Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:45 pm 

Well, I found my water leak, and would like to say how important a battery tray is. I got this ZX last Dec. so not my fault but the damage is done. The acid ate the paint on the firewall, therefore water had it's chance to rust it away. I knew the Battery holder was rusty, but couldn't see this, until I went searching for the cause of my soaked carpet. Once I removed the carpet and started plucking rust away, (crying,) this is what I end up with. Also, my blower motor was just hanging there, so now I know why I had low air volume out my vents. Well, deal with I tell myself, and get R done. So I'm about half way there welding new metal in. I'm just a novice welder, and this gives me plenty of practice. The welds aren't the greatest looking, but it's SOLID, and that's all that matters. When I'm done, priming, painting, undercoating then add some duromat, she'll be good again. I except it's not a collectable, but I do enjoy the ride. Also, my front end started to shimmy, cause: ball joints, just came in today from NAPA, and also installing new strut arm bushings, (total cost was $118.00) Tie rods are new, so my front end will be tight, and I turned my rear brake rotors to rid that vibration. Can't wait for that long smooth ride, but must work to earn it. on top of other things I'm working on. I am so looking forward to some relaxing time. My whole summer has been, work, work, work. When we watched "Winning" last night, my wife says, that's me, (the character,) I think she's trying to tell me something. Good thing she has alot of patience, and a nice garden to tend to.

Attachments:
HPIM2113.JPG
HPIM2113.JPG [ 560.71 KiB | Viewed 5240 times ]
HPIM2110.JPG
HPIM2110.JPG [ 355.5 KiB | Viewed 5240 times ]

Post subject: BTDT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:39 pm 

Good luck, Paul!

Here's my adventures in the same repair realm...
Subframe
http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/vi ... me=album05

Floor
http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/vi ... me=album04

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:26 pm 

Thanks, I feel better now, I'm not the only one. I mean as far as patching things up. As long as the finish project looks good. Yours was the black and red interior at the show, right? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it looked darn good to me. My welds I guess are pretty good for a novice. Sometimes I get it just right and amaze myself, other times I kick myself, but practice makes progression. I do have a vocational type welding book, and reading has got me started. Mine isn't as intense as yours, I have a little more to do inside, then the underneath. It's always the passenger side isn't it. I painfully went through it and poked any week spots through, and grinded away. I too will put a coat of Duraglass over the inner floor when done, then the duramat. I did rebuild the floor rail on my 81 like you did with pieces cut like that. So that was good practice. Having the right tools is a good thing. I'm using a mig/argon welder. Have to use the glasses, my head and the shield wont fit in the cubby whole comfortably. I do a little, let it cool, ect. For the undercoating will catch fire, even though its inches away. Thanks for the pics. good influence. T.V. stand? :D I'm just glad my 240 isn't rotted, thank God. It's like the s130's had cheaper metal than the s30's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:10 am 

Yes that is me! Black and red.

I didn't use any dura-glass or mat, though its probably a good idea... I'm just too cheap?! I applied rustoleum, seam sealer, and occasionally truck bedliner or undercoat (aerosol) to the frame rails. I didn't use rustoleum on any body metal nor anything I envisioned ever repainting in the future - genuine autobody paints are incompatible with rustoleum.

I found that proper fit up is critical when welding. I used sheet metal screws (self tappers are great!) to zip it all up tight. Then I would spray some brake cleaner and wipe it down.

Like you I had my share of burned undercoating. Happens. On the plus size, it scrapes off easily when its warm!

Hang in there!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:52 am 

I'm just setting the metal in there, hold it with the hammer handle, tack weld that spot, and do that in several spots, then from the edges with the hammer, then weld. I just got the duraglass today, $50 a gallon and it last forever. The duramat is 5 per bax at $25. I'm cheap too. :D but I want the ride to be quite like a new car. So i'll end up putting that duramat in other places as well. Someone showed some spray foam stuff on zcar.com, and it's not the stuff from Home Depot, this stuff gets hard as a rock, soundproffs, and gets rid of the typical rattles and tinny sounds. I just want a nice ride for the 83, get the 240 on the road, then I can get on with the 79, complete tear down and rebuild. The 350 is in the shop getting slowly built. Yes, I said 350. I might be done by 2020, but it's in the works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:19 pm 

During one of our Spring meetings, Bob Sharp was asked, "If you could have improved the Z car in any single way, coming straight from the factory, how would you have changed them?"

His immediate response was, "WELL, METALLURGY WAS NEVER THEIR STRONG POINT!"

While visiting a 1971 parts car at my local junkyard today, I told the owner how I hated to see any Z car left to die this way. His immediate response was, "WELL, IF THEY HAD SPENT A NICKLE ON SHEET METAL I WOULDN'T HAVE SO MANY OF THEM IN HERE!"

Light weight has its costs. I've never seen a Tinworm, but they're all over the Z car like ants on a lollipop.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:22 pm 

Frank,

You know where there's a junkyard in Connecticut with Z's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:45 pm 

Yessir, I like a place in Wallingford called CHICK's USED AUTO PARTS (junkyard). Jim, Bryan and I have raided that place several times and I was there again today, searching for partZ for Paul in RI.
My computer won't let me load picz into the Forums, but I'll EMail you some shots I took today of a ZX 2+2 and a ZX T Top.
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:47 pm 

A zxt? T t t turbo? What's left of the under-hood goodies? Do tell, Frank!! Please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:00 pm 

Phil ~ yes, there's plenty of spaghetti left under the hood of every Z there except the 1971, which is missing the cam cover and carbs.

We did a full article on this place earlier this year. Look under CARS AND PARTS FOR SALE, and find the thread JUNKYARD PARTS CARs. Jim and Bryan and I have been having lots of fun in there, wondering why you never joined us.

I went there today to find bumpers for Paul in RI and Mike E in NY, and a cigarette lighter for Colin, also a grille for Paul. I only found the bumper Paul needed and I have to go back for that (come along?).
I took some more pics today but cant make them post in this forum. I will EMail them to you now.
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:18 pm 

Why couldn't they just galvanize the metal, uugggggg. I had a 78 Porshe, and what amazed me is there was no rust to be found on the body. Or aluminum like other Porshe's. O wait, that would cost too much.