Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:31 am 

Remember to bring your cameras!
Z y'all there!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:33 am 

Looked great, lots of cars for sure.

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:07 pm 

Great day for a car show. There were too many cars to see, filling the entire industrial complex with cars in every available parking spot. The show seemed to consist of mostly "tuner" cars so lots of Hondas, Mazdas, Toyotas, Nissans, Skylines, Acuras and even a few Z cars spread around the show. I just took a couple of pictures, one of which was a bright yellow Morgan, the other is of our little group of Z's amongst some interesting company. Alan may be posting more.

Cheers!

Attachments:
C&C Walingford Morgan1.jpg
C&C Walingford Morgan1.jpg [ 78.37 KiB | Viewed 2207 times ]
C&C Wallingford1.jpg
C&C Wallingford1.jpg [ 41.27 KiB | Viewed 2207 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:23 pm 

This was fun. And I agree with John that there were simply too many cars to see at one sitting. A constant stream of them kept flowing thru the entrance until it was obvious to everyone except the gate guard that there simply wasn't any more space to park new vehicles. Many of them just kept circling the interior of the huge industrial park like starlings seeking a place to roost.
I can't guess how many vehicles there were, but certainly several hundred.

We parked together and the Zs drew a lot of attention. I was happy to see many of the younger generation Ooooo and Ahhhhhh over our cars, and a lot of girls laughed about the CTZCC thong I hung from my mirror. :lol:

We got to tell a lot of stories about the cars and answered a lot of questions.
I was very impressed by one young 20-something guy who seemed to know everything about the early Zs, even tho he had never owned one.

We took turns watching the cars so others of us could tour the industrial park (which was really too large to walk).

I too honed-in on that 1973 yellow Morgan 4+4 with the stock 95bhp Ford 1500cc engine. The owner said his dad had owned a Morgan 3-wheeler powered by an aircooled JAP motorcycle engine when he was a kid, and it had left such an impression on him that he became a lifelong Morgan dude himself.

I saw a 99-point 1963 first-Sting Ray (two words) convertible 327 4 Spd, which looked as if it had been trailered-in; honestly, there wasn't even a bug anywhere on the car or stones in the tires. True Concours. Later we saw another 1963 split-window coupe cruise thru the crowd, but too far away for us to examine.

A blue Ferrari mid-engine 308GT coupe parked beside us, which everyone ignored enroute to our cars. I don't think more than a dozen people stopped to look at it, so the guy left early. That's what he gets for parking near Zs. 8) There was also a stunning Aston Martin DB10 parked alone and abandoned, with nobody around to answer my questions about it.

I've been to two major car shows in two days and probably looked at over 1,000 cars, and not seen a single Jaguar of any style or year. I truly hoped to see an XK-150 Fixed-Head Coupe in any condition. :cry: Today, finally, I stumbled into an open garage which was restoring 10 old classic cars and Lo! and Behold! there was a humble 150, stripped down to the bare metal with everything removed from it. The body is clearly being prepared for an acid-dip preparation for a full Resto. It made my weekend complete to finally have my wish come true. The XK-150s were made from 1957 thru 1961, and were replaced by the XK-E. The two cars shared identical 3.8L 6-cylinder DOHC engines, and either car could reach 150mph.

Eventually people began leaving. A large crowd of maybe 200 people gathered at the exit road and lined both sides of the 1-way street, cheering and urging every car to smoke the tires on the way out while they filmed it. It didn't make much sense to me to be filmed coming and going (with license plates on both ends of the car), driving recklessly thru a crowd of crazy civilians who were close enough to touch both sides of the car. Knowing that would appear on You Tube and that all our cars wore the Club decal, discretion became the better part of valor. We beeped and waved at all the happy people as we chugged slowly thru them, and no blood was drawn, nor sheetmetal bent.

We found a nearby restaurant which wasn't packed full of the car crowd people, and had an enjoyable brunch together at one round table on the veranda. Altogether this was another really fun gathering, engineered by Johnny Z and enjoyed by all.

Thanks John! This was fun. WELL DONE. :thumbs_up: :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

Once again, I am unable to post pictures here on our website, requiring another 1,000 words for each description. :?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:17 am 

The Cars and Coffee event was a first for me. Our little group of Z owners was as always a great time. Our lunch stop at Rick's was a great way to sit and enjoy each other's company.

The event was just too large for my liking. I'd guess I was able to see 25% of the cars present. I kept thinking "safety" and there was nfw first responders could respond effectively if needed.

I guess I'm a bit spoiled by the great Z events I have attended. With warmer weather, I'm looking forward to other "fun-runs" with a great bunch of Z people!

Alan

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:50 am 

I certainly agree about the first responders. I met two event organizers wearing radios and asked them if they had any food trucks in the park. They didn't, but said one was due "in about 10 minutes". I never saw it. And it was a Cars and Coffee event, with only a single, small 3-man towed trailer, slowly serving overpriced ($8 and $11) cappuccino and lattes to the thousands of visitors (probably a family member given a monopoly). I asked the event organizers if there was an ambulance standing-by and they actually laughed at that concept. They said they held about 8 of these events a year and "have never needed an ambulance" so they never provide one. I guess the first person to have a heart attack or get run over by a car (especially in the crowded burn-out exhibition at the exit) is out of luck. Also, big dogs were allowed in the show and some of them became loud and snarly. I don't even want to think about the chaos which would ensue if one or more of the cars caught fire in such crowded conditions, or if rival "clubs" started a fight (or a gunfight) in such a lawless atmosphere.

The big crowd was mostly friendly and nothing bad happened, but it might not have gone that way, and it was clear these 'organizers' weren't prepared for any emergency at all. Due Diligence should cause them to have police, fire and medical personnel at-hand during such huge events, but I guess they are destined to learn that the hard way. We had fun and nothing dangerous happened, but I felt we were lucky and got away with something.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:11 pm 

I agree, bigger is not always better. The crowd however was friendly and everyone I spoke with was that way. But I too was a bit concerned over the safety aspect of a gathering this large without any emergency preparations, refreshments or restrooms. I'll be working on another fun run soon so keep checking the Upcoming Events!