Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:57 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:24 pm 

I had such a great time today! This Club just keeps getting better and better.

We do some really fun stuff throughout the year, but this event has become my hands-down favorite of each year. It's relaxed, low-key, and pure fun. Some people still put a lot of effort into making their Z look its best for this picnic, but most of us just bring it as it is, without "Car Show" prep. It just makes it more fun that way, and gives us more time to share with each other.

When I first joined the CTZCC, I was awe-struck by the incredible Z cars and Roadsters our members owned. Ross kept telling me, "This is a PEOPLE club, more than it is a CAR club". I would nod politely (he WAS the PreZident, after all), but in my mind I was thinking, "ROSS! DUDE! Have you looked AROUND you lately??? :shock: These carz are AWESOME!" I hardly knew anybody by name and used to spend much time outside, wandering around the carz while the meetings were going on!

NOW I understand what he means. This really IS a people club. The more I get to know the great individual members of the CTZCC, the better I like "us". Each meeting (and especially each Fall Outing) has become like a Family Reunion for me ~ in fact, I heard another member say exactly that this afternoon.

Today was another mini-miracle for us. The entire state got rain, but not a drop fell in Ross' yard while we were gathered there. We again crammed his yard with as many carz as would fit, just like last year. And just like last year, we packed the place with as many members as would comfortably fit and still move around. We were really blessed this year because Clive Bogle (STILL our member! :wink: ) has successfully launched his own Z Car Club 'next door' in New Yawk, and this year he brought almost all of them with him to the Fall Outing, and even brought some NJZCC members along too! It was great to zee him again and I'm actually beginning to recogniZe many of his members by face and car, too! (BIG THANKS to Tommy Sullivan, who took a load off our shoulders by ensuring that each person entering the yard received a "HELLO" sticker to introduce themselves with! That took a lot of burden off us, and it got him a chance to meet everyone by name).

And one of my long-term ambitions was recogniZed this year. Our Very Distant Member, Danny Linquist, hopped on a plane and flew all the way here ystrdy from Washington State, just to meet us all and enjoy the picnic with us! :D. Dan is rebuilding Jan/70 240Z #1651 and has been a faithful supporter and long-distance communicator with us for nearly 2 years. This year, despite a very heavy coaching schedule, his stars lined up for him and he got to make the trip out here. Dan played pro-ball for the NFL's Seattle Seahawks until his retirement. He has been a Datsun line mechanic before that and always faithfully followed Bob Sharp's racing career during those years. Last year Bob autographed a sun visor for Dan and we sent it to him to mount on his 240Z. Today Dan got to return the favor ~ he presented Bob with an autographed NFL football; one professional to another! :wink:

Tom's pictures tell some interesting stories about today. You'll notice small groups of people standing together, laughing and talking. Others are moving thru the carz, wide-eyed and awestruck. Some of these people are new to us, and haven't met each other before today. I know that, because I introduced some of them myself. Tom's pictures show them standing in the exact same spot, an hour later, still talking :lol:
I was especially happy to see how well some of the new ladies got along together!

And we got to meet Colin's darling new bride! What a sweetheart! And to think we actually tried to talk him out of marriage, before we met her! :roll: Oh, DUHHH!

I felt bad for Ron Morales this year. Last year he became an instant hero by stepping up to the barbeque and saving us all from a riot by SOMEHOW cooking enough dogs and burgers to feed everyone at once. This year you could tell he was ready to do it again, but technology beat him to it. Ross used a different method this year, and all Ron had to do was sit nearby and eat, watching for something to go wrong so he could spring again! :lol: Sorry Ronnie ~ we will always remember your valiant rescue last year, tho!

I could write a chapter about the conversations I had with everyone, but so could anyone else. It was a great, great day.

My only sadness was that about 8-10 people I wanted to see again couldn't make it this year. We haven't heard from Gary Williams in Mass since he got his new ZX car ~ presumably all is well with him and he's just too busy enjoying the car to write back. AJ is overwhelmed at work, Dave Russell always has to fight his busy life to get to us, Wes Lent is overseas on vacation, Paul Mackin explained his unavoidable obligation, Vagabond had a birthday, Marc_A and Mark C had family obligations, NISSAN SPORT MAGAZINE's Merlin Blackwell caught the flu at the last minute, etc etc. So it goes.

But Fell actually brought his immaculate 1600 Roadster in at the end of the day, and Robin and Colin Foote made it all the way from RI again, Bryan and Lisa attended their final Z event until they become parents (Lisa wore a pregnant kitty Halloween costume! :D), I learned from Meg that Phrog's 280Z Fairlady is a "Carrot Car" rather than a "Pumpkin Car", and TheZMan made this his very-first event with the CTZCC and started right by bringing his wife, so she could zee with her own eyes that he's not the only person craZy about these carz! All the regulars were there today, and I got to see my little sweetheart, Glorianna Jackson again today! :wink:

The Free Parts Table went empty, refilled, then went nearly empty again, the Club Store did REALLY well today (not sure if they sold out completely or not), a first-time visitor won the not-so-silent raffle for the beautiful polished cam cover for his Anniversary ZX, Bev B. wore her great "Angelina Jolie" riding boots again this year, and Rick and Kathy Morgan again spent the day swamped with questions about their amaZing Car#13.

