Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:27 am 

DUE TO WEATHER FORCAST OF 100% CHANCE OF THUMDERSTORMS AND RAIN, WE HAVE RESCHEDULED THIS MEETING TO WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 20th

Linda Grossman, Garrett Wright, Bill Rideout, and the staff of GROSSMAN NISSAN, are excited to welcome us back and host our Next Monthly Meeting. In the past we enjoyed their wide open Parking area and Drive-In Service Dept. meeting space.

DATE: Wednesday, AUGUST 20th, 2014 (RESCHEDULED FROM 8/13)

TIME: 7 - 9 pm
Arrive as early as 6:00 for more "Hang Out" time

Pizza and beverages will be served

295 Middlesex Turnpike
Old Saybrook, CT 06475
860-388-2937

http://www.grossmannissan.com/

Please 'LIKE' Grossman Nissan on Facebook to follow their events and specials.
*They are located in a larger automall so you will need to use the entrance at the light on Middlesex Turnpike.
*easy access of Route 9 and I-95

Our Guest Speaker Will Be:
Dan Strollo, President and Executive Director of the "In Control Family Foundation" http://www.DriveInControl.org This organization, based in Massachusetts, runs the "In Control Crash Prevention Training". Here's an excerpt from their website:

In Control is a non-profit organization recognized as a 501(c)(3) and offers the nation's first state certified crash prevention training to drivers of all ages. This closed course, hands-on education was adapted from existing law enforcement training in the United States as well as European instruction that led to a societal shift in attitudes toward driving in many countries.

In Control has trained over 25,000 students and receives endless praise from graduates, parents, schools, police departments, insurance companies, legislators and community groups all over New England. Most graduates enjoy insurance discounts and the peace of mind knowing that they have been trained for emergency situations. Third party research has found a 70% reduction in crashes for new driver graduates of our training and similar results for experienced drivers trained through our commercial programs.

In addition to our training, In Control reaches tens of thousands of New England families through our community engagement programs aimed at educating them on the dangers of driving along with skills to avoid crashes. In Control regularly speaks at High Schools, Driving Schools, Civic Organizations, etc., to drivers of all ages.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Attachments:
grossman1.jpg
grossman1.jpg [ 232.21 KiB | Viewed 11133 times ]
GROSSMAN.JPG
GROSSMAN.JPG [ 47.55 KiB | Viewed 11133 times ]

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:30 pm 

Looking forward to this meeting of CTZCC at Grossman Nissan in Old Saybrook.
For members in Central Connecticut it is a very pleasant cruise down Rt9.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:16 pm 

Really looking fwd to hearing from the IN CONTROL guys again. They are the Real Deal in driver safety and everybody who loves his/her kid should put them thru this quick, common-sense course.
The stuff we learned in Driver's Ed just doesn't hack it. They meant well, but they were still tied to the dinosaurs. IN CONTROL can teach your kid in ONE DAY most of the skills needed to survive in realistic traffic conditions for a lifetime.

Frank T

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 pm 

Looking forward to this meeting . . . . .get to see all of you and visit my parents in one day . . . . . . . . the presenter sounds very good as well. :thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:38 am 
Site Admin

It's very rare for us to reschedule a monthly meeting, but under the circumstances, it is the right thing to do. The forecast is really awful and driving might well be a nightmare, so instead we'll see everyone one week later, on Wednesday August 20th, instead.

Thank you to Linda Grossman and all the great people at Grossman Nissan for allowing us to move the meeting on such short notice.

Fortunately, Dan Strollo, our guest presenter from In-Control, is available to join us on our rescheduled date!

See you then!

- Jim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:35 pm 

Thanks very much for rescheduling . . . . It would have been a long rainy ride from here so I had planned on missing it.
Hopefully next Wednesday will be beautiful. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:10 am 

Yesterday was wild rainy day even though it cleared later in the day there were still random thunderstorms out their. Hoping for a better day on the 20th.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:28 am 

The 20th has to be better than ystrdy. Heavy rains here throughout the day and lots of local street flooding. Didn't clear up until after dinner time. I'm convinced postponing the meeting was the absolute best thing to do. If we had met ystrdy, I would have driven the Stanley Steamer instead of the Z, and Jack would have shown up in the Neon. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 am 

Would have been a free car wash though Frank ! !

Even the undercarriage would have gotten washed . . . . maybe even the carpet :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:10 pm 

FM6 wrote:
Would have been a free car wash though Frank ! !

