Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Lime Rock
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:14 pm 

We went to the vintage car races at Lime Rock. The highlight of the afternoon we an absoulte dual between a 1962 Ferrari 250GT, 3 ltr. V12, 300 plus HP and a 1964 Datson Fairlady, 1982cc, ? HP. The Datson lost by 1.03 seconds but it was quite a show.

Attachments:
Lime Rock Vintage 08 011.jpg
Lime Rock Vintage 08 011.jpg [ 431.18 KiB | Viewed 5862 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:20 pm 

OH, MY DEAR LORD! HE'S RACING A REAL GTO!!! :shock

THAT CAR IS WORTH NEARLY TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS! There are fewer than 30 of them left in the entire world!

Mike, that photo has just become my computer wallpaper! THANK YOU!

(For those FEW of you unfamiliar with this iconic car, go to YouTube, type in "FERRARI 250 GTO" and select Steven Mitchell's documentary. This very car, #11, is shown in it).

I'm gonna go lay down ~ my heart's pounding!

Wow!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:19 pm 

Almost good walpaper, I must have to crop it somehow. GTO doesn't fit. So the last time I checked they were 3 million, but that was 20 years ago of course. Wow, that must of been quite a site. So I thought the original spelling was "Datsoon," not "Datson," but I could be wrong. Yes, for those who don't know, "Datsun" had no "U" in it at it's beginning.

Attachments:
datsun_20.jpg
datsun_20.jpg [ 60.16 KiB | Viewed 5845 times ]

Post subject: me too me too
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:25 pm 

Mike,

We were there on Saturday. There was an orange Z in the camping / parking area... yours perhaps?

I believe the driver of that Ferrari was a woman, but I have no way of proving it - just something I believe the announcer mentioned.

http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/vi ... m58&page=1

http://www.vimeo.com/user717500/videos

*let me know if the video link doesn't work - I just uploaded, I guess it takes time to process them all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:59 pm 

Nice videos Mike, I wish I had remembered this event was on this weekend, looks like a great time!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:09 pm 

Paul M~

Right you are, you old Historian, you!

"Origin of the DATSUN name can be traced back to 1911, when Masujuro Hashimoto founded Kwaishinsha Motor Car Works. (His) backers were three businessmen named DEN, AOYAMA and TAKEUCHI and the car took its name from their initials: D.A.T........(created a small sports-type 2 seater) that became known as the "Son of DAT" or DATSON."
Because the translation into Japanese from the English pronunciation of "SON" means 'to lose money', they changed the spelling to SUN and the car became DATSUN. (From "NISSAN/DATSUN" by John B. Rae, 1982, ISBN0-07-051112-8. )

Mike S~

I still haven't finished drooling over your photo array from ystrdy, and you send me VIDEOS today! I can't get them to work properly yet, which means I'll be up until dawn (AGAIN) trying to watch them!
Thanks tho! :lol:

BY THE WAY ~ is anyone else having trouble with their screen exploding into breadbox-size pictures??? I can't get mine to resize down to usable dimensions.

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:17 pm 

Actually frank my username isn't my real name. Its Mike - At - RPI (my alma mater). But I knew who you meant!

Thanks Phil & Frank for the kind words. I'm no photographer, I just like to snap some shots once in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:22 pm 

Rensselaer. Rensselaer. Rensselaer. Just wanted to see if I still remembered how to spell it without looking it up! Troy! RSC! Peter's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:25 pm 

Now touch your toes and say "Run" 3 times. 8=D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:34 pm 

By the way, Paul, the GTO was the first car to ever draw $1 Million Dollars at an auction, in 1988 or 89.
It was also the first Sports-GT car to reach 200mph on the Mulsanne straight at LeMans.
I am sending you a You Tube video which I hope keeps you up as many nights as it did me!
Frank

(And sorry abt mis-addressing the "Historian" credit ~ I thought it was Mike who brought that up).

Post subject: What a Weekend
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 pm 

Camped at Lime Rock Friday through Sunday...with the 240z!
mikeatrpi - the z you saw was mine...I had a number of folks stop by with kind words. And took a fellow camper for a spin on Sunday morning. It was great to finally get the z up there for the full weekend.

All in all a great weekend. The new spectator area on the opposite side of bridge, looking down the hill, is unbelievable....we watched the Saturday afternoon running of the GTO, Datsun roadster, and incredible Aston Martins...the drifting of the cars visible from this vantage point....just outstanding.

That GTO was incredible....with all of it's original 'patina'...probably worth more in this original form than restored. And the exhaust note(s)....a symphony to say the least.

Photos courtesy of my better half.

Cheers,
Colin

Attachments:
d type.jpg
d type.jpg [ 64.15 KiB | Viewed 5812 times ]
lrp porsche.jpg
lrp porsche.jpg [ 34.98 KiB | Viewed 5812 times ]
File comment: Giving my brother-in-law and nieces a quick 5mph lap around the campground in #11137
cfg lrp vintage z 08.jpg
cfg lrp vintage z 08.jpg [ 59.07 KiB | Viewed 5812 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 am 

Wow guys! Thanks for the awesome pictures and write-up on this event. I was hoping to be there but the "boss" has restricted my Z activities lately. She says I should spend some time with my kids - I think their names are Harry, Norm and ????. Anyway, it is nice to have guys like you that post pics for the rest of us that cannot attend every event. Ross

Ps -I have found that I need to re-size my photos before posting to this board - otherwise they are too large like some above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:32 am 

HEY COLIN!

Glad to hear your voice in here! :D

Did you ever find a cigarette lighter for your car? I'm still looking for one (for you). Haven't forgotten.

Great pictures! RHD D-Jag knocks my socks off. Drifting Aston Martins and GTOs.........V-12 and DOHC straight 6s echoing across the hillsides....the smell of burning Castrol in the air.....autumn leaves just beginning to turn....children roasting over open campfires.....ah! the joys of motor racing.

"Raise your mugs! Here's To Internal Combustion, and Wind in the Face!"