Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:44 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 pm 

Looking forward to meeting a lot more of you guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 pm 

So if I want to attend just to Zee all theZe beautieZ, I just have to pay the $85/95 "Main Convention Registration", right?

Anyone know what qualifies me as a "Guest"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:51 pm 

Your love for Z cars should be enough. :D Maybe you'll find one before hand hopefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:56 pm 

Before I make my final click, any of you guys with racing experience :arrow: Would the Hi-performace race day be worth it for me. Or should I just do autocross. :?: Be honest, Ive only done fun laps at Watkins Glenn. Just concerned about abusing my Jem. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:54 pm 

Serious differences btwn a hi-speed track day and an all-out race. On a track day you can often go as fast or slowly as you want ~ surely nobody wants you (or anyone else) going faster than they or their car can safely handle. Participants often bring their cars onto the track straight from the street, with regular tires and little or no preparation. Some might remove the passenger seat, or even take a passenger along (depending on local rules). I wear a helmet but most don't ~ and the only safety gear they wear is a pair of sunglasses. On the other hand, some folks spend an hour in the pits removing everything from their car which is not absolutely essential to running and even change to racing tires, then drive as fast as their car will let them.
You usually get a safety briefing before going onto the track, telling you where to drive if you're slower than other traffic, what parts of the track cars are allowed to pass on (and where passing is prohibited), what to do if you want to get off and what to expect from each other in terms of safety and courtesy.

You remember our parade laps at Watkins Glen, where we were not allowed to pass ANYBODY, ANYWHERE. I got stuck behind a Mazda SUV (:shock:) and wasn't allowed to go around her. I was doing 100 and she was doing about 85. Big Al came up behind us in Li'l Red at about 110 and I pretended I had problems and pulled over and waved him around me ~ no sense spoiling his fun! The gal in the Mazda stayed directly in the center line, blocking any of us from passing her (and catching you! :lol: ). I think you also ran the parade laps at Lime Rock Park on Bob Sharp Day, where we weren't supposed to pass (but did) and nobody shot us for it. We could have passengers that day, too, just as we could at Watkins Glen. Other Club Track Days are flat-out racing rules, when the Porsche Club of America or Ferrari Club of North America rent the track for a day. I went to the New Jersey Motorsports Park when it first opened and our local CART guys shared the track with the Aston Martin Club. They were all-out in the heavy rain, some going 170mph on the straight. Some spun off, some wore out tires, brakes and clutches, nobody crashed, rules were observed (passing only in certain areas) and a grand time was had by all.
So it depends upon the track rules, and the club, and the individual drivers.
I DNF'd the only two actual races I ever ran (I was eighteen), once spinning and breaking two shocks off the AH I drove 90 miles to the track in, and the other because I just got so worn-out-beat-down-tired I pulled my Porsche into the pits and quit. so I can't tell you much about a full day of racing! :lol:

The AutoCross is always the safest form of racing you can find. You never race wheel-to-wheel with anyone, and there are never other cars on the track at the same time you are (or else they are very very far behind you ~ they're starting as you're finishing). You're racing against the clock, and against yrslf. You can push your little Gem as fast as you dare, or spare it and just cruise thru the course. Our AutoX days with CART bring out some really hot contenders ~ some in professional, purpose-built AutoCross machines. But they run in different classes than we do and mostly it's for fun. I've heard of somebody rolling their car (a Jaguar) once on an AutoCross race, but I've never seen it happen. It's usually completely safe and great fun, run at whatever pace YOU feel comfortable with.

I know you've always wanted to be a race driver, Paul! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 am 

Thanks for your wisdom. :D The rules are not that clear on the ZCON site, one, I wasn't sure if you need a roll bar, slicks, fuel cell, ect, stuff for racing. once you click the $170 charge your are stuck with it. 2, like said, I wouldn't want to hold up anyone with my stock 2.4, against others with 300 HP and up. So right NOW I am BOOKED at the Hotel, and will finish my registration once I'm clear on what I want to do. What I do know, Is this looks like alot of fun. "Z Drivers Have More Fun" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 pm 

Paul,

I recall reading that you do not require a roll bar. You need a helmet, closed toed shoes, and pants.

They mention your car doesn't need to be specially modified, but should be in good mechanical condition (brakes!).

I am pondering if I should do this too... hmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:02 am 

I did see the part where they provide a Helmet. I would by my own, but I think they have an Expired date, and hate to buy one if so, and only get to use it once or twice. So lets do this, I'm in. Something to concider, if we are doing laps, parade or not, cars should be lined up with the Hi Horse power cars up front. Just an Idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 pm 

They do have an expired date. I am not sure what rules they go by, but I would guess that 10 years is the cutoff. SA2005 or newer should work. I think they allow motorcycle helmets as well, so M2005 or newer would work too. Jeesh, two more years and I guess I need a new helmet too... another one for the 'retired' helmet rack I suppose.

If I were to guess more, I would say they will make a few groups based off experience and modifications so each session will have cars with similar paces. We won't be running continuously for the whole day, but rather we still take a 20 minute (ish) session, then pit in and let the car rest while another group takes a session. Track days usually run smooth without any incident since it's more of a "practice" than a flat out race (i.e. no incentive to stay in front all the time).

I am still on the fence! Not sure how much time I can take off work until the date gets closer. I saw on the schedule that the tech happens on Monday... I wonder if they'd allow a tech inspection on Thursday for those of us that can't be there all week?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:46 pm 

jtang wrote:
Paul,

I recall reading that you do not require a roll bar. You need a helmet, closed toed shoes, and pants.

They mention your car doesn't need to be specially modified, but should be in good mechanical condition (brakes!).

I am pondering if I should do this too... hmm.

I am sooooooo glad everyone will be required to have their pants on :shock: .

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 pm 

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:19 pm 

Pants as opposed to shorts, not no-pants!! Hahaha.

Post subject: Track Day
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm 

Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!!"

Well, actually we do. This is not a racing event. Repeat, this is not a racing event. It is a NON-timed event.

All drivers in the beginner group (little or no experience) will have an in-car instructor for the whole day. Your group could be made up of cars of all years and HP ratings and you will be shown how to drive your car on the correct line, when to brake and turn-in, when and how to signal someone to pass you. You will also receive classroom instruction.

Intermediate and some advanced drivers will have an instructor do a drive-along in the first session to verify that they are in the right group and to determine if they can solo.

Advanced and comp license drivers will be allowed to solo.

There will be four 25 minute sessions for all run groups. You will line up on the hot grid and be sent out once the previous group has cleared the course.

EVERYONE is required to wear a Snell 2005 or newer helmet. Rental helmets are available with disposable head socks.

EVERYONE will be required to empty their car of excess items (carpets, cups, coins, spare tire, etc.).

You DO NOT need a roll bar or cage but you do need functioning seat belts (both sides must be similar designs if you are in a group that requires an instructor).

Tech inspection will be conducted on Monday afternoon and on the morning of the track event. We do it on Monday to cut down the time we have to do it at the track.

Only instructors will be allowed to take along passengers except those folks doing the low speed track tour.

Car prep suggestions:

1) change your brake fluid just before the convention
2) get an accurate alignment done
3) check your tires - replace as needed
4) check all other fluids
5) pack tools, a tire pressure gauge, an extra can of oil
6) a tarp to cover your spare tire and other gear
7) sunscreen, hat, camera
8) good attitude

Autocrossing is not done at road course speeds but it is intense and lots of fun. The same tech applies along with the helmet rule.

This IS a timed event.

Post subject: Guest Status
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 am 

Regarding the question of who is a "guest", there are three types of registrations:

1) primary - the driver/owner of the car

2) guest - a second person coming with the primary (wife, gf, friend, husband)

3) children - I'm hoping you all can figure this one out on your own

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 am 

Thanks for the info! Might be able to make the drive up if I'm not already back at school 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next