Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:23 pm 

Those of you who have been following my strange re-unification with my old 240Z (bought it in the early 70s, sold it in the mid 80s, found it again and bought it back 6 months ago), know I received the car highly modified from its original condition; rebuilt engine, 5spd box, R200, "Space Cadet" chrome wheels, blue paint job, etc. I've spent the past 6 months pouring over the car and learning how it has changed and what still needs work.

One of the first things I noticed was that the power brakes didn't work. I spent many months in this Website bemoaning the fact that it was gonna cost me a bundle to replace or rebuild the MasterVac power brake booster, then pull the entire system off the car and replace all the lines and valves, wheel cylinders, etc. Long story, but each of us has one of our own, right?

WELL! Tonight in preparation for pulling the MasterVac system off the car to replace it with one which AirJockie graciously gave me, I pulled out the NonReturn Valve to see if I had to buy one of those, too.

Imagine my delight when I discovered it had been installed BACKWARDS!
:D (In all fairness to the Previous Owner, these valves are NOT marked in any way to tell you which direction to install them. They hide inside that little "bulb" in the power brake vacuum line, where it mounts to the firewall. The vacuum line is in two pieces, joined by this valve).

I put it in right, cruised to the end of the driveway, stamped on the pedal and nearly flew thru the windscreen! The power brakes work just fine, thank you! :lol: That saves me a LOT of money and moves me Quantum Leaps forward toward actually putting the car on the road. I nearly broke my nose, but I'm giggling like Elmo!

Just wanted you to share my joy! :D

Always check the basics first, and NEVER assume the previous mechanic did the right thing.

Z ya sooner, now!
Frank T
MbrshpDir
1970 240Z (Apr/70), w/pwr brks!