Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Z shocks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:17 pm 

I have a quick question for everyone; we have a 1984 300ZX AE which is all original except for the shocks, and maybe the struts. We would like to continue showing the car as original, do I have to change the suspension or can I leave it. Please advise Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:13 pm 

It all depends on how anal you are with the car, sorry for such a nasty word, but anal retentive people are not the sharpest tacks in the box. For safety reasons, shocks, tires, spark plugs, and other commonly replaced items that the manufacture suggests will still keep the car on the road, and in a safe drivable condition. Some items are bound to wear down, leak, or wear out. If your going to be anal about certain things like safety items such as wheels and shocks, then I would not want to ride behind you on a cruise. I've had perfectly good but worn parts break on me when I least expected it, and I was only pushing the car to a decent limit. The last thing you would want to break is a lower control tension arm at 60 mph. It happened to me, so since then , when something breaks, up grade or at least replace with new. IF something is beyond or near it's lifetime limitations, replace it...and that way the car and you might survive long enough to transfer the car in near mint condition to your kids when you get tired of it... Your prior experience will also set up a list of the first things to replace when you get a car. Always do the important stuff, like tires, brakes, shocks, plugs, wires, distributor caps, belts and hoses. I've gotten stuck in the middle of nowhere for such stupid stuff like a radiator hose blown or a fan belt.... The fan belt broke, and the car over heated, and the radiator hose blows...head warps, the head gasket decided to not hold anymore......... and then after getting towed home...a $5 part could have saved me $600+... plus overheating on the George Washington Bridge, and causing a huge traffic jam in NY was slightly embarrassing. :oops:

The 84's are a little newer than my 74's....but still finding a decent set of shocks that still have the proper amount of nitrogen in them from 1984 is going to take a lot of time to find...and your time could be better used on something more important....like spending it with family or your kids. 28 year old decent things are getting harder to find, unless they just got divorced or you are rich. :lol:

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:34 pm 

Go to MSA, zcarparts.com, and see what they have, you don't need to buy the expensive adjustable ones either. It's one of those things that doesn't have to be original, like mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:57 pm 

Thanks for the response guys, but it’s not what I'm asking. The 84 AE had one of the largest lists of options of any car made in its day, with these shocks being one. Some shows that I have been to require if your car is being shown as 100% it must be 100%, others break it down to daily driver, or slightly modified to cover the changes that time brings on. I was just wondering how the club shows work. The car at present has a new set of KYB’s all round, I was not planning to drive around with a 25 year old suspension system, crazy, I am, stupid. I’m not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 am 

Hey Jim,
The judging at Z car shows is generally covered by guidelines issued by the ZCCA, which is the umbrella organizations for Z clubs. You can see these judging rules at their site - www.zcca.org under "downloads". There are many categories of classes including "daily driver", "stock" "street modified", etc. Only the "stock" category requires original equipment. In reality though, the shows I have attended recently are not that strict in terms of original equipment, especially when it comes to safety or consumable parts. On the other hand, judging at the annual Z convention is likely to follow strict adherance to the rules for this class. Hope this helps. Regards, Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:37 pm 

Thank you for the advice I will check out the Z web site you listed. Jim