Even the undercarriage would have gotten washed . . . . maybe even the carpet :P

:lol: I'm sure a lot of us would have had a good interior cleaning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:23 pm 

Looks like we will have a good day weather wise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 pm 

Ughh I tried getting there but my Z was not in the mood.
Sorry Frank it got too late and we had to give the little guy a bath.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 pm 

Hoped for you, but eventually I figured that "life happened" and you weren't gonna be able to make it. Actually glad you didn't try to take the Z that far in stop & go rush hour traffic while the brakes are questionable. Zs don't look right with squashed noses.

I stopped on the way to the meeting for a disabled 240Z beside the road near Hammonasett State Park and spent an hour trying to help them, but a froZen and leaking water pump would not permit the car to drive further. A flatbed was their ride home. :cry:

We had an excellent time behind your back tho, and you would have enjoyed it. Dan Stollo from DRIVE IN CONTROL gave us an exciting presentation about the IN CONTROL driving program, which teaches new (and seasoned) vehicle operators many driving tips which common driving schools never touch on. DRIVE IN CONTROL has compiled some amazing statistics about American drivers (and especially teens) which most of us had never heard of (or even suspected).

While the USA was once the safest driving nation in the world during the 1970s, we are perilously close to the bottom of the list today. Of all the new drivers in the USA (most all of them teens), more than 75% of them will have a collision within the first 24 months of being licensed. Most of those collisions will be rear-enders, caused by failure to maintain safe interval and/or distracted driving. That's scary, especially when you consider that most of those collisions will involve another vehicle ~ maybe yours or your family's.

More than 25,000 drivers have successfully passed the IN CONTROL defensive driving programs and a huge percentage of them (I forget the number) have successfully beaten the odds of having a collision early in their driving careers. This class seriously saves lives and injuries and sobers kids up about the reality of driving dangers. It also opens the eyes of seasoned drivers and helps them "unlearn" mistakes they've been driving with for years.

Dan Stollo made many points which few of us ever consider (and this was while simply discussing the course, not administering the whole class), such as keeping your hands at 9 and 3 on the steering wheel not only to maintain best control of the steering, but to avoid covering the frontal airbag with your forearms. Airbags deploy with explosive force at the speed of bullets and placing your arm btwn a deploying bag and your face is a guaranteed way to shatter your own face with your own arm. Duh.

And forget about the archaic method of maintaining "one car-length distance for every 10mph of speed" as a safe interval. Even if you can accurately estimate such a distance at various speeds (I never could), it's not enough interval to stop in during an emergency. Maintaining THREE SECONDS distance btwn you and the vehicle ahead (at any speed) is a far better way to ensure you have enough time to recognize a threat, react (foot from gas to brake), get the big picture around you, search for an escape route and stop or steer away from danger.

The subject of backing up (reversing) safely was worth the trip, itself. Considering the fact that every state considers it YOUR FAULT if a collision occurs while you're in Reverse, that subject alone was of huge importance.

The list of items Dan discussed in under 20 minutes was too long to mention here, and he had many items left to mention when time ran out. Suffice to say this 4.5 hour one-day course (a combination of classroom and hands-on high speed driving in the IN CONTROL cars, under safe wide-open-airport conditions) is an eye-opening experience for new and seasoned drivers alike. Cops use IN CONTROL classes. Delivery services use IN CONTROL classes. Fire, EMT and Ambulance services send their drivers to IN CONTROL classes. Any kid whose parents love them should take this one-day course.

Anybody who drives should take this one day course! It will open their eyes to how much they need to learn about driving, and make them realize their own limitations behind the wheel.

My kid took this course, and the savings on a first-year-teenage-driver car insurance rate was almost enough to pay for the class. The fact that we're 20 months thru the 24 month danger zone without a collision (after many thousand miles of safe driving) is priceless. I don't know why anyone would NOT take this course.
:thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:39 am 

A warm thank you to Linda and the staff of Grossman Nissan for hosting us once again. Thanks to the last minute reschedule we were able to enjoy a pleasant, rain free Z evening, catching up on our latest projects and welcoming first time members.

Also a big thank you for Dan Strollo from In Control who provided us with a very informative and entertaining overview of their teen and senior driving courses. Even during the short presentation time allowed Dan was able to remind us all how we can be safer drivers. I'm glad to say that I've incorporated many of Dan's safe driving tips and passed them along to my family drivers.

Sorry for the delay in posting the pictures from Wednesday's meeting.

https://picasaweb.google.com/philctzcc/ ... 3343049250

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:19 pm 

Nice Pic's Phil thanks.

For me it was nice to meet Rick and Cathy . . . . two more really nice members of the group.