Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:44 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:30 pm 

WOW! I just read in today's "REPUBLICAN AMERICAN" newspaper that one of the seven remaining 1939 Mercedes Benz W-154 Silver Arrows will be there!!!

This monster car was Hitler's successful attempt at demonstrating Nazi Germany's technical superiority on the eve of WWII. It had a supercharged 3.0-Liter, 480bhp V-12 engine (which can be heard on YouTube!) and set land speed records of nearly 200 mph in 1939! The car got 1-1/2 mpg :lol:.

Nazi Germany was so race-sensitive, they refused to paint their cars, thereby saving nearly 200lbs of weight. The resulting bare aluminum and stainless steel gave their Mercedes and Auto Union cars the nickname, "Silver Arrows". A recent inquiry into the metallergic capabilities of pre-war Germany revealed that the aluminum used to make this monster's suspension wouldn't be good enough for LAWN FURNITURE today! Yet heros like Hermann Lang and Rudolph Caracciola pushed these two ton beasts to speeds in excess of 190mph on the Mulsanne Straight during the Grand Prix de France (Le Mans).

Of the 16 Grands Prix races run in 1939, these cars won 11 of them, which was unheard of in those days. Only my Italian idol Tazio Novolari could beat them, driving first his beloved "horseshoe"-grilled Bugatti, and eventually an independent front-wheel-drive Auto Union.

This magnificent car will NOT be raced this weekend, but it will be on display to everyone with a camera on Saturday and Monday. More than 270 other classic racers are scheduled to race in 9 different classes.

When I was a car-craZy teenager (shortly after the last dinosaur died), I had a centerfold spread of this car above my desk in my bedroom, and another "exploded" phantom sketch of it above my bed. I used to rent reel-to-reel movies of these cars, just to watch my pre-war Grand Prix heros race and to hear the inimitable sound of these incredible V-12s blasting around the very-long racecourses of that era.

My girlz are escaping to Cape Cod this weekend, so I'm a batchelor and WILL be there to zee this piece of racing history :wink:

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:37 pm 

We'll be there with our 280 racing in Group 9. Stop by and say hello. Green #185.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:47 pm 

Just received this email from LRP:

Lime Rock Park Fan Alert!

In the run-up to the upcoming Sept. 4-7 Lime Rock Park Vintage Festival, there was a very rare motorsport occurrence yesterday – and it was recorded on video...

Video footage of the rare Mercedes-Benz W154 Silver Arrow lapping a race track for the first time since the start of WWII...

Thanks to SCCA driver and corner marshal John Godfrey, the historic event of the last W154 ever built being driven at Lime Rock Park – the first time it’s done so since it finished second at the Belgrade Grand Prix, virtually moments after the start of WWII – was recorded on video.

Godfrey has graciously hosted the video for all to see.

Lime Rock Park Vintage Festival organizer Murray Smith was the driver.

Please click on the following link to see what few eyes have gazed upon until now... and what you can see live this weekend at Lime Rock Park.

http://www.e-survival.com/w154.mov

Post subject: Lime rock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:16 pm 

Bob Sharp will be trailering his new 240 replica that he just had done and will be on display for sun vintage vest. and possiably for the racing on mon. the car won't be on the track.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:34 pm 

My Z was fixed today(:D) so I'll be there! :D

Frank

Post subject: The Rock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:52 pm 

Great news Frank!
Looking fwd to zeeing your baby in the flesh.
Ok,so,evryone else...Sunday is the big day,right?
Are there caravans?
Mayhaps meet somewhere close to the track and enter en masse?
I think Mike said he'll be there Monday for the races;anyone else?
Anyone considering staying overnite at the park?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:56 pm 

I have all 4 dayz to myself and plan to be there each of them, but have to go home each night and squeeZe in church on Sunday.

Post subject: Lime rock
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:19 am 

Hey frank I'm glad you and vinnie got your car straightened out and happy that you'll be up at lime rock. I think even if people haven"t registered for the show we may still be able to get all the z's together. I'm thinking of calling up there and finding out. I'll keep everyone posted of my findings..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:58 am 

Scott, being able to park together would be great. I'm still on th fence about attending. Let us know how they respond.

Phil

Post subject: Lime rock Vintage vest.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:16 am 

Hey guys I called lime Rock yesterday and this is the scoop.
For those that are registered for the showing must arrive between 7:00 and 8:00am so that they can get us trough the registration process and get us down on the track. for those of you that are not registered for this event you must check in with them and they will line you guys up in a different location for just a short while and then once they see every one accounted for they will merge us all together.. They will know more on sun on exactly how there going to set everthing up.. I will be leaving about 6:00 am to head up there. also for you that have Z cars above 1980
just tell them your with the CTZCC. For all of those heading up ZEE YA there...... :D 8) :!: :!: :!: Ps. Phil Ross is right You have to attend this one.. Frank I hope that your registered since you have the low numbered car.. :wink:

Post subject: The Rock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:49 am 

Scott
Good work!
Should be able to pull in around 10a Sun,maybe earlier
Anyone from eastern Ct heading that way?

Al

Post subject: Lime rock Vintage Fest.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:58 am 

Hey Alan, I'm not sure of the head count. I'm hoping Mike Winters shows up from Brookfield. If we could 10 cars + up there would be AWSOME>.. :wink:

Post subject: Lime Rock Festival.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:16 am 

We're at LRP with my #185 Green 280Z vintage race car. See the "wanted" pages here for our my request.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:42 pm 

Well I didn't get as much done around the house as I'd planned today. Looks like I won't be able to make it to the show tomorrow. This is perfect painting weather and I have way too much painting to do!! I haven't been able to send any time with my Z (ie prep) my Z in several weeks anyway.

Have fun, someone please take pictures!
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:22 am 

Anyone heading up there tomorrow (Monday)? My Dad and I will probably be heading up there in the morning...

-Colin

1970 Datsun 240z #11137

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next