Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:56 am 

Booked . . . . . who else is going ?

Just me and Paul so far.

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:51 am 

Complete registration & hotel information attached. :D

Attachments:
Registration Form 5-14.doc [945 KiB]
Downloaded 365 times

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:34 am 

More and more exciting events being added to Motorfest weekend! Road rally to Watkins Glen, laps on the race track with YOUR car, twisty return route, car meet & steak roast, live and silent auction, entertainment, HUGE car & motorcycle show with participant choice and specialty awards!

And we're a lot closer than Memphis! :wink:

Registration form attached, hope you can join us!

Attachments:
POSTER COLOR FINALSMALL.jpg
POSTER COLOR FINALSMALL.jpg [ 132.43 KiB | Viewed 9682 times ]
Registration PDF FINAL 6-2-15.pdf [1.05 MiB]
Downloaded 363 times

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:09 am 

So I decided to back out this year, One for a family reunion same weekend, and it's going to be here in RI., and two, since I have no side window regulator for the passenger side.....because I sold it by accident, the passenger, being my wife didn't like the long distance travel with no window. So lesson learned.....an early 240z regulator DOES NOT fit the later years, even though my motorsports catalog says 1970-1973. So I need to find a 72 regulator, (maybe 71 or late 70 will work.) up to 73. The early one has a much larger mounting bracket. So I have a real nice early window regulator for sale now. :roll: So local shows for now. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:46 am 

Well Paul, I'm very sorry to hear you won't be coming. I was looking fwd to zeeing you and Patty and running our 240s together at the WGI track. I'm shoving off this morning and will spend a night in some obscure upstate NY backwater towns, doing a nostalgia tour of a few old haunts from my youth. I'll get into Webster Friday and maybe bring my computer so I can report to y'all about the events. Big Al is off to ZCon in Memphis so I will be the only representative of our "Red White and Blue Trio" this year.
Oh well, looking fwd to future years together there, where the rowdy CTZCC guys can terroriZe the polite ZCCR crew. At least I get to meet our newest member StarcZar, who is scheduled to attend, too.
Weather is forecast to be excellent and the ZCCR team really went out of their way to make this happen for me. Looking forward to Zeeing the "three pineapple" Hawaiian cars parked together once again. Y'all know that story, already.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:34 am 

Well I know you will have a great time, I was looking forward to this myself, but must be destined for next year. I'll really miss the back roads of New York, we were going to come back on RT 23 from Oneonta, which branches off into 23a, 23c and 23b, pick a nice route. Enjoy. :thumbs_up: p.s. my Z is all white now to fulfill the patriotism. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:53 am 

Paul, I have several 240Z window regulators to choose from. Now if you were coming to MOTORFEST..... :wink:

Sorry to hear that you can't make it. New location for the show this year, much, MUCH better! Much more to do than ever before, and yes, laps at Watkins Glen International.

Next year! And maybe other CTZCCers can join in the fun!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:31 am 

Paul, John ~ I'm camped out in Homer NY, only 2hrs away from Webster now. I owe Paul a favor for a Z part so I can pick up the regulator(s) he needs and carry it back to him if you guys can sort out exactly which ones will do the job?

CARL!!! Looking fwd to Zeeing you there tmrw!

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:34 pm 

Having a grand time here in Rochester with the ZCCR. Friday night they held a gathering at John T's home and stuffed us with more types of piZZa than we could eat. Lots of good conversations and we met Z people from everywhere (even Canada). Our member (and ZCCR's PreZident) John Taddonio is the perpetual host. Linked up with Carl and Barb and we all talked until the mosquitos found us. Returned to the most-comfortable hotel I might have ever stayed in and slept thru what locals called the worst thunderstorm they've ever had here. I never heard a sound.

This morning I found my Z scrubbed totally clean by the "torrential downpour" everyone says we got. Thank you for the free wash job! We gathered in a procession of a couple doZen Zs and drove to Watkins Glen International Raceway together. The drive was outstanding and the weather was clear and hot. We got to the Glen and they gave us instructions, then turned us out onto the track alone! If we ever had a pace-car, I never saw it, and it must have been blistering-fast. We had more than 2 doZen Zs on street tires, with luggage in the back and wives in the passenger seats, flying around the track as fast as we could possibly go! I hit 95 twice (brand-new engine, didn't want to break anything) and could have gone faster if I'd wanted to! Seriously, I wonder if somebody didn't screw up and forget to pace us? We had NISMO cars and seriously hi-mod cars breaking 100 and disappearing down the front straight in a ball of dust.

I guess eventually it dawned on somebody that these were street cars and if any of us pranged the nose and broke the radiator, they would have a slippery mess of antifreeze all over the track (race cars are restricted to water for that reason), so they called us all in. Maybe they weren't expecting us to be that fast? Anyway, it was grand while it lasted, and any time I glanced in my mirror, Carl's perfect 280Z was right on my tail, with his wife urging him on. As I got off the track, Vinny called me to ask how the new engine was doing and how many miles I've put on it (700 so far). That's real dedication ~ your mechanic calls you long-distance on your vacation to see how your new engine is doing! :lol: Nobody's better than Vinny.

