Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:12 pm 

Me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:25 am 

Ha, 8am, well that means I have to depart at 4:30am, which is my normal time of getting up on a normal day, but if I have something going on at night I either sleep in or take a nap....sooooooooooooo, I just might go to Roscoe the night before and meet yall at the Diner. I'll just stay at the Rockland House, and if anyone else wants to split the travel time into 2 days, I'll call and see what they have for rooms that weekend. Of course for me things are still up in the air at the moment because of my Father and his slow recovery from a stroke, and not sure who in the family is coming down, and when. Dad would want me to enjoy life and the 240 is ready..........as of yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:21 pm 

Let us know your final plans.

Karl will probably shoot straight west from his place and meet us in Rochester. Big Al's plans are not yet known to us; maybe he will caravan with Karl since they travel mostly the same route?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:57 pm 

REMINDING EVERYONE INTERESTED that tmrw, Wed/10July, is the deadline date to sign up for laps at the Glen for this event.

You can still get on the track with the rest of us if you sign up not later than Wed10July. Chase (or lead) our Zs around Watkins Glen International race course in your own Z. Have your car and yrslf immortalized in a group photo on the track! Give yrslf one more great bar story about your Z.

DO IT!!!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:38 am 

Hi all

Planning on leaving Fri and spending the nite at a friendz place in north central Pa.
Itz 90 min or so south of The Glen which iz where
i'll be meeting up w/ you guyz.
Zee ya there!

Al

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:52 pm 

Looking forward to seeing you there! :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 am 

Slight change in my plans, I will also see yall at the gate on Saturday. The colors of Japan will be there. :thumbs_up:

Attachments:
20190715_060200[1].jpg
20190715_060200[1].jpg [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 5836 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:09 pm 

See you at the Glen Paul! :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:40 pm 

Looking fwd to meeting with my Z-Buds at 0800 Friday and heading to Rochester for this great annual event. Only about 36 more hours to go before blast-off!

:D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:01 am 

:thumbs_up: :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:58 am 

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: 8)

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:46 am 

Off we go!
Zee y'all in a few days!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:49 pm 

We are back safe and in one piece from a fun weekend in beautiful western NY!

The ZCCR folks outdid themselves again this year hosting this fun-filled event. I can't thank them enough. There were 6 members of our club that attended this event this year including Big Al, Paul, Frank T., Karl (and his wife Barbara), Mike (my son) and I.

Great Lakes Classic Cars hosted a Friday evening event including food and drinks. Their shop was filled with many gorgeous cars. Thanks again to them for being such generous hosts.

Saturday morning it was off to the Glen after staging our groups at the Damascus Center. The 2 hour trip south to the Glen was spectacular. Great country roads and views of the lakes.

At the Glen we had two "lap sessions" including a 2-lap run, followed by pictures on the home straight, then followed up by a 3rd lap. It was hot (no AC in my car :roll: ) but fun with speeds approaching 100MPH. Frank T was riding shotgun in my car and announced that we hit 90MPH coming out of the second to last turn before the straight!

After our laps, we were off on our own to find food and drink and head back to the hotel to "freshen up". That evening many of the entire group gathered at The Beer Hall Grill and Taps for some cold beer, drinks, tasty grub and good conversations.

Sunday morning was the Motorfest Show back at the Damascus Center where many cool cars were on display. There were cars of all types, food , vendors, music and lots of nice car people to chat with. The proceeds from the show help to support local charities in the area. Mike and I finally said our goodbyes and left the show early to take the long HOT ride home. My trip odometer read 926 miles which included the round trip to NY and the Glen excursion. Mike's digital outside temperature gage read 98 degrees as we came though Waterbury CT at around 5PM. However, my '71Z performed flawlessly the entire weekend even in all that heat. I gave her a little pat on the roof after parking her in the garage and said "good job" :)

For those interested, I posted two videos of our track laps on You Tube. Just type in the following to view them:

"Motorfest 2019 video1" for laps 1&2
"Motorfest 2019 video2" for lap 3

Play them loud!

My favorite part is watching Big Al get out of his little red Z car. :lol:

Attachments:
File comment: Group pictures on the Home straight
Motorfest 2019 6.jpg
Motorfest 2019 6.jpg [ 230 KiB | Viewed 5738 times ]
File comment: Lined up at the Glen
Motorfest 2019 3.jpg
Motorfest 2019 3.jpg [ 275.13 KiB | Viewed 5738 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:13 am 

Whew! just returned from a thrilling weekend with the ZCCR's annual Motorfest extravaganza. I'm beat but very happy and grateful to all the CTZCC members who turned out for this event. There were actually 12 of us present if you count all our members who came from other states; a good showing.

As John described, we all had a blast and I don't feel guilty about rubbing it in for those who didn't attend; you missed a really good time.

At the Glen we ran the full 11-turn, 3.4 mile "long course" with "the loop" (chicane) and "The Boot" (attachment below).

I gratefully rode-along with Johnny Z in his perfect 240, which gave me a different perspective of the course than I usually experience by running solo. John was very gracious to allow me to add weight to his car, altho in my own defense I did serve to balance the little Z for him. I was most impressed by John's excellent driving style and by his super-sticky tires. He has driven his car enough years to become very proficient and confident in it and he knows the balance limits; he was able to throw the car thru several turns at speeds around 100mph without making the tires cry or break loose in spite of big G-Force numbers.

We went fast but were not allowed to pass and we had about 3 dozen cars on the track. The Pace Car led us around for two laps at speeds just over 100, but came up behind the last two lagging Corvettes; they wouldn't pull over and let us play thru and the Pace Car would not lap them. That slowed the entire field down to those two Corvettes' annoying speed for the final moments of the 2nd lap. It was a thrill, knowing we were about to lap 25 year old Corvettes in 50 year old Z cars after only a single lap around the circuit. :twisted:

A photo break on the start/stop line let the cars, drivers and tires cool off some (it was about 97*F in the sun), then the pace car pulled off and let us run a (considerably faster) final lap by ourselves. Even with a casual rolling start, "politely" sorting thru much traffic and carrying an extra adult in the car, John ran a respectable 3:44 final lap which equates to just about an even 100mph average. It was a thrill to watch him enter, hold, and exit a couple sweeping turns at a constant 90-100mph speed without drifting or sliding the car.

As opposed to Lime Rock Park (who mark the beginning, apex and exit of each turn), WGI marks only the apex and lets you figure out the rest. John held perfect lines and excellent throttle control thru most of the turns and it was obvious his skill would have let him overtake more powerful cars if passing had been allowed. I would like to watch him run the whole course under practice conditions with no traffic and no passenger to see what kind of times he could produce in his nearly-stock 240. His car's ANSA exhaust sounded downright delicious up around a sustained 5-6,000 rpm and I can only imagine how good it might have sounded from outside the car.

Several of us Clubbies got to spin tales for an hour around the fire pit outside the hotel that night until the wind gusted up, the temperature dropped 15*F in a single minute (a blessed gift) and it began to rain. The accommodations were great, the food was all good and Sunday's car show was worth the trip alone. I finally got a Hot Wheels model of Tom Bork's 1969 240Z HLS30-00008 D/Production factory racer. I've been trying for over 2 years.

It was great Zeeing the ZCCR guys again and I stand to salute them for yet another fun and exciting weekend. These guyz never fail. Well done, Rochester.

I had an amuZing Millennial Moment at the Sunday car show. The ticket girls approached me offering 50/50 and raffle tickets at good prices. Since this whole extravaganza was for charity anyway, I reached into my pocket and handed the older girl my entire fistful of $2 bills and told her I'd buy however many tickets they would buy me ($28 total). She looked at the bills, made a duck face and handed the wad back to me, saying she couldn't accept 'old money' for tickets and would have to get permission to take them! They had all been minted since she was born. :lol: I didn't get any tickets, and her charity didn't get any of my $2 bills. :lol:

Verily, verily I say unto thee, we have woefully failed today's generation. :roll:

Zee you guys again next year, if the creeks don't rize.

Frank T

Attachments:
220px-Watkins_Glen_International_Track_Map.svg.png
220px-Watkins_Glen_International_Track_Map.svg.png [ 19.99 KiB | Viewed 5724 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:28 am 

Here are the actual You Tube links for the 2 videos from the Glen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDb-nBAKXpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVhS7-00GY8

Enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next