Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:35 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 73 Z
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:37 pm 
1973 240z and I am the Second owner. I just got married and I have to sell it or trade for a toyota truck which i need for work.

New Poly bushing kit
New suspension (Tokico Shocks, Struts and Lowering springs )
Its lowered an inch, New Suspension Tech.s Sway bar on the front
Converted to a 5 speed by Radatz motorsports. NEW 6 puck sprung Clutch
The Flywheel is a 240mm from a 2+2 and has been lightened by a Machinist in my area, i can get the paper work if you need it.
New Brakes, Toyota 4x4 Calipers and New Rotors/Pads and Stainless Steel Brake lines.
New Recovered Racing Seats (Black Microfiber)
The interior is all black, good dash cover
New wheels and Tires, Z rated Tires, The Rims are 16" VSR Racing and are the ones on the sec pic. but i will throw in the old ones in the first pic too.
Painted Viper Red, the color looks different in different light, going from the 1st pic to the sec.
The car does not run yet, but I was the one who pulled the motor and drove the donor car here from SC
2.8L Turbo from the 83' 280zx Turbo's (150K on motor). new NGK plugs, kit with new fuel pump, Fuel regulator, stainless steel fuel line. Intercooler, I have a bunch of other things im giving with the car including 3" pipe for the exhaust and exhaust cutout and Magnaflow 3" in and out.
It has a R180 with limited slip diff. (clutch type)
The hood is the only difference in the pics, I put a 280z hood and painted the vents semigloss black and it looks amazing.

I spoke to him and he said he will include / needs:

needs fuel lines hooked up
needs wiing harness n computer connected
exhaust needs to be put on / welded Downpipe already on
100amp alt from 350 chevy needs belt and hooked up
20 fuel cell needs to be installed, has braided fuel lines ready to go on
tire well cut out needs sheet metal welded in place.
have intercooler piping 3" piping
silicone couplings
wastegate turbosmart external
mitsubishi stock bov
trans from 280zx not borg but is 5spd
bigger flywheel more surface area handle more power
new weatherstripping all around already installed
windshield cracked new weather stripping for windshield and rear glass included
aftermarket strut tower bar
lower mileage turbo about 100k comes with it also.

I have done a motor swap on a 91 mr2 turbo So i am comfortable working with cars and have experience. I have a friend who can weld. The guy who is selling it says its spent its life in the south. There was some rust before the paint and it was handled by his grandfather who painted the car for him. Paint was done very recently within the last year or 2. I am having him send me pictures of the frame rails and under the carpets of the floor boards tonight.

For $3800 is this a bad deal? I am putting a deposit on it tonight. Unless someone here yells at me haha

Oh and also, Toyota of Stamford rents trucks and allows you to tow with them. So anyone who needs a tow vehicle to rent go there. Its literally the only one I found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:49 pm 

That would represent a year's worth of work for me, and probably close to double that price by the time I got it moved up here and put together.

Make sure he has clear paperwork with it (ensure you're not buying somebody's stolen Z) and generally ask "how far south" the car is from. I imagine there were a LOT of Zs caught in the Katrina mess of 2005, which are just now surfacing (no pun intended).

I wouldn't have any problem with the price, per se, but it doesn't sound like the engine has been rebuilt or the turbo, either. There might be a doZen little areas you have to correct (wiring, for example, with a chevy alternator ~ did he upgrade the fuse block too?) but if you're OK with wrenching yourself and can trace and analyze such problems, the price shouldn't scare you away.

Get some good pictures first, before you send him any money. I always wonder about such "good deals" ~ if the cars are so hot, why do these owners have to advertiZe them nationally? Why isn't there someone there in his local area who knows about the car and is jumping up and down, demanding his buddy to sell it to him?

The local boys obviously offered him less than he's asking you for. Why?

Frank

Post subject: Z
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:27 pm 
http://picasaweb.google.com/Louishenrybaker/MyZCar#

Those are pics.

He didnt advertise it nationally...I found it with some searching on another forum. There are a bunch of people that were asking questions on the forum but he didnt go on again to check the ad. He didnt put e-mail or number in the ad. I got his e-mail through his avatar on the forum and shot him a message. Then he gave me his number and we spoke on the phone and gave me more info. Its def. not stolen, I see his prior posts on the forum. Went from stock l24 when he first got it to a project car thats has had slow progress since late 2008.

for smoothness i might just use stock alternator if its a hassle. But I planned on making the car drivable within a month or 2 working on it every night and weekend which it seems possible to get done. Then winter after this one do a proper 350z motor swap. Im not too concerned on mileage of motor as I only want it to go for a summer or 2 until I am ready to do a good VQ project over winter time. I just want something cheap I can go about in now.