After leaving the track we proceeded into the town of Watkins Glen to find lunch and buy some souvenirs. I was still too excited to be hungry and it was too hot and slow (heavy traffic) for my car, so I headed back to the hotel alone. Picked up a pair of Zs along the way and we attracted a sheriff's deputy on the highway who followed us for many miles. I turned off down a lonesome side road and the other two cars went on ahead. Of course the deputy followed me. After 20 minutes of being the only two cars on the deserted country backroads, he turned off and left me.

Tonight we gathered again for a grilled steak/sweetcorn/potato dinner and more Z camaraderie. I found a local youngster (Adam) who is restoring a beautiful late 1971 240 (and doing a good job of it, too), with a late set of ANSA exhaust pipes on it. He wouldn't sell or trade the great-sounding pipes. It's good to zee someone of high school age getting involved in the S-30 cars.

Tmrw is the car and motorcycle show. I got some good pictures already and hope to grab some more tmrw. Weather is forecast to be clear and hot. Like every event the ZCCR participates in, this one is a winner. Glad I could make it this year.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:37 pm 

A very well-run and friendly car show, involving just about every type of vehicle one might expect to see on the roads during their lifetime. Motorcycles, hotrods, pickup trucks, ricer sedans and coupes, vintage American muscle, European sports, and, of course, tons of outstanding Z cars. One was a RHD Fairlady 2+2 (when was the last time you saw one of THOSE for real?) and one had an RB26 turbo DOHC engine with individual throttle body injectors. I was somewhat near that car enroute to Watkins Glen when it left a stop sign rather....urgently. At first I couldn't determine what the noise was and was searching the sky for "Terminator"-type aircraft. When I got up to that stop sign, there were twin strips of rubber stretching over the next hill.

Cars #HLS30-0006 and HLS30-0008 were there in all their glory, autographed inside by names of Datsun's hallowed racing past. Eliot-Forbes-Robinson ("EFR"), Bob Sharp, Jim ("Fitzy") Fitzgerald, now owned by our medical members "Doc" Robbins and Dr. Tom Bork, both of Rochester area. Other race cars were there for roundy-round races, and some pristine 1960s classic 'Murican muscle with iconic huge engines to push them to 9-second quarter-mile ETs.

PriZes, trophies, raffles, food, peoples' choice awards, music, and lots and lots and lots of ladies made the whole trip worthwhile. Those who visited Franklin TN a few years ago for ZCon and endured 100*+ there will not be impressed by our 95* here today, but it sure kept the lemonade stand busy. Thanks to John Taddonio and his outstanding crew for putting together a rather complex weekend full of fun events, and making the whole thing run smoothly. Well done, indeed. Like everything else ZCCR does, this whole weekend was a smash hit and worth driving an exotic Z sports or cushy Z GT car from afar to get to it.

Bumped into Carl & Barb at a rest stop on the way home just by chance! Think of the odds! He wanted to make some small adjustment and I happened to have a few tools with me, then we rode down the highway together for a good while. I turned off at Syracuse and they went on down the road in that perfect 280.

I'm holed-up in Homer again for the night; no sense trying to make it back to CT by driving too long in this heat. I'm already showing minor signs of dehydration. I'll get a good night's sleep and get home tmrw. Hope I can share some pictures with y'all, but it won't be half as fun as being there was.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:55 pm 

Super commentation Frank! I'll put Rochester and Watkins Glen on my agenda for next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:29 am 

You won't regret it, Jay! It's a spectacular event each year.

The only possible "criticism" (?) about this year's ZFest was that other (larger) events changed their dates to superimpose over ZFest. The ZCon in Memphis wasn't supposed to be this weekend, so ZCCR planned their Fest first, then ZCon upped their date and conflicted with ZCCR's plan. Also, the annual Syracuse Nationals (held annually at the New York State Fairgrounds in Syracuse, just 60 miles away) announced that they would hold their big event this weekend, too.
With that kind of competition (and some of it so close), the ZCCR ZFest probably lost a few hundred cars and spectators.

But that's OK (with me, at least), because the number and variety of cars at Rochester was just perfect as far as I was concerned. It "fit" the venue well and still left some room for shade-tree sitting. I probably got to talk with more than 100 individuals and learn about the cars I was interested in, and it gave time to interact with each of the ZCCR members and staff. I think another 100 cars might have crowded all that out and filled my camera card sooner (bummer). And another 20 Z cars would not have allowed us to get away with all that unbridled fun on the WGI track! That was worth the time and trip there, alone!

The only sad thing about it is that all of ZCCR events go to charity, so more cars attending would have let them donate even more money to the OASIS project, which helps our disabled veterans. Overall it was a great event, with too much good food, lots of happy, friendly people, and hundreds of great cars.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:39 am 

I have to Echo Frank's comments about the weekend.

The Guy's from ZCCR make you feel at home when you go and getting to drive at "The Glen" is worth the ride all by it's self.

I'll post a link to the video following Frank around the track after I get it edited.

Frank and I did run into each other at the rest stop and without his advice I'd probably still be there . . . . . . :shock: (long story) :lol:

We have not been able to attend the car show but next year we are going to try and make that event.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:46 am 

["... after I get it edited..."] (Translation: "..after I mute the outrageous laughter and hysterical comments about how Frank was driving!") :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:09 am 

:mrgreen:

The Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOPtDrkl8hY&feature=youtu.be