Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Father's Day in PA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:03 pm 

Each year on Father's day at Nay Aug Park in Scranton, PA there is a really great car show. It is an all makes/years welcome kind of event, and the turnout every year is very large. I never miss this event and I see new stuff every year....it's great. Also it's a friendly atmosphere, lots of families, food and drinks, music, and prizes! The show is free to spectators although you are welcome to donate to support the car club that hosts it. I believe there is a fee for showing a vehicle, I'll have to find out how much.

Anyway it's great fun and Ill be entering my Z this year. I think it'd be cool to see some other club members at the event if anyone is interested.

Jay

Post subject: Re: Father's Day in PA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:29 pm 

Hmmm...Scranton is only 170 miles from New Haven and 150 miles from Vinny;s shop in New Milford. The whole trip is highway and takes less than 3hrs.

This might be something fun.

Scranton is also the fictional home of Dunder Mifflin paper company, ("The Office") and most of the landmarks used in the show are actually there in Scranton. The Anthracite Museum was my favorite of several we visited one summer. They even named some streets for the show. The city had to move the "WELCOME TO SCRANTON" sign off the highway and into a shopping mall while the show was still on TV, because hundreds of people were just stopping their cars along the roadside and getting out to take selfies at the sign. :roll: Scranton also has some beautiful scenery, as it overlooks a wide valley and the side of another mountain on the opposite side.

I might consider this if I can find a nice motel in advance.

Frank T

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:08 pm 

All true stuff Frank.

I hope you can make it!

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:35 pm 

Sounds good to me too. Straight shot out I 84 for me.

A couple of years ago my wife and another couple met in Scranton to spend a couple of days sightseeing in the area. Our (really my and my buddy's) primary goal was to visit nearby Steamtown. If you haven't visited this National Historic Site and are at all interested in the age of steam, you must see this place. Then, on a lark, we stoppled in to visit the Houdini museum. We didn't expect much but ended up enjoying this little place including lots of memorabilia and a great little old-fashion style vaudeville magic show which was quite entertaining.

This would make for a terrific Z outing in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:29 am 

Definitely sounds like a good trip.

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:56 pm 

Well gee...if we could get Howie to join us from Lawn Gyland we would pretty much have the whole crew we went to Rochester with! Ross might enjoy driving his Black Pearl down there with us, and Vinny could actually take a break off work to bring along his 510 (unlikely). Then there's the whole crew of Clive's NYZCC and the NJ Z Club who are actually closer than we are, who might want to link up with us.

Jay, you might be sorry you mentioned this! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:41 am 

The 150+ mile trip looks interesting and the destination looks beautiful. I'm interested in attending if my family, and new (relatively new), grandson don't have plans for me/ with me for that day. As you've always said Frank, ya got to git your priorities straight. :thumbs_up:

Howie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:25 pm 

Wow that's terrific! I hope you all can end up making it, as I said it's a very fun car event... and it serves as a fundraiser for local charities.

As John mentioned there are plenty of other things to see/do around "the valley", Steamtown is a neat place and only a few blocks from the show, the Houdini museum I've heard is fun but I've never been. My kids would probably like it too so I should plan that. Also there is Ricketts Glen state park, the Lackawanna coal mine tour, the Scranton iron furnaces (where they made railroad rails in coal fired furnaces), the road they hold the Giants Despair Hill climb is about 15 minutes away, also the nearby endless mountain region a beautiful place to drive and take photos.

For the car show, they usually open at 8 am and I know by 10 the cars are still coming in to the park to be displayed, always a large turn out. I recommend getting there earlier as there are more open areas to park and you can watch the rest roll in. If you stay overnight the day before this won't be hard.

Montage mountain in Moosic, Pa has some nice lodging and a good size mall, restaurants, and a large movie theatre and it's only a short drive from the park. There are many motels and such though so I don't imagine finding lodging should be an issue.

I can recommend our favorite restaurants of course and anything else I can help you with just let me know.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:07 pm 

Depending on what day Father's Day falls this year, this is something which the Z Car Club of Rochester might have fun with, too. They often drive 5-8 cars down to Hershey or Carlisle each year, and it would be absolutely great to meet Jay AND the ZCCR crew there, even for a day.

Jay, the ZCCR are a bunch you really need to meet. They throw a great Z Fest each summer (when it gets hot enough to melt the paint off your car) and it's all for charity too. They sponsor the whole Z crowd onto Watkins Glen International Raceway for about 15 minutes each year, as part of their Z Fest. The trip down to The Glen and back to Marietta NY involves some of the best scenery the NY fingerlakes Wine Country has to offer.

Some of their members are our members too, including their Fearless Leader, John Taddonio. John has rebuilt his 1970 240Z into a national award-winning showpiece which he loves to drive and show. RockAuto has used his car as a refrigerator magnet and most of us have (at least) one. And Clive Bogle is our member in NYC, President of the NYZCC, within easy striking distance of Scranton. I haven't seen him in a year either.

