Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Taking it with you!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:05 pm 

No-one else is getting my Z.
I just learned of the ultimate way to ride into the hereafter.............
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/24/busi ... erals.html

CT plate PHILSZ

Post subject: Re: Taking it with you!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:44 pm 

When I first bought my Z in Hawaii, I also specified in my Will that I wanted to be buried in it. My lawyer advised me that Hawaii EPA would not allow such things but, if I was willing to pull the engine and gearbox first, I could be buried at sea in it. OtherwiZe, I'd have to wait until I lived in a different state to die.

I had read numerous stories about Brits and Aussies who had been buried in their elegant Bentley or Rolls (some with their hand on the gearshift), and a famous Hollywood actor who had died on NewYears morning (about 1959?) when he crashed his Facel Vega into an immovable tree while returning home from a party. He had been buried in (or with) that twisted wreck.

Some states do allow such burials, but in my experience those don't include Hawaii, New York, or North Carolina. Some states say you can pull the driveline (for environmental reasons) and be buried inside a casket, inside your car. I've measured my Z and, in order to slide my undersiZed coffin into it, they would have to drop the driveline (gearshift is in the way), pull both seats, and slide me in diagonally until my head touched the glovebox.

My childhood neighbor owned a hearse and a flower car, both pristine 1961 Cadillacs. I don't think he was an actual undertaker, he just owned and drove the cars for their services as a lease business. When his beloved wife died he asked permission to bury her in the beautiful long flower car. It was flatly denied, but it made our local newspaper.

I suspect part of the problem is that, over time, buried cars deteriorate and allow the soil above them to sink. Thirty-some-odd years after the funeral there might not be any relatives available to pay to have the sunken grave filled-in, and a car-size depression would effect graves on either side of it. I guess that was considered when this lady had the car (and herself) encased in a concrete box.

I no longer want to be buried in my Z. When I first considered it back in the '70s, it was simply a "used car" and they seemed to be everywhere. Today there might be fewer than 1,000 1970 240Z Datsuns left on the planet, and I want mine to outlast me and be enjoyed for decades to come. My Will now leaves the car to the young guy who saved it from the crusher and restored it, then showed pity and sold it back to me. I hope it gives him even half the joy in his retirement that it has given me.

Frank T

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:52 pm 

A bit morbid, but still eloquent as always Frank. :)

Not time to throw in the towel yetZ. Continue enjoying the driveZ. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:24 pm 

Having once made your living as a trained professional killer for the U.S. government, I happen to know you can handle a little morbidity, Howie. 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:14 am 

Ditto brother. " Live on and proZper. " :lol: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:20 am 

I have that same great idea, of course if there was someone I could leave it to that would appreciate it and carry on my dream, well that's the second choice. It could be my grand daughter, but she's only 9 months now.....not making life long decisions yet. :shock: