Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:21 pm 

We will miss you Karl. Hope the surgery is a success. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:49 pm 

I may be able to make this! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 am 

It is apparent I will not be able to make this trip this year, but I encourage anyone else who can, to do it! I have attended several years and have never been disappointed.

ZCCR throws one heck of a grand weekend event. They arrange low rates for excellent hotels, serve really good chow, showcase about 100 cars, hire (I suspect) beautiful women to walk around the area, play great music, and take the most-scenic route to Watkins Glen raceway and back. And of course the road trip there and home is worth it, alone. Everyone is friendly and has a good time, and they are always happy to zee us arrive from CT. The fun of driving your own Z on street tires at 100mph around The Glen is simply priceless and makes for a great bar story (should you ever find yourself in a bar :roll: )

I really hope some of our newer-joins (and you too, JP) can convoy-up with the old salts and arrive together. It's a family oriented-event so you can take your significant other or kid and the proceeds go to charity, making this a Win-scenario in every direction.

For goodness sake, take your camera!

Hoping my Z might be ready for next year,
Frank T

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:05 pm 

I'd love to do this but it's not going to happen for me after all this year. Too much going on to get away unfortunately.

WHEN I do get to go 1.) I will be caravaning up with the old salts for sure 2.) I'm sure it will become a regular event for me. Sounds too fun!

It will be more fun to run the Glenn once Vinny puts the new cam in my Z anyway. Not sure mine would keep up as it is anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:17 am 

I'm jealous of anyone leaving today to attend this event. Please say HI to John T for me and his great crew and send my regrets for not having a chance to be there this year.

Enjoy the ride, take many pictures for us, and "safe home".

Frank T

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:07 pm 

And for me as well, I have attended the last 4 years and this is my first missed since I bought another Z.
John and his crew put on a first class weekend every year. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: 8)
I will miss doing The Glen in my new TT and I was so looking forward to it. :x :? :(

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:58 am 

Wow, it's full-sunny and 78* at Watkins Glen right now, and John is flying around the track. Picture it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:18 pm 

Imagining the sounds of all those L engines howling away......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:47 pm 

Is everyone home safely from the trip?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:27 pm 

May have stayed an extra night. The whole Sunday is the car show and it can be exhausting. Some locals drive home that afternoon but many of the long-distance guys give themselves a night's sleep first. I know I did. The hotel has a big bonfire out back and it's a good place to hang out and unwind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:03 pm 

Well, SOMEbody should home by now......... :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 pm 

Thanks Frank, makes sense. Think I'd stay too.

You're right though..... Where are the pictures?? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:41 am 

Uhhhh........John? Did you actually go this year? Did you decide to live there? Is your Z ok? :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am 

Well both my old Z and I made it back to CT after a terrific weekend in Western NY. I can't thank John Taddonio and the rest of the Z Car Club of Rochester folks enough for the effort they put into this event. It all started Friday moring with my drive from home to Webster NY. The weather was cool, and cloudy. I hit one rain storm just south of Binghamton NY but got through it without a hitch. I deliberately retraced Frank T's route to this event that we took 2 years ago so I could pass through the pretty town of Skaneateles NY again which is located on the north end of the finger lake of the same name. The Z ran great, mind you this is the first major trip I took with the new Pertronix ignitor installed :roll: After driving the 343 miles, I arrived at the Holiday Inn in Webster NY about 1:30PM and started seeing some of the out of town Corvette Club members arriving who were also invited to this event show up. Nice folks, nice cars.

As usual, the ZCCR folks did an outstanding job preparing for this event. Friday night, those of us from out of town were invited to visit the Great Lakes Classic Cars facility in nearby Hilton NY (http://www.GLClassicCars.com) for a casual gathering. GLCC went all out serving a great BBQ, salads, beer, wine and soft drinks. The eye candy was amazing. This is a really cool place that moves about 30 classic cars a month (see pic).

On Saturday morning we all met at the Damascus Center in Webster for our trip down to the Glen. I got in one of the groups led by John Taddonio and had a wonderful time enjoying the scenic "spirited" drive that JT took us on. The drive eventually took us through what was once the original race course through the countryside and town. Those race drivers must have been nuts back then :shock: . Shortly after arriving at the track, we formed a line of cars with the track pace trucks spaced in intervals. They guided us around the course twice. Let me tell you these guys can move those heavy metal machines around the course pretty fast. The experience I had was awesome, reaching at least 90 MPH is some stretches. The tires were groaning, the downshifts sounded awesome and the grin on my face looked like the one on the Cheshire cat. :D. I took some videos of this so be on the lookout for them. I will post the YouTube link later in the week as a follow up on this topic.

After completing the two brisk laps, we stopped at the finish line (see pic), for a quick photo shoot. I suggest that in a few days you check the club website, http://www.zccr.net to view pictures from the whole event. We then got back in our cars for one more fun lap around the track before heading out. I had lunch in Watkins Glen with JT and Tom Bork who owns and races a 240Z along with his son Adam. We were also joined by about 10 other staff and attendees for some good food and car chatter. After that JT, Tom, Adam, me and a few others stopped for ice cream at Seneca Farms on our way back. Again, a neat little place to stop for a quick refreshing break.

Sunday was the car show sponsored by the ZCCR. The weather once again was beautiful and there were at least 200 "vehicles" attending. The show supports a local charity which makes it all the more worth attending. There were food vendors, lots of stuff for sale, silent auctions, trophies, raffles, shade trees a DJ and so many cars to see and friendly people to chat with. Lots of fun!! Oh, and Frank I found your next car! I figured an even trade for your Z would seal the deal - Picture attached.

I left for home around 1:30PM so I could avoid driving in the dark and the deer for the 6 hour trip in my old Z. I made it home about 8 PM Sunday. I was was so glad that I made this trip. I suggest you guys really try to attend this event as it is one you will thoroughly enjoy and remember.

Thanks again to John Taddonio for inviting us and all the work he and his crew put into making this such a wonderful event! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Attachments:
File comment: Watkins Glen Photo Op
WG4.jpg
WG4.jpg [ 67.91 KiB | Viewed 5384 times ]
File comment: JT in his 300ZX Turbo
JT1.jpg
JT1.jpg [ 68.7 KiB | Viewed 5384 times ]
File comment: Great Lakes Classic Cars
GL Classic2.jpg
GL Classic2.jpg [ 76.29 KiB | Viewed 5384 times ]
File comment: Says it all!
carshow13.jpg
carshow13.jpg [ 58.58 KiB | Viewed 5384 times ]
File comment: I'm in love!
carshow12.jpg
carshow12.jpg [ 71.34 KiB | Viewed 5384 times ]
File comment: Wholly #$%^&!!
carshow10.jpg
carshow10.jpg [ 80.5 KiB | Viewed 5384 times ]
File comment: Keeping nice company
carshow5.jpg
carshow5.jpg [ 85.86 KiB | Viewed 5384 times ]
File comment: Frank T's next car!
carshow1.jpg
carshow1.jpg [ 85.33 KiB | Viewed 5384 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:42 pm 

:lol: What a great report! So sorry I didn't have a car to make his in. Looking fwd to seeing the other photos and videos.

And we have to talk, Mike. :x There's no WAY I'm swapping my Z for anything else.