Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:24 am 

Frank, I just reread your original post for the 10th time at least. I know I've mentioned this to you before, but you have an obligation to share your story with the Z community. Please submit your story to Nissan Sport magazine so everyone can enjoy it. You certainly have a way with words and story itself is incredible! I think it's a great example of why we all are in love with our Z's. You've already been published once in Nissan Sport so why not make it twice!

Regards,
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:30 pm 

.....I'm considering it.

I would have to modify the original story a bit and leave out some things only we are familiar with (nobody else would undrstnd the mention of how Ross borrowed a complete stranger's Triumph motorcycle in India, for example). And a "cold" reader wouldn't undrstnd the part about #2807 being "relentlessly hunted down" for 23 yrs, so that would have to be changed some.

But I'm considering it......

Thnx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:34 pm 

Frank, I agree with the Ross / India comment, but the relentless huntdown is self explanatory. Maybe just add a few lines at the end about how you had to find 'lil ol Miss 2807.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:54 am 

Well, I missed the opportunity to photograph these two carz together, but I did manage to do the next-best thing. I found an identical car at Lime Rock Raceway and parked #02807 beside it for some pictures!

This will at least give you a visual comparison of the two cars together. This car is also a 1967 GTB/4 Ferrari, indistinguishable from my 'Playmate" except by color scheme.

The GTB/4 Ferrari and the XK-E Jag both helped to inspire the dimensions, proportions and aerodynamics of the Series-1 240Z Datsuns. You can clearly see the lineage.

I still prefer my Z Car! :wink:

Frank

Attachments:
File comment: 6 DCOE Webers, 4 cams, dual ignition, 295bhp 'Columbo' V-12, 6 spd 'box. A real screamer.
IMGA1417.JPG
IMGA1417.JPG [ 56.07 KiB | Viewed 12913 times ]
File comment: Business office.
IMGA1419.JPG
IMGA1419.JPG [ 56.55 KiB | Viewed 12916 times ]
File comment: They DO look like they want to play, don't they?
IMGA1424.JPG
IMGA1424.JPG [ 56.39 KiB | Viewed 12916 times ]
File comment: Not identical, but similar from any angle.
IMGA1422.JPG
IMGA1422.JPG [ 56.29 KiB | Viewed 12916 times ]
File comment: DIstant cousins?
IMGA1423.JPG
IMGA1423.JPG [ 56.28 KiB | Viewed 12918 times ]
File comment: Dimensions are not very different. Style is similar.
IMGA1420.JPG
IMGA1420.JPG [ 56.45 KiB | Viewed 12918 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:26 pm 

Frank T wrote:

It's strange to see this magnificent Ferrari again. I find it significant that it can't find a permanent home ~ as if nobody wants to keep it for long. My little Zcar, on the other hand, was relentlessly hunted-down and is back home in its nest for the remainder of my lifetime.
Frank T

Hi Frank:
Great story.... Over the years I've been lucky enough to have many of the Classic, Collectible and Special Interest cars that I thought I wanted. They were indeed all wonderful to own and enjoy for a period of time - but the one car I never wanted to let go of is my 72 Metallic Blue Datsun 240Z. The truth is that I have a far greater appreciation for it today, than the first day I drove it home from the Dealership.

In my opinion it is simply the most beautiful and most enjoyable Sports/GT that I've ever owned. It does everything one could ask of a Sports/GT and it does it with grace, beauty and reliability. It fits me like a fine leather glove, has never left me stranded and its engineering and build quality have always amazed me.

With many Classic's or Collectibles one does get a certain amount of "exclusivity" and many people are willing to pay a significant premium for that. I've done it at times myself. Nonetheless that "exclusivity" really doesn't satisfy a love for cars for very long.

No question the V12 Jag and Ferrari held a certain appeal - but neither one really compares to the 240Z. The Ferrari was built for an Italian... never could get the seat, steering wheel and foot pedals arranged to fit me. After three or four things burned out on the Jag. I never did feel comfortable being more than a few miles out of town with it. {the Jag finally burned to the ground when the fuel injection hoses burst at a stop light one day}.

The mid year Corvettes were wonderful to look at in the garage - but you couldn't spend much more than a few hours in one without it becoming painful. The Muscle Cars were dreams of my youth, but after driving more modern cars - the Muscle Cars were log wagons by comparison.

Yes - if I won the Lotto today - I'd have another Ferrari. Perhaps a 275GTB/4 ... but it would be there just to look at. Maybe take for a short spin.. If I was going to drive across America - I'd take the Z.

The bottom line is that many wonderful and exclusive cars - aren't really all that wonderful to live with. The Datsun 240Z on the other hand is always wonderful to live with and beautiful to behold. That puts it in a class all by itself. There was nothing better before and there has been nothing better after.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Attachments:
All3In88.jpg
All3In88.jpg [ 134.74 KiB | Viewed 12904 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 pm 

Well said Carl. That explains why so many of us are in love with these simple yet elegant machines. Once you get the Z in your blood there is no cure. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:49 pm 

Well, it's an 'affliction' I will gladly suffer! :wink:

I love my Z. I've driven it across the USA twice and across Canada once, and (as soon as I get A/C installed in it) I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

You're absolutely right Carl ~ these cars just seem to "fit". They turn heads everywhere you drive them. They perform as hard as you push them or behave as nicely as you pet them. They are uncommonly dependable and, when something does break, you can usually fix it yrslf with the tools you carry.

