Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:47 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 am 

WON'T YOU JOIN US?

COFFEE RUN!!

to RDZ Motorsports

Sat. April 27th, 9:30AM-11:30AM
Come join us for a simple gathering of coffee and car talk.
This way you still have the whole day to get everything you
promised yourself done.

Coffee, Donuts and Bagels will be served

See you all there!!

Black 2007 350-Z
67 Camaro Custom
Orange Late 71 240-Z Sold and sitting in a Doctors Collection

Colin Foote Never Forgotten!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm 

so is there a drive involved or just cars and coffee? If so where is the starting point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:26 pm 

RDZ is in Danbury, which is a good drive in itself. Usually when we gather there, we tend to hang around, since the drive home represents 50 miles or more for most of us.

BUT ~ you're a new arrival with a new 370Z, so these are people you NEED to know about. Research & Development for the Z (RDZ) specialiZes in making the Z cars do things the factory never envisioned. They are CTZCC members and we really like what these guys are doing.

Welcome to the East Coast ~ you've just landed in toy land 8)

You're gonna see several of these get-togethers in the early months of 2013; we're all emerging from winter hibernation and have cabin fever, so ANY excuse to get together usually draws a crowd.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:34 pm 

hmmmmm... i am wondering if this would be a good time for me to meet everyone. I am coming from Central MA, would there be a good point where I could meet up with some other Z's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:39 pm 

You coming down I-91, Adam?

BTW Master Chief, where would you be coming from if you joined us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 pm 

Looking at a map, looks like I will be coming down 84. Danbury right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 pm 

Right. I-91 leads down to I-84 near Hartford. You'd turn right (west) and drive to Danbury.

We have several members up there in the Hartford area. Give this a day or two and you might get some of them to cruiZe along with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Wyatt: RDZ, as you will come to learn, is our resident and in-state performance and upgrade shop for Z's, especially late model ones like your 370. When you have a few HOURS to spare, do a search in the forums for "RDZ" and you'll get an idea of the amazing work they do.

One of the most exciting things that have is their proprietary "auto tune"...they reprogram/flash your Z's ECU to signficantly enhance performance. For about $500 you get lots more hp, better mileage, and much more. And if for any reason you're not happy (car is too powerful?), they'll flash your ECU back to factory settings and refund your money...no risk, all gain. The folks at RDZ can give you the complete details, but if I recall correctly, dollar for dollar it is the most cost-effective way to add horsepower.

- Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:05 pm 

Jim, I wonder why Nissan doesn't do this stock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 pm 

Ha...to leave room to improve as that model year car gets older...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 pm 

I'm just guessing, but there could be a number of reasons. Long-term reliability drops when horsepower increases (you 'use up' your engine quicker). Other components of the car (brakes, suspension, steering) might not be up to the task of handling another 80mph above what the car was advertiZed to do. And enough people might be scared away from buying a Z if the horsepower figures were too high.

In the '60s and '70s, the MOPAR Rapid Transit System was famous for under-rating their cars' horsepower figures. They even went so far as to switch to quoting SAE horsepower instead of BHP, just to give a lower figure. The idea? Moms and Dads wouldn't allow Junior to buy a 400bhp car, but 215 SAE hp sounded fine in a family sized Plymouth Satellite coupe with an automatic transmission (the very best, hardest-shifting, wheel-smoking 4spd auto trans ever built! :twisted: ). Even the insurance companies agreed to cover 18 y/o little Johnny in his '69 GTX 383V8 because it was a 200hp automatic 'family car'. Truth was, it was pushing close to 400bhp and Little Johnny blew the doors off nearly everything on the drag strip each weekend. High volume sales don't always depend upon advertising the highest horsepower figures.

There could be many reasons. But like Jim says, if you try it and don't like it, just take it back and get it re-programed to stock specs. No loss.
And like Adam says, next year NISSAN could re-program the ECU to add 30 more horsepower, and tell the world to buy its new 'improved' higher-output Z car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 pm 

Filipe wrote:

I recall Scott and Rich saying last year that Nissan tunes their ECUs to work in a huge variety of environments (i.e. make the "safest" tune for cars sold around the world). The tune works for a variety of fuel standards, elevations, temperature ranges, etc. Nissan does't want to make a bunch of specific tunes for various cars sold in various regions. And they don't want to be too aggressive with the tunes (pick the safest map possible).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:56 pm 

jtang wrote:
Filipe wrote:

I recall Scott and Rich saying last year that Nissan tunes their ECUs to work in a huge variety of environments (i.e. make the "safest" tune for cars sold around the world). The tune works for a variety of fuel standards, elevations, temperature ranges, etc. Nissan does't want to make a bunch of specific tunes for various cars sold in various regions. And they don't want to be too aggressive with the tunes (pick the safest map possible).

Ahh, that makes sense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:48 pm 

I meet another Z ower today who has there 250 tuned by you guys. With all the good things i can see my self giving you my money to make my smile bigger when i step on the gas pedal...HEHEHEHE. I just need to procure some funds to get the UPREV tune and some other breather mods first.

this upcoming cars and coffee meet sounds like a blast too. i will def be attending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:53 pm 

MasterBeatty wrote:
I meet another Z ower today who has there 250 tuned by you guys. With all the good things i can see my self giving you my money to make my smile bigger when i step on the gas pedal...HEHEHEHE. I just need to procure some funds to get the UPREV tune and some other breather mods first.

this upcoming cars and coffee meet sounds like a blast too. i will def be attending.

You will be impressed.. 8)