Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Father's Day in PA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:03 pm 

I know what you mean although I spent the latter part of my childhood in a modern home. Old houses have far more charm and character than most new homes. The attention to detail and quality of materials and craftsmanship is unmatched and seems to be a thing of the past.

The earlier part of my youth was spent in a post war bungalow, complete with skeleton keys and glass fuses in the panel box. The trimwork was nicer than the furniture ( not that I paid much attention then).

My grandparents house was FRAMED in true dimensional American Chestnut. Even the wood you don't see in those older homes is nice.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:13 pm 

Jay- Would you know if the Car Show is a "Judged" show or not? Just askin'. :D

Howard J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:01 pm 

It is actually Howard. Last time I had showed a car there I didn't win, but I left with a digital tire gauge and some other small prizes....I think they gave them to everyone.

I was just happy to be there. :)

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:14 pm 

SO... to answer questions on planning the Fathers Day car show in Scranton, Pa....

Frank T. - I probably wouldn't mind looking for a "Days Inn" type motel (I remember $7 per night about fifty years ago, before bed bugs existed) as long as I can see my Z and no bed critters. An included breakfast would be nice but not mandatory.

I would probably hit the road about 5am that Sunday (Saturday with family and kids) and stay over that night so I'd be able to take a leisurely drive home without the "fear" of traveling through "dreaded N.Y.C." :twisted: :shock:

Howard J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:39 pm 

jp260z wrote:
It is actually Howard. Last time I had showed a car there I didn't win, but I left with a digital tire gauge and some other small prizes....I think they gave them to everyone.

I was just happy to be there. :)

Jay

What car did you bring to the show? Was it professionally or attendee's judged? The date's on my calendar. :thumbs_up: 8)

Howard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:44 pm 

( 8) Howie's goin' for yet another trophy :lol: )

Howard has this whole "Z" thing figured out:

1. Find a perfect Z in a barn;
2. Wash it;
3. Win another trophy each time you take it anyplace. :lol:

Howie, buddy, you're a LOT smarter than you look. :mrgreen:

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:47 pm 

Time for glasses Frank? lol. Let me know if you find lodging.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:01 pm 

Haha, I think he does have it figured out Frank!

Howard, to be honest I don't know, but I'm going to guess it's judged by the attendees. The founders of this club are a bunch of gearheads that used to drag race on a stretch of road very near where the show is held back in there youth. They are a friendly bunch (they are car people) and all are treated well. The car I showed was my Z actually, this is going back about ten years now and was the only time I showed it. It was also the last time I had it on the road until last summer.

To answer your lodging question, the nearest 4 star is our Mohegan Sun near Wilkes Barre, PA. Not terribly far from the show, I'd estimate 20 minutes or so without traffic. I'd be surprised if you could actually see your Z from your room however.

A much closer option is the Scranton Hilton (3*), which is a stone's throw from Nay Aug Park and features a parking garage. I was there for an event once and it is quite nice. Across the street from the Hilton is the Radisson Hotel, which is a historic landmark here. It's a great old place but I'd feel safer parking at the Hilton I think.

Frank there are a number of options for hotels/motels in the area. Dunmore, PA and Dickson City, PA are neighboring towns and just a few exits to the show. The Quality Inn in Dunmore, or the Microtel in Dickson City are nearby. I spent a night in the Microtel once, good place.

Also Frank, there are several vendors that work the show to take care of feeding everyone. I always get sausage and peppers, I'm a sucker for them. Usually the first of the season for me haha.

Hope that helps guys!

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:33 pm 

Thnx Jay ~ I'm booking at the Comfort Suites, 44 Montage Rd (570) 347-1551, 04 highway miles from the park along Rte81. Discounts for AAA, AARP, Old People, Govt (military) and exceptionally sophisticated people (Karl and Barb). Less than $100/night after all taxes, fees, penalties, surcharges and made-up expenses. I will arrive Sat and leave Sun after the show in time to get back here before dark. Plenty of rooms available now for that weekend, but I wouldn't wait too long to reserve one.

There might even be a carwash somewhere nearby.

Two or three years ago when we made the trip to Rochester for their Z weekend, it rained harder overnight than they've seen in anyone's memory. All the cars were parked in the open lot and many of them had decals washed right off the windows. I had parked my Z covered with road grime, brake dust and dead bugs, fell into a deep sleep (never even heard the thunder) and when I woke up my car was the cleanest I ever remember it being. EVER. It was a natural Pressure Wash and didn't cost a nickel. Even the tires and wheels were immaculate. Please try to arrange something like that for Saturday night, Jay.
Thanks. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 am 

:shock: :?: My reservation was slightly over $100 when I booked on-line. :? Did you give them some false news information or use some witchcraft? Aye. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:22 pm 

You didn't tell them you were Old Corps, Howie. I asked for the cheapest single room at the highest discount. They have discounts for AAA, AARP, Military, Pulchritude, and old guys.
Depending on what discount you use, you can get a single room for $87, $98, or $103.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:10 pm 

:D :thumbs_up: It's higher probably because I chose not to go with the "non-refundable" option :wink: @$87. Still a good deal. :thumbs_up: If we knew how many members were in need of lodging, then a rate deal (I was told) might be possible through their Sales Mgr. and a block of rooms reserved. Something to keep in mind for the next time. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:53 pm 

Yessir, we tried that once but the contract required one member to reserve all 10 rooms on his credit card, and if any were left unused he would have to pay for it. Didn't like that and didn't do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:50 pm 

I know where that is, you shouldn't have any trouble getting to the show from there, it's pretty close. That's by Montage mountain, which is where there is a large movie theatre, relatively new shopping mall, a ball park, amphitheatre and ski slopes. You shouldn't get bored.

I'll do my best to whip up a thunderstorm or two for Saturday evening. :mrgreen:

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:56 pm 

Frank - Ten rooms on a members credit card. :shock: Wow. NO WAY. Someone musta been smokin' the wacky weed. :P I wouldn't have bought into that either. :shock:

Jay - It seems like there's a lot of things to see and do in your neck of the woods. :D :thumbs_up: But I just don't know if anyone would actually opt to park in a movie theater or mall parking lot :shock: and leave it unattended. Lol.. Just saying. :) I look forward to the trip, exploring Scranton, meeting you, checking out your car and also attending the car event.

Oh..... And hold that thunderstorm (that Frank requested). :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

Howard J

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next