mindful not to rest the machined surface of the head on the deck ~ it'll mess it up. Use cardboard under it, or even better yet, rest it on the non-port side.

What's happening with the early 240 engine? And what will become of the original EVIL-Z body?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:58 am 

Thanks Frank for the info!

This is a p90 head out of a 82 turbo zx and so is the block. This is the start of the 3 liter turbo motor for the 70 car! This motor should be together by summer and running by the end of the year.

The v8 is going into the red 71 and the original evilz 73 will become a roller and not sure what will happen to it. As far as the v8 car....just got super wide cf ZGs for it and ordered some CCWs for it!

I will try to update all my threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:25 am 

Somehow I should put you and Massachusetts member Gary Williams together ~ he needs a roller to put his own driveline into. On our Memberlist I think he's #68. You guys might be able to help each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 am 

Ok, the head is out for a second job plus get the cam and such installed. I believe this motor is going to make more power than the v8 car :twisted:

Here are two pics of the car finally inside:

I will start a second thread in the for sale section for some of the parts that will be sold from this car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:53 pm 

This is probably the most fun I have had with any Z car besides driving one!

Here is what we started with:

So to start off, two days ago.....painted the block with engine paint. Also installed new core plugs and clearance the connecting rod ARP bolts to the bottom of the cylinder walls. I used a grinding stone to do this about an inch wide. Be sure to clean the block and cylinder walls when done!

After some paint on the engine:

The next step was to install the bearings in the block and be sure to put oil on them. Then I rested the crank on the correct bearings, so I can install the main caps and check the clearances with plastic gauge (old school). The main caps were recommended to be installed to 40 lbs each. After I did that and checked the gaps, they were all good.

Next step was to install the connecting rods with pistons. BE SURE THE CAPS MATCH THE CONNECTING RODS. There are numbers on the side that you will see once you have them in your hand. Joe, showed me the method you want to use to install the rods and then torque down the caps. So I started off with cylinders 5 and 2. After installing both connecting rods to the crank....I go to turn the crank and....it does not move! Hmmm, Joe showed me that the oil sprayer needs to be on the passenger side of the block in the first rod we installed. So after 5 mins of looking at the motor, I check the rods and caps. Ha, now don't tell Joe but I think he turned the crank around while showing me how it is done and it was installed 180 degrees wrong direction :twak:. Now I did not help by installing #5 cap on # 2 and vice versa. So easy fix, take the piston and rod out...install it the right way and switch caps...and...torque it all back down. The crank turns!!!!!! So basically, I finished up the other 4 and I have no problems with clearance and the crank turns no problem. Lots of oil is needed as you oil the bearings, cylinder walls, and clean off the pistons before you shove them down the cylinders.

Me working on the block in Joe's garage:

Ready to install timing chain kit and finish up the block:

As it sits for now, this should be ready for the head next week:

Here is a pic of the head....doesn't look like much here but the sender was Braap. Paul cleaned up my head for me and did not do the intake port matching on my head...the original machine show did that. I will say Paul's work is very very very very very neat!!! Very good person to deal with and answers all my newbie annoying questions .....more pics to come:

So thanks to Joe for helping build this thing, I know I owe him a garage floor!

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:14 pm 

Nice garage Clive, very unlike my mess. When's the Z party at your house. :lol: (I haven't heard from Tommy about that door yet, it's in the truck, :? ) You need one. Looks like you don't. Tim, your right on that classic issue. Even though the wife bought a Hyndai, I made shure she got the rarest one, very low percentage of the 3 door accents were SE models. One of my favorite is a 70 Monte Carlo 454 SS 4 on the floor. (might be off on the year, could be 71-73)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:44 pm 

paul.mackin wrote:
Nice garage Clive, very unlike my mess. When's the Z party at your house. :lol: (I haven't heard from Tommy about that door yet, it's in the truck, :? ) You need one. Looks like you don't. Tim, your right on that classic issue. Even though the wife bought a Hyndai, I made shure she got the rarest one, very low percentage of the 3 door accents were SE models. One of my favorite is a 70 Monte Carlo 454 SS 4 on the floor. (might be off on the year, could be 71-73)

I wish it was my garage....but it is Joes! I am building the motor at his house.

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:16 pm 

Well always good to have friends with benifits. :) Someday I'll get there. Once I get my car tent, but not for a car, for all my parts. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:25 pm 

Not to stoke the flames on this thread again...but I got a chance to see Clive's early Z car today. The car is in pretty darn good shape given its history. In my opinion the car should be restored given its historical significance. My personal feeling is that someone who will appreciate this car should step up to the plate and restore it.

Just to be clear it is obvious to me that Clive completely appreciates the car as do I. But just speaking for myself I don't want an early Z car given all their foibles. I am happy with my '72 and I want to enjoy my car as a resto mod.

I respect the importance of the early Z cars and I would like to see Clive's early car appreciated for what it is.

The CTZCC is one of the biggest Z car clubs on the East Coast. What kind of car club would we be if we didn't do everything we could to preserve a car like Clive's?

I am willing to pitch in and buy the car with a group of CTZCC members who want to restore or sell the car to someone who will restore the car. In my mind this isn't about money it is about preserving this special Z car.

What say you CTZCC members?

Marc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next