Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Weird DMV experience
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:49 pm 

CT DMV has recently changed their law enforcement computer system and it has caused me some strange problems this year.

I received a mailed notice from DMV last Fall that the insurance on my Z had lapsed briefly during the summer of 2021. That wasn't true ~ I've had continuous coverage on it since it came back into my possession in 2008. There was no lapse of coverage, ever, not even thru the winters. The notice warned me that I either had to pay a $200 fine or prove that I'd had continuous coverage, or I would be prohibited from registering (or updating) any vehicles.

I took the notice to my insurance broker and he promised to provide DMV with proof that I had never lapsed, and assured me everything would be fine.

It wasn't.

Last week I tried to register a new vehicle at DMV and was told the prohibition was still in place and they wanted the $200 fine, which I refused to pay. I visited my insurance broker (2d time) and complained that they hadn't notified CT DMV of my coverage as they had promised. They assured me they would do it immediately and I left before I hurt anyone. I made (yet another) DMV appointment for today.

At today's 3d DMV visit, they told me the prohibition was STILL in effect until I paid them the $200 fine, or I couldn't register (or renew) anything. I returned to my insurance broker a third time, struggling to behave myself. They proved to me they had notified DMV twice of my continuous coverage, and arranged to notify them the 3rd time.

I called DMV in Wethersfield and spoke with the Insurance Compliance unit (only a 22 minute wait on hold). This is what I learned, and what you might experience.

The new DMV computer system does not recognize "hyphens" in any VIN number, nor does it recognize any VIN which doesn't fit the current 17-digit format. Therefor, when my insurance company was sending notices of my continuous coverage and describing my vehicle by the 11-digit hyphenated VIN (HLS30-), the new DMV computer had no record of that number. Instead it was identifying my Z with the made-up 17-digit "VIN" of "CTUNKNOWN(plus my plate number)" and "1". Therefor, regardless how many notifications my Insurance company sent them, the new computer simply isn't programmed to recognize my actual VIN.

This is still being worked out (I still cannot register or renew any vehicles and I refuse to pay a $200 extortion fee for something which wasn't my fault), but you should be aware: because all of our Zs have "short" VIN numbers which contain a hyphen, this might also happen to you.

This should be a simple computer re-programming fix, but we all know what has happened to our beloved state in recent years. :evil:

More as it develops.

Post subject: Re: Weird DMV experience
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:22 am 

Need a flamethrower? I know a guy...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:20 am 

So you didn't break your cane over somone's skull yet? :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:18 am 

Coulda, Woulda, but I don't carry a cane anymore and there weren't any fallen tree branches in sight.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:55 am 

WHAT? Can't you/couldn't you just walk (without the need of a cane-Yea!) into your DMV with a "Letter of Proof" from your insurance company on their letter head, and hand it to a DMV Supervisor that's on-site and demand that he/she straighten it out then and there? I don't think I could have been as non-combative as you were. OoRah!
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:45 am 

Howie ~ No, Walk-Ins are verboten. You must go on-line to schedule an appointment which is always days ahead. Plus, the local DMV offices no longer handle any insurance issues: they are all handled by a single office (Insurance Compliance Office) which is located at DMV state HQ, many cities away. They are not available by Walk-Ins either.

In my experience here, there has never been a worse example of a "system serving the system", rather than serving the taxpayers who are funding it. "Take their taxes but withhold services".

Sad to say, it appears some other agencies might be adopting similar measures.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:48 pm 

Update: Today I received a printed message from the CT DMV Insurance Compliance Unit that the correction has been made, and they now recognize my actual VIN. No apologies, no explanations, no good wishes. Just a cold statement showing my proper HLS30- VIN number is listed in the new DMV computer.

This week I will take all my paperwork to my local DMV office and register the new vehicle I've owned for nearly 3 months.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:43 am 

Frank, from your last message are you talking about your Z and another car? :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:13 pm 

[quote="Frank T"]
Last week I tried to register a new vehicle at DMV ....

Sounds like a NEW addition, John. I wonder if it has a turbo-prop engine ... ?? Lol. :wink: :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:57 pm 

JohnnyZ. I think I found what Frank T. was trying to register at the DMV. Watch out John T.. :mrgreen: :) Looks nice Frank T., even if it's above your pay grade. LOL. :mrgreen: :shock: :D

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... bbe88372b5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:55 pm 

Hmm! That is a sweet ride. Not sure about those wheels though. They just look too big for the car. Maybe it's just me. Better wear a neck brace Frank! :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:02 pm 

(Heavy sigh): Welll, it appears this matter isn't finished yet.

Altho DMV admitted their new computer was in error due to my 11-character VIN, and finally authorized me to register another vehicle, I now have another problem with the Z registration!

They suddenly (inexplicably) show my Z registration as a PASSENGER plate rather than as a VETERAN plate. :roll: It's been a Veteran plate since 2008 and renewed on-time each year. It's still on the car and (like the insurance) has never lapsed.

A small matter, you say?

Well, no. My insurance company noticed this and sent me a letter today saying my insurance would not honor any claim unless the registration, VIN and license plate all matched completely. Effectively, I'm paid-up for insurance which wouldn't cover me in any incident. I can't even drive the car in good faith.

So I'm still not finished with DMV. :|
I think I should get a lawyer and sue them for incompetence and grief.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:20 pm 

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:48 am 

Seems that you need to rattle someone's cage a little higher up the food chain. In Westport we have quite a useful State Senator who effectively deals with incompetence in the state bureaucracy most of the time. Why not encourage your local Senator to earn his pay check on your behalf! Make it his problem.

CT plate PHILSZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:16 pm 

Hey, you know what? That's a great idea. My local pen-pusher is hot to trot for helping veterans (one himself, actually) and has an open door policy for breakfast at local restaurants. Thanks buddy! :thumbs_up: