Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:37 pm 

Registration is open!

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... V7drRmhwXw

Directions to Stratford SAEP North lot:

From Route 95 Northbound
I-95 to Stratford exit 30 for Lordship Blvd., right at end of ramp.
After about 1 mile, bear left onto Access Road at stoplight (not right to airport).
At tee, turn left onto Main Street.
Entrance to lot is on your right. Use gate for DeLuca Memorial Softball Field.

From Route 95 Southbound
I-95 to Stratford exit 30 for Surf Avenue, left at end of ramp.
At stoplight, turn left onto Lordship Blvd.
After about 1 mile, bear left onto Access Road at stoplight (not right to airport).
At tee, turn left onto Main Street.
Entrance to lot is on your right. Use gate for DeLuca Memorial Softball Field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:53 pm 

I was asked a few questions about autocross at the first meeting, so I'd like to just post them up along with the answers here.

1. What is the safety inspection and will my car pass?

The safety inspection is not hard to pass. The tech chiefs only spend about a minute per vehicle. Here are things they are looking for specifically:

*Make sure the battery is well secured! You have to have some kind of tie-down so it won't move (they will pop your hood and try to jiggle it).
*Wheel bearings must be good! They will bearhug each of your tires and try to shake it to see if there's any play.
*All loose items must be removed from the car. Includes spare tire, tool kit, floormats, dash mats.
*Closed toed shoes when you're on course.
*Helmet must be SA2005 or M2005 or newer. Loaner helmets are available if you do not have your own.

If you have the above covered and your car is in general good mechanical condition, you will pass tech!

2. Do I need a specific type of car to participate?

No! This is the beauty of autocross. The participants span a wide variety of car--from home-built kit cars to supercars to sedans. Even in an everyday passenger car, a driver can learn a lot about racing. As long as your car isn't in danger of flipping over (high trucks, SUVs, tall vans probably not a good choice), you can race it!

3. Is Fairfield County Sports Car Club (FCSCC) the only place to go for autocross around here?

Nope! Connecticut and the New England area has many active clubs that host autocross. FCSCC hosts their events in Stratford, CT but they are just one club. Other places to check out: Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team (C.A.R.T.), New England Region SCCA (NER SCCA), Northern New Jersey Region SCCA (NNJR SCCA), and even the Northern New Jersey Porsche Club of America (NNJR PCA) hosts events. There may be even more that I have missed.

4. Is autocross safe?

Like all motorsports, there will always be risks involved. If autocross were 100% safe, there wouldn't be a need for helmets. That being said, autocross is one of the safest forms of motorsports available. The modest speeds, even surface (no elevation changes), use of traffic cones to form a course, and the solo aspect of the sport all help to lower overall risk. In 9 years of autocross, I have only witnessed 1 accident that resulted in no injuries.

5. How fast do you go?

Autocross is fairly low speed. On a factory gearbox, you will spend most (if not all) the course in 2nd gear. The sport focuses on cornering rather than straightaways and raw power.

6. Do you go through a lot of tires and brakes?

Brake wear is much less than you'd expect. Because of the modest speeds on course, the brakes are mostly applied to shift weight around or to resettle your car's suspension. You don't tax the brakes as much as you would a track day (where you are constantly slowing down from high speed). I have not noticed much faster brake wear.

You will eat tires faster though. An autocross here and there won't cause your tires to suddenly self destruct, but if you run an entire season, you will notice that your tread is going away faster. If this is going to be a serious commitment, it might be a good idea to start budgeting how much you can spend on tires and maybe a second set of wheels is worthwhile.

7. I want to come watch, can I?

Technically the events hosted by FCSCC are non-spectator events. This is for insurance/legality purposes. However, drivers can bring "crew". If you want to come and see what this sport is all about, by all means drop by and you can just tell them you're my crew. Passengers must be participating drivers during the timed runs in the main event. However, the club typically offers fun runs at the end of each event in which anybody can ride along. This usually occurs between 3 and 4pm-ish. I'd love to give you a ride along during this time.

Hope this was helpful! Online pre-registration (save $10!) ends Friday!

Last edited by jtang on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:06 pm 

Also, this is copied and pasted from a previous thread, but I thought it would be useful to reiterate:

The basic event schedule is like this:
*Show up between 8am-9am. Register (there's a trailer with a table infront of it). Even if you pre-register online you need to check in. You will be assigned a work shift (1 hour... try to work course as it is a good experience, you get to see the action up close, and is not boring like some of the other jobs... will require running though). Tell them you are new so they pair you up with someone experienced!! There are also worker roles that do not require running if this is an issue.
*After registration, unload everything from the car and prepare it as if it were going to start racing (remove all items, put the wheels/tires that you want to have on it, etc).
*They will open tech inspections at the grid area... people will roll up and they will inspect your car quickly and give you a little green sticker on your front windshield.
*Pull your car back into your parking spot, and head over to the course for a walkthrough. They usually do novice walkthroughs at the end of the walking period. It is a good idea to walk the course a few times (walk it twice by yourself then wait for the novice walk to happen).
*Relax a bit, size up the competition and check out some cool cars.
*When they are all ready to get things rolling, there will be a driver's meeting where they go over the rules and important things. It is mandatory!
*First shift workers take positions on the track and they start launching cars. They sort of go around the parking lot area and let cars go in a pattern. Expect 40-ish minutes between your laps.
*Worker changes are on the fly, meaning they do not stop the cars to swap workers. Show up 5 minutes before your shift and you'll relieve the existing track workers.
*Everyone should end up with the same # of runs for the day. When it gets close to the end... maybe 2 or 3pm, they will announce how many runs will be given for the day (usually 4-7 depending on how many people ,etc). Once you hit that number you are done for timed, competitive runs.
*After everyone has taken the allotted number of laps, they will open up for fun runs. Each lap is $2 a piece and it goes straight to charity. This is why it is good to show up EARLY to check in, so you get a work shift that is early in the day (so you get to play during fun runs... I have had to work during fun runs and it sucks!). This period gives the crew time to tally up all the times and see who are the top performers in each class.
*After they are ready, fun runs will end. Pull your car back to your staging area and you can start packing up your car. Also you can go up to the trailer and ask if they need help with anything if you want to be nice.
*At the very end of the day, they go over top times for each class and present event trophies to the winners. We end by 5pm typically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:14 pm 

What a great event!

I took 1st in ESP and Devon took 2nd in Rookie Non-stock! :)

I got the video footage of my day uploaded, check it out! Needs moar cameras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2AuIZ-_7ME

I took some photos (lots of 510 action here):

https://plus.google.com/photos/10182583 ... 9525109553

Here is another member's album with lots of me in it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w11b16a/se ... 8021/show/

A few of my favorites:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:58 pm 

You got some nice shots there Justin! Thanks!

I need to compile my footage- got some in car shots and some out of car shots from some spectators.

Was a tight and challenging course- was pushing through corners a bunch... maybe time to learn some left foot braking-

Was another fun day of racing

Need to get some more older cars out there! Im still running the oldest one out there-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 pm 

This looks like a great day! The course seems tighter than some of the others I've seen (you have to wonder who dreams these up). You guys are getting really good at this and we have to come out and show you how it's done soon, before you get to be champions! 8)

Nice work, both of you (and Justin, that's an excellent write up. I couldn't even think of other questions to ask!)

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 pm 

Yup the course was pretty tight this time... very technical. :)

Come soon! Devon is starting to control his 510 like it's an extension of his body!

Thanks Frank, I hope to write some more articles/informative posts in the future. Glad someone finds them interesting/helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:45 pm 

its that manual rack ;-) helps me be "one" with the machine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 pm 

I always like to see pictures of a Z on the move!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:47 pm 

oh and Justin - your posts were very helpfull in getting me to commit to autoX - gave me enough info to know what i was getting into... mostly that i would pass tech

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm 

Glad to hear you're hooked now! :twisted: Also, you DID get that 36 sec run! After pax you were really close to the audi... next time!

Another gallery has surfaced onto the interwebz! I didn't spy a 510 in this one unfortunately, but more z31 action :)

Full gallery: https://plus.google.com/photos/10065402 ... 7485705009

And some other Z's (yes I told them about us ;)):

Becca:
(Technically Kelly co-driving Becca's car in this pic)

Brian:

And of course one of our members, Adam (PS if you're reading this, I didn't get to say bye at the event! I'll catch you next time!):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 pm 

Gee, you guyz don't cover up your license plates, do you? Many guyz don't want their insurance companies to know they AutoZ their carz, because they are afraid it will raise their rates or effect their warrantees. I know a lot of us taped over the plates while sliding around......just a thought. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 pm 

Some people do, mainly for cars still under warranty. I've never heard of insurance doing anything because of this. Most insurance companies don't protect the car during race events anyway (as far as I know).