But one of my favorite moments of this great day was when we all stood around and sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY to car#13! :lol: Glorianna didn't know quite what to make of that, but she sure enjoyed the great birthday cake our Events Director Keith Hultmark brought for the occasion! :lol:

A wonderful day, altogether. Thanks once again to Ross and Brenda for putting up with us all, for making all those arrangements, for getting the lawn crew there in timely fashion, and for hiring their own Meteorologist to help figure out just when we could do all this!

The food was good, the cars were GREAT, the conversation was fun, and all the ladies were gorgeous.

It's sad to realiZe this was the final event of the year. The memories will just have to last me thru the winter.

DON'T FORGET TO SET YOUR Z-CLOX BACK AN HOUR TONIGHT!

Frank

Attachments:
File comment: The last car leaves Ross' beautiful front yard. THANK YOU, Ross and Brenda, for hosting us again this year. We'll be back.
amtrac mud.jpg
amtrac mud.jpg [ 24.88 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]

Last edited by Frank T on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:03 am 

Thank you Ross, Brenda, Frank, Phil, Dave S, Jim H, Keith, Bob and everybody I've forgotten. Dee and I had a nice time, as always! See you in the spring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:03 am 

Here are a "few" pictures from yesterday's outing. Thanks again everyone!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/philctzcc/2 ... 0386119378

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

phil280zxt wrote:
Here are a "few" pictures from yesterday's outing. Thanks again everyone!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/philctzcc/2 ... 0386119378

As always, great photos Phil!

And of course, great job by Ross (and Brenda), Frank, Keith, Dave and everyone else too!

The outing was really the perfect way to wrap up another great year for the club.

- Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:53 pm 

Great Pics !
Looks like a good time was had by all..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:39 am 

Thanks to all the Z people that showed up and braved the weather and came to the Annual Fall Outing(once postponed). Your enthusiam, participation, and support are greatly appreciated and what keeps us guys we call "officers" motivated and inspired to make this club a fun one. Thanks to everyone that visited me at the Merchandize Table.

In addtional a big thanks to Ross Williams for being the glue that keeps all of this running smoothly. Thanks to Frank, Jim, and Phil for all you do too! It's been fun working with you and more importanyl becoming friends. Let's do it again next year!

Thanks to Rick and Kathy Morgan for the added excitment of bringing car#13 to many events this year. Glad you came out of hiding to be amoung us.

Finally, Thank you to Bob Sharp for his continued involvement with the CTZCC. Always a pleasure to spend time,listen to stories, and especially to spend the day with you at the track you made famous.

Look for and feel free to post a "Fun Run" to close out the season. Next Weekend 11/8 Paul Jensen is hosting a "Coffee Meet" at his office in Shelton. Details here: http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=4283 See you there!

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:43 am 

Frank, it was great finally meeting you and putting a face to the name. Sorry about our limited time, the wedding is now a month away and weekends have become a scare commodity.

It was great to get to check out some of the cars of the club, the sheer amount of beautiful Z's is a bit daunting in a good way :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm 

TO ALL CLUB MEMBERS:

I just returned from NYC, where I returned Dan Linquist to LaGuardia airport. He's on his way back to Washington State to resume his coaching duties.

Dan asked me to say goodbye to y'all, and to tell you he had the best time with us, of ANY Z Club function he's ever attended. There are several Z clubs around his area, but they fail to interest him as much as we do. He considers us his 'Home Club', and says he intends to mark us on his calender to attend our Annual Z Car Show and Fall Outing each year.

He even mentioned quitting coaching if it interfered with coming here!

Thanks to each of you for showing him a good time. He had good things to say about each member he met. He suspects he might be somehow indirectly related to Mike Englehardt ~ He says they hit it off like brothers! And he wanted to take Al and Merideth back with him! You all made him feel right at home.

It's stuff like that which makes this Club so special.

Frank T
MbrshpDir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:46 pm 

Thanks for a great time Ross.

Here's some pictures I took.

http://picasaweb.google.com/280z28/CTZCC103109?feat=directlink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:54 pm 

I really like #57!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:17 pm 

I'm kind of leaning toward #50..... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:09 am 

If you guys can keep this a secret: I wouldn't turn down any of 'em!

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 am 

Rick, speaking of nice pictures, I hope you got to see and liked the one I took of Honey waiting patiently for you and/or Kathy to return with more hot dogs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:09 am 

Had a great time at the BBQ. Thanks for hosting Ross. Funny how it rained everywhere in the state but Ross' yard? Tells me there is a higher power that loves the Z's too. I bet if God drove a car he'd drive a Z.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:25 am 

Sorry, but God is a Mopar man.

"And he drove Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden in his Fury"...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next