Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:23 pm 

So at the 1st annual show there in Darien, I picked up the 240 downpipe, this was all I really need to "drive" my 240. I say that with "" because I'm shure it will need a little this and that. It's been sitting on jack stands in the garge since I towed it home, just for that one reason collecting my appreciation of finally owning a 240Z, wow. Now I'm getting anxious, but control is a must. So I go to put it on, and it is to close to the tranni. needs to curve out about 2". It's from CPI. So either I have an early 240 one, maybe 260-280, or the 5-speed installed by one of the PO's is the problem. So now, instead of my urge to drive it this fall, I might as well wait and go for the 6-2 headers with duals all the way back. I'm thinking about the smaller primaries with the 2 1/4 piping. The original performance package back in the day. That is the 240 I'm going for, one that is primarily stock, with some performance additions added back in the 70's. No new things. For instance, MSA 1 body kit, louvers, slotted aluminum rims, things like that. BIG, question, do I need a different diffy crossmember to do this, or fabricate anything, or is it as easy as said, just bolt it in. I'm pretty good with exhaust, matter of fact, I can make this fit, but deformed metal, (not factory looking,) isn't appealing on a classic. So I guess I'll shoot my goal for this in the spring, then I can drive it all summer!!!

Attachments:
HPIM2095.JPG
HPIM2095.JPG [ 355.86 KiB | Viewed 3969 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:28 pm 

Wow, pictures come out big here. (I'm not computer friendly) The part by the wrench, where the paint is scratched, is the point of contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:27 am 

Maybe a local exhaust shop could bent it for you a bit.

How badly is it rubbing?

Post subject: exhaust pipes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:27 pm 

hey paul, don't dispair, if you want to ride your car now i have the complete exhaust off my 260 - early you can have. it's in good shape and sounds good, but it's not 2.5, just 2", however it is free!!! it's in one piece so you will need a pickup or an suv to pickup and if your manifold is different i'll give you the one that matches the head pipe! but you have to install, that's as far as i'll go!!!! mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:42 am 

I would be honered to have a free exhaust, but I think the issue is the 81 5-speed in it. Must be slightly larger bell housing than the older 4-speed. I could spend the time and take a 5-speed bell housing over to my storage and compare it to the 4-speed I have. Or could call MSA and maybe they would no. I already ask my wife for a header exhaust system for Christmas, haha, I'll take that over an I-pod she was going to get me. I'd rather hear the music of my 240. Next spring, I'm ok, done sulking. My attention has been drawn to my water leak on my83, and o'boy did I find it. When I get done removing all the rust on my pass. side firewall, I'll post pics. and show why a batt. tray is important. Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:39 am 

Hi Paul ~
As I remember that downpipe, it was a NOS from an early 240, when they only offered the 4spd box. You might be correct about the 5spd making the difference. If you decide the pipe can't be used for your car, please consider bringing it to the October cook out and swap it off to someone who could use it. I remember it was a zero-miles new pipe, so somebody will find a use for it.

ALSO! I'm so glad to hear you describe the exhaust system you want: 6-2 straight back :D That twin-pipe option with tiny diameter (1-1/2"?) pipes straight back into two cigar-shaped Glasspack mufflers was the factory-option ANSA performance exhaust system I originally had on my car in the 70s, and NOTHING sounds like them! Members John and Colin both have that system on their 240s today, altho ANSA has been out of business for years. When John and Colin wear their systems out, there will be noplace to buy another. If you find any shop which can fabricate or duplicate an ANSA setup around your 5spd and R200 mustache bar, please let me know ~ it's the only exhaust setup I really want for my 240!

FINALLY ~ not your fault on the "BIG" picture posts in the Forums. It has been happening to everyone lately. Jim Hagani is aware of this problem and is working to fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:16 pm 

Well, I already cut the end to fit the rest of the exhaust that was on the car, with an adapter into a single 2 3/4 pipe. I'll do some research, but that exhaust sounds like a good choice.