Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:26 am 

Since it appears that I am the only CTZCC member from Long Island, New York, which features the Cradle of Aviation Museum, Jones Beach, the Hamptons, Montauk, the North Fork wineries, and Billy Joel, to mention just a few of the attractions in my neck of the woods, I would accept the challenge to find a sponsor that would be willing to host a gathering of CTZCC members. This comes with NO guarantees. Just my pitbull drive and determination.

But I would need a consensus from members as to where you would like to come and visit here on "The Island". North shore? South shore? Long Beach? Wine Country? Montauk? The Hampton Beachs? Riverhead? Jones Beach....?????

Or.... "NONE OF THE ABOVE" - "Not interested in making such a long trip." which I would fully understand and would not be the least bit offended by. I'm just putting the offer out there to see if there is any interest.

"If I dun't axe you den I dun't know whatcha might like's to do." (Sorry. Originally from Brooklyn, NY) lol. Hey... :thumbs_up:

Howard J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:02 pm 

I'd bet we could get Club rates on the Port Jeff ferry. I'll call and axe them. That would give us a fellowship break aboard the boat and let us concentrate on driving the Island instead of around the Sound.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:10 pm 

Great thought on the ferry Frank. I'd even start researching prices and locations of sleeping accommodations, for anyone who might wish to stay over, as soon as I get a feel for where the club might like to gather. I don't want to make any presumptions or assumptions on location. I'm just going to wait for some members to interject a thought or two like; "Hey. I've always wanted to go to the wineries for a tour" or "I'd like to see Montauk" or Glen Cove, Sag Harbor, Cold Spring Harbor?

Hell.. I'd even try contacting Billy Joel to see if he's still building custom boats, if that interests club members. Maybe he'd invite use to one of his venues to display our cars? One never knows, do one? I need some direction or even some divine intervention.

I'm asking everyone/anyone for their thoughts, comments, and/or criticisms on what I'm proposing. All comments are greatly appreciated. :thumbs_up: 8) :idea: I'll take the hint that there is no interest in traveling down here if there is little or no input from CTZCC members. Either way I will remain a very happy member of this club. 8)

Howard J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:43 pm 

It looks like about 70 miles/2hrs from Port Jeff to Montauk, without stopping anyplace along the way. That might be an overnighter for most of us; an hour to the ferry, an hour ON the ferry, two or more hours to Montauk, eat someplace then drive back. That's about 10hrs round trip for many of us. Maybe too much?

When I lived in Branford I could see Lawn Gyland on a clear day, and the most-prominent feature was an all-white power plant (maybe nuclear?) on the North Shore. I suppose if we drive along the North Shore we could view CT?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:27 am 

Weekend on the Island would be great.
Not sure about the Western end (NYC) but on the Eastern end (Orient Point) either shore (north or south) would be fun for a weekend. :thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:35 pm 

Thanks Frank - that white building is the infamous, and shutdown, Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant (Long Gylands "Chernobyl")

After giving further thought about possibly planning a meet at a winery and a tour I concluded that the mix of alcoholic beverages and the driving of classic cars probably is NOT a good mix. Plus club rules frown on Z possible side affects.

I'll see if I can find a Tourism Guide for both the north and south shores, charity car shows, county fair events, etc. :?: :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: :P :P :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:25 am 

This discussion is very interesting and sounds like it would be fun.

One question: Are we talking with our mates or just a bunch of hairy legged boys in their toys? In my case that would make all the difference in the world.

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:12 am 

Sounds interesting. :thumbs_up: Ferry makes it easier... and both might be appropriate to suite all members. New London for people like me and Bridgeport many others.

So Al, are you legs where most of your hair moved to? :lol: :roll:

'03 Z33 Touring 6 spd Chrome Silver (~stock)
'09 GT-R Super Silver... Lusty Enough As Is!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:08 pm 

I've never seen Glen Cove L.I., which is on my Bucket list. It's the birthplace of SgtMaj Dan Daly, USMC, who twice received the Medal of Honor. I've been to the SgtMaj's gravesite, childhood and post-Corps neighborhoods in Glendale, Queens, but never his to his birth site in Glen Cove. Daly's a personal hero of mine and I've seen both his Medals of Honor at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico VA. Not expecting anyone else to be interested in that ( 8) ) I would probably break away from the crowd on the way back, visit Glen Cove alone and take a later ferry back to CT.

*Al ~ I feel Z-Wives add a touch of class to any outing. I know some guyZ who wouldn't go if their wives were excluded.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:08 pm 

Alan.Dempsey wrote:
This discussion is very interesting and sounds like it would be fun.

One question: Are we talking with our mates or just a bunch of hairy legged boys in their toys? In my case that would make all the difference in the world.

Alan

In my opinion, mates and significant others should never be excluded from any car events.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:14 am 

Alan.Dempsey wrote:
lee biz,

if available, I too would attend. Keep in mind, the CTZCC meetings are usually held at local dealerships on the 2nd Wednesday of each month in the warmer months.

Alan

Does this mean that when trying to plan an outing on a weekend (Saturday and/or Sunday) that it is probably best to try and find a dealership that would be willing to host the gathering? What months and dates are already "set in stone" and shouldn't be scheduled for other events? Like Lime Rock, Z-Palooza, Watkins Glen. Would one also look into participating in already scheduled community and/or charity events? Does past experiences dictate that participation in other planned car events, (who's calm-mature (?)-family oriented qualities may or may not meet CTZCC standards) should be avoided? :? :idea:

:mrgreen: Just asking. 8)

Howard

P.S. - Alan's quote was taken from another link about planning events. I hope I haven't offended. :wink: lol