Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 pm 

I’ve always been in awe of people that do their own engine work and pull/swap engines in their garage. While I’ve done routine mechanical maintenance, I’ve never taken on such a “big” project. So you can imagine how pleased I was with my first engine swap, which I completed this past weekend.

It took three of us to get the old engine out. We did it the old fashioned way with just a lot of pulling and raw muscle. It was only 23 hp and I think something may have been wrong with the crank (not the crankcase - the crank). The new engine is approximately 310 horsepower and I was able to get it in all by myself, which I'm sure everyone on this board will agree was was pretty incredible (and impressive). It was so easy it practically “rolled” right in. Keep in mind that this was a 287 improvement in horsepower and man what a difference! Whereas the old engine made me feel like I was driving in a previous century, the new engine firmly planted me in 2008. This was a “TT” swap. Not sure what the first "T" stands for but the second T was written all over the old engine.

I gotta say it feels great to be able to finally contribute to the "Tech Talk" forum. I've posted before and after pictures below and if anyone wants any of the technical details I'd be happy to provide them. Regards, Ross

Attachments:
File comment: "Before"
IMG_2635sm.JPG
IMG_2635sm.JPG [ 158.03 KiB | Viewed 9266 times ]
File comment: "After"
IMG_2646sm.JPG
IMG_2646sm.JPG [ 170.6 KiB | Viewed 9267 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:59 pm 

DANG, BOY! YOU'RE DOING MY WORK FROM HERE ON IN!

YOU'RE HIRED ! :lol:

(And I've always admired people who were good with bodywork!)

Not bad work for a first effort, but you'll improve with time. Keep trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:06 pm 

Does that mean the "T" has left for it's new home in Michigan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:03 am 

Yes, the T left for Michigan late last Friday night. The buyer had a long trip home through Canada. It's nice to have the garage space back after storing the T for 11 years! Thanks for asking. Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:44 am 

Wow. 11 years of changing sparkplugs with an adjustable pipewrench. Imagine that. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:48 am 

NA to TT swap the easy way...

Open hood

Remove oil cap from NA car

Roll NA car out of garage

Roll TT car into garage

Open hood

Replace oil cap

Done :wink:

Or you could do it the hard way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:47 pm 

Barry, I couldn't help but notice when I looked at the picture you posted, that the turbo inlet pipe our your 300zxt motor is nearly identical to that on a 280zxt. I have been trying to devise a way recirculate my BOV and have not found a good way to "tap" into the pipe with some sort of 1" fitting. Any ideas you could share?? I've looked at pvc fittings at the hardware store and even stopped by a few boating stores, but with no luck.... I'm open to any and all suggestions. The BOV noise can be annoying at times (especially if the driver is over 50 LOL) and with an AFM setup, causes me to run rich between shifts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:30 am 

Well the recirc-valves on the TT are on the pipes from the high-pressure side of the turbo back to the intake side of the turbo. The fittings are welded into place. You may be able to use a pvc bulkhead fitting but those tend to work best on a flat panel, so I'm not sure where you could place it. Maybe the stock air-filter box? Your best bet is to find a good fabricator who can weld a fitting onto the appropriate pipe.

Here are some pictures of the piping from my car...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:39 pm 

Thanks for the tips Barry. I did look into the bulkhead fittings (reference to boating store in my earlier post) without success, but you've now provided an online source, which is appreciated.

I really do not have many options as to where in the "plumbing" to recirculate due to the AFM setup on the 280zxt's. Since the air being recirculated has already been metered by the AFM it has to be reintroduced after the AFM so it won't be metered again. So obviously it needs to be placed between the AFM and turbo. I do have the option to replace the AFM to turbo inlet with a hardpipe and have the appropriate fittings welded in.

Starting with the '84 zxt's with AFM's was replaced with the MAF for metering air and this issue does not exist.