In my three cross-country trips, #02807 cost me 4 headlamps, one alternator, a pocketful of fuses and a tire. Not a bad exchange for over 10,000 miles of fast fun.

TheZe carZ are simply the best Bang-for-the-Buck I've ever encountered.

Z ya soon!
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:00 am 

Seeing the V12 in the 275 remined me.. here is the engine in the 365 GTC/4
6 DCOE's, 4 Cam etc.

I loved this engine...

BTW - Nissan Motors USA had a Z in 1972 with the Nissan V12 fitted. They were testing the concept for America - but then the old embargo hit in 73 and all plans for a V12 or Rotary engine were scrapped.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Attachments:
Ferrari365EngC4.jpg
Ferrari365EngC4.jpg [ 142.43 KiB | Viewed 12880 times ]

Post subject: A White Knuckle Demo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:57 pm 

Frank, I'm tellin' ya, ya got a million of 'em!!

My first year w/Bob Sharp was in Sales, and usually to start a demo in a Z Car the salesman would take the car out of the lot and literally demonstrate most or all the features to the prospect, before letting the prospect take the wheel him/herself. Sometimes if the prospect appeared either experienced, or excited, or both, we would impress said prospect with what we called "a white knuckle demo." I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

I've been over the terrain and thru the tunnel that Frank described (much more vividly than I ever could), and I promise you that if I were with him at that speed on that course, I would be the one changing my underwear when we returned!

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:26 am 

August 2010:

I seem obsessed with this Ferrari. Every few months I look it up to see what's happening to it.

Since I Posted this story, it has apparently been sold to an owner in Japan, then to another in the USA, and now (?) appears to be for sale YET AGAIN, this time by Terry Scarborough Racing in Sonoma, California.

http://www.tsr-racecars.com/cars4sale/index.html

Again, the price is undisclosed. It would seem this car is being used as an investment rather than as a driver.

For what it's worth, my cheap little 240 gets driven several days each week. :wink: It's often dirty. It needs two little bulbs. It bumps during power shifts. The carpets need vacuuming. The wheels could use a rebalance. It will never be for sale again during my lifetime.

And I honestly wouldn't trade it for this Ferrari. 8)

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:27 pm 

Frank T wrote:
August 2010:

I seem obsessed with this Ferrari. Every few months I look it up to see what's happening to it.

And I honestly wouldn't trade it for this Ferrari. 8)

Frank T

Just like your windshield sign says!
But now you will have to add another line to the sign..............
~Rick~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 pm 

the January 2012 price for these cars has risen to $1,400,000. It's now officially worth more than my Z! :lol:

(But not to ME.... 8) )

Frank

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 pm 

May/2014 ~

And here's one which used to belong to Steve McQueen, which is just a tad more expensive than some others:

ttps://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/ ... 22593.html

Steve McQueen's 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 races to auction for around $8 million
By Alex Lloyd
10 hours ago
Motoramic

View gallery

When Steve McQueen piloted the now legendary Highland Green colored 1968 Ford Mustang GT in "Bullitt," it's entirely possible that the man nicknamed "King of Cool" was dreaming of another car: A brand-new 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4, a car he took delivery of during filming and one that will soon hit the auction blocks with an expected sale price of around $8 million.

When McQueen placed his order for the car in 1967, while filming "The Thomas Crown Affair," he had a few special requests: He wanted the original Nocciola paintwork – a metallic gold coloring – replaced with Chianti Red; for the five years McQueen owned the car, it was the only Ferrari in his collection – it had to be red, right? He also demanded a custom-designed driver's wing mirror, a retractable radio antenna and special seat trim.

But it was the wheels that appeared to peeve him the most; when the GTB/4 was introduced at the Paris auto show in the fall of 1966, it was the first Ferrari to ditch the traditional wire wheels. McQueen replaced the standard rims with a set of his own Borrani wire wheels from his beloved – and sadly crashed – Ferrari 275 GTB N.A.R.T Spyder.

Built by Scaglietti, an Italian coachbuilder situated across the street from Ferrari's Maranello headquarters, the 275 GTB/4 featured a four-cam, 3.3-liter V-12 engine boasting around 300 hp. It wasn't as rare as McQueen's original 275 N.A.R.T Spyder, where just ten were built between 1967 and 1968; and in today's market, it isn't quite as valuable as the 275's predecessor, the Ferrari 250 GTO – recently selling for a record $52 million.

But with the name McQueen etched as chassis number 10621's first owner – and with it later being sold to actor Guy Williams from "Zorro" and "Lost in Space" as well as spending time at Ferrari's own museum before the Prancing Horse's "Classiche" department restored it back to McQueen's exact spec – when it crosses RM Auctions' flagship block in Monterey on August 15-16, it's sure to be one of the star attractions.

View gallery
Steve McQueen's 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4
As much as we love the Mustang, it's easy to imagine McQueen becoming distracted by this glorious bright red sports car. Although if he was, it certainly didn't show during "Bullitt's" fabled car chase scene.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:56 pm 

Your link is broken . . . . . this one works. :wink:

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/steve-mcqueen-s-1967-ferrari-275-gtb-4-heads-to-auction--seeking-around--8-million-173222593.html

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:05 pm 

Gracias!!!