It would be the cat's behind if we could round up about a doZen Z cars and infect your neighborhood, Jay! :mrgreen: :thumbs_up: At least then you could put a few faces to screen names. If we were really cool we could park all the Zs all over your front lawn for 30 seconds and take a picture. 8) We have a couple of other new-join 260Zs this year whom we've not yet met, and this would be an excellent excuse to meet and cruise with them. :thumbs_up:

Last edited by Frank T on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:53 pm 

I think that would be excellent Frank! It will be great to meet you and the gang and see all your Z's!

The ZCCR Z fest sounds like a great event too. My wife and I spent our wedding weekend on Seneca lake just outside of Watkins Glen. That's a beautiful place (beautiful ride there too), I'd love to take a few laps around the track in my Z. When is it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:55 pm 

This year the Rochester fandango is 7-8-9 July. I went last year, along with about half a doZen other Zs. We picked up Howie along the way and all cruised into town together. The weekend *usually* has a meet & greet, the car show (of course), a picnic or a full dinner, and the trip down to Watkins Glen thru Wine Country and back to Marietta NY.

Event schedules change each year, and John hasn't told us yet what day each event will happen in 2017. What works best for me is if the WGI track event is the final thing scheduled, so I can just drive home from there instead of driving all the way back to Rochester for a fancy meal and then having to cover the same ground going home the next day. HOWEVER, there *IS* the advantage of getting a final good night's sleep in the great 4-star hotels John gets us block rate discounts at, then starting fresh after a free breakfast the next day. That gives us a final night to schmooZe with the other Z freaks and say goodbye leisurely. There is always a sizable contingent from Canada there each year and those guys just live for the chance to drive their Zs into the USA for any excuse (like buying real gasoline at less than $8/liter). I love these events and altho they kick my tail in the hot Z during July, I always smile when I look back on all the fun we had.

ALSO, John has recently retired and has established himself a bit of a hobby swapping and parting out Z cars, so if you're looking for a certain part for your car you could ask John to BOLO for it and maybe have it waiting for you when you got there.

The distance btwn Scranton and WGI is 125mi/2hrs. Btwn Scranton and Webster NY is 204mi/3.5hrs. You should come, even if you can only meet us at WGI and drive some laps. In that case you could easily make it back home the same day. People come and go all weekend as their lives demand and it makes it more interesting to wake up in the morning and see new old friends at breakfast who weren't there the day before. You would have so many new people to meet, you would have to bring along a secretary and a camera! :lol:

If you do go, be sure to either take someone with you who can videotape your track experience from inside the car, or else rig something to hold your camera steady while you drive. Our top speeds are usually under 100mph and the slowest are normal highway speeds. It's great fun and gives you the bragging rights to honestly claim you've driven your Z at speed around the wonderful Watkins Glen International Racetrack, "and here's the In-Car video to prove it".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:20 pm 

That sounds like great fun Frank! I wrote it on my calendar, not sure yet how many days I'll get to be there but I'd like to do an overnight stay and catch two days worth anyway. It's really contingent on how much help we can get with the kiddos.

Also I'll keep John in mind for sure for future parts needs. Boy I'd love to be buying z's and amassing spare parts, my 260z would want for nothing! My problem is I'd have a hard time parting any out...I always want to save them. I'd have a dozen projects lying around. My wife would probably need therapy! :roll:

Also I'll keep you posted but I think I tracked down a shroud that'll work for me. Might need a little work but I think it'll be fine. I'll know more in a week or so.

I can't wait for spring!

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:51 pm 

:lol: Haha! :lol: You've got Z Fever, just like the rest of us. Don't be surpriZed if you find yrslf walking thru the snow in your bedroom slippers out to your garage just to sit in your Z. It happens.

I would invite you to "e-meet" both Preston (Notserp) and Andy (Fastkid) during this winter. They both have 260s, both are new-joins and they should be encouraged to cruise up to Scranton with us to meet you. It would be awesome to get pictures of your 3 260s parked together.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:39 am 

Haha! I could have told you that Frank. I've been known to have my coffee in the garage on the weekend so I can stare at or sit in my Z. I'm a classic case of Z fever.

I think it'd be great to meet Preston and Andy, let's get them to Scranton with the rest, we may be able to get a picture of 4 260s as I'm pressuring my friend Billy to bring his this year. It's a gorgeous 34k original mile survivor car with some Datsun comp mods done by the original owner in the 70s....It was quite a find! He's the second owner. I've also been after him to join this club too! :wink:

Should I PM Preston and Andy?

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:58 am 

The PM feature on our website is well-used and private. It's a fun thing to establish new Z-friends with. But I would simply go to the NEW MEMBERS INTRO forum and add a comment to each of their intros (NOTSERP and TheFastKid). That helps generate more Z conversation on the website, which in turn helps most of us ignore the hibernation problem. :wink: :thumbs_up: