Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:19 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Bob Sharp and the CTZCC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:45 pm 

I can t beleive it!!!..
im sure he's got some stories about the old Z's..
I Would love to hear info on what factory items wernt up for racing. eg, gearboxes/diffs.

I think they used factory gearboxes and just cir-clipped the changed forks.
If the stock stuff can put up with these beasts then there more than good for the street.
And also, didnt in the late 70 early 80 they were running the 280 with turbo's and getting 600hp.....
thats pretty extreme but its nice to know what there maximum capability is....
i'd be happy with anything upto 300hp. 250 isnt a big ask of these motors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:39 pm 

Man, you should hear some of his stories! And at our monthly meetings he brings old Super 8 films of his races. His racing firm (BSR) and their West Coast rivals (BRE) were responsible for nearly every improvement to the Z cars from 1970 to the late 1980s.
During his career, Bob has had several notable racers driving for him, including Sam Posey, David Hobbs, and Jim Fitzgerald, as well as actors Tom Cruise and Paul Newman. Today Bob's son, Scott Sharp, carries on the family tradition with his own successful racing career. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
In spite of his life-long fame, Bob is a "regular guy" who loves to meet new Z owners and chat with everyone. He remains enthusiastic about the Z cars and will answer any questions you ask about the cars. You can PM him on this website under RSHARP. His memory is crystal clear and he can recall facts and figures from decades ago, such as horsepower and weight figures on his early BSR Z cars which gave him an edge over the competition. He has raced on just about every racetrack in the USA and is considered a hero at our local state track, Lime Rock Raceway.
We consider ourselves Blessed by his membership and constant active involvement in the CT Z Car Club. Bob raced the very first 240Z to enter the United States, HLS30-00006. This car is preserved today and still driven in demonstration races in upstate New York. Today Bob drives the 450bhp, seven speed GT-R Z car, just for fun.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:06 pm 

That is awesome Frank. what a champion..
I've got a book here called "how to modify Datsuns" and its basically got all the BRE development for the 240Z. it mainly covers 510's but it also has heaps of info on Z's.
A lot of the full on race gear they were using wouldnt go on the street but the fundementals r there.

so yeah!.. this book has heaps of BRE and Bob Sharp stuff in it. It was written before the 260Z was available. so its not very upto date but they did iron out alot of the problems. eg cranks, diff mountings.

Sadly, the goodies that you guys got in USA didnt even make it here.
Z cars wernt raced seriously in Australian mtor sport. probably more due to a lack of events and classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:07 pm 

ps.. would love to see some footage of the racing.. i cant any anywhere on the net.