Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 pm 

The CT Air and Space Museum is sponsoring a car show this year at Short Beach in Stratford, CT. Some of us made it to the show held last year at the Avco Lycoming plant site where three of us even ended up with trophies! There was a huge amount of cars and trucks of all kinds to see.

The fee for entering your car in the show is only $10 which helps fund the restoration of the museum's historic aircraft, the centerpiece of which is the museum's infamous F4U Corsair, one of the most successful fighter planes of WWII. Many of these Corsairs were built right at the same site as the museum. Click on the link below to view the event flyer.

Come join us on a "Fun Run" to this event!

Meet up place (optional): Heavenly Donut Rt 34W (Exit 58 off Merrit Pkwy) 9:15AM or meet us at the show
When: September 18, 2022 - Show runs from 10AM to 4PM
Where: Short Beach, Stratford, CT
https://www.ctairandspace.org/events

Let us know if you plan to attend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:32 pm 

Mark Kaplow and I each brought our 240Z cars to the Corsair Car Show today, which was sponsored by the CT Air and Space Association and was held at Short Beach in Startford this year. The day was perfect with a nice sea breeze at the beach. Lots of cars, trucks, hot rods and military vehicles on display. I took just a few pictures to share with you. One of my favorite vehicles (pictured) was a 1951 Divco milk delivery van. I remember having milk delivered to our house when I was a kid in one of these vans.

Both Mark and I left before the awards were given out, in my case I had enough sun for the day. Later that day I got a knock on my front door and found my buddy Ted from up the street who was at the show with his spectacular 1970 Chevy custom pickup truck (engine bay picture) standing there with a big trophy in his hand. I said " wow, congrats, you won another trophy" and he said, "no this was awarded to you and your Z!" People just love these old Z cars. :D

Attachments:
Corsair Car Show 5.jpg
Corsair Car Show 5.jpg [ 40.24 KiB | Viewed 4562 times ]
Corsair Car Show 4.jpg
Corsair Car Show 4.jpg [ 65.23 KiB | Viewed 4562 times ]
Corsair Car Show 3.jpg
Corsair Car Show 3.jpg [ 76.58 KiB | Viewed 4562 times ]
Corsair Car Show 2.jpg
Corsair Car Show 2.jpg [ 56.69 KiB | Viewed 4562 times ]
Corsair Car Show 1.jpg
Corsair Car Show 1.jpg [ 42.07 KiB | Viewed 4562 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:08 pm 

JohnnyZ,

Looks like a great day. Congratulations on your trophy win. You're on a streak! Super photos!

Hope I can make it next year.

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:55 pm 

Looks like a nice turnout! :thumbs_up:
Good work John, another trophy for your baby!

Was that DivCo a stand-up job, or did it actually have a fold-down seat? :lol:

Our milk used to be delivered to the galvanized metal milk box on our porch by the milkman driving one of those, and some of the older Victorian and Edwardian houses on our street had actual milk boxes built into the sides of the porch or even near the kitchen. It was a little door in the side of the house just large enough to place a glass milk bottle and some butter in, but were too small to pose any threat of B&E. Insulated with lead and lined with tin to keep it cold, they could be opened from inside to get the milk without having to go outside in your PJs thru the snow. More than one neighborhood cat got stuffed into those boxes; a nasty early morning surprise for the homeowner or for the milkman himself. My buddy's house actually had a Lazy Susan which kept outside temperatures from reaching the kitchen.

We weren't so fancy. We washed out our empty glass bottles and left them in the milkbox on the front porch. That got us our 2 cent deposit back. Milk was about 24 cents a quart in the 1950s. The milkman would replace the empties with full bottles and butter and ring the bell as he left. I collected the little cardboard "coins" which were pressed into the cardboard tops of the bottles. Must have had 100 of them by the time I was 8.

We kids used to hit the milkman up for some ice each day. In the hot summer a chunk of ice could keep a kid alive until dinnertime. One hot summer our milk truck and an ice cream truck collided at the end of our street; the square-box ice cream truck tipped over on its side and all the ice cream leaked out into the street. It drew more cats than we ever knew we had. I have distinct memory of 8 or 9 cats we'd never seen before, sitting near each other licking melted ice cream.

Weird how an old truck can resurrect so many memories.

Wish I could have made this event this year, but I got back in town late and missed it by *THAT* much. Next year.

Frank T

Attachments:
File comment: Milk door in the side of a house
b513dacf7a7a4ff759808cd38a3c362f--milk-box-door-ideas.jpg
b513dacf7a7a4ff759808cd38a3c362f--milk-box-door-ideas.jpg [ 40.9 KiB | Viewed 4558 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:51 am 

Man, Oh man Frank. You're OLD! Lol. :shock: :D :thumbs_up:

Howie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:09 am 

Frank, I just knew you would come up with a good story on the Divco van. :thumbs_up:

I believe this Divco was a stand-up job like the ones I saw in my old neighborhood in LI. Our family had the old galvanized insulated milk box as displayed in the picture. This particular van serviced the Newark NJ area and was owned by a local dairy.

You can just imagine the market for specialized vehicles servicing the sprawling post-war neighborhoods. I recall some of these in my Levittown NY neighborhood growing up:

Larson bread van
Dugan's bread and pastries van (Divco)
Knife and scissor sharpening van (old green truck with a little sharpening shop inside)
Meenan heating oil Model B "Thermodyne" Mack truck
Dairy delivery van (Divco)
Good Humor ice cream truck (Ford)

But the one vehicle we loved the best (well, besides ice-cream) was the "Whip" ride truck which had about 6 or 8 little swivel seats that would travel a chain powered circuit around the semi-enclosed truck bed. I think it cost a quarter and you got either some bubble gum or smartie candy roll when you stepped out.

I'm sure all of these guys operating these vehicles made a decent living in the day with all of us baby boomers and our parents using their services frequently as many of the "stay at home" housewives didn't have a second car to go out for these services.

Different times for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:49 am 

In the early 1950s we also had a "rag man" who led a horse-drawn cart down our street (yes Howie, we had a paved street :lol: ) calling "RAGS! RAGS! BRING OUT YOUR RAGS!" and some other calls I don't remember. The horse wore a bell so you could hear them coming. I never figured out the rag trade, but you could swap dirty ones for clean ones somehow. We kids tried to meet the horse but the Ragman was a stern, unhappy person who chased us away (altho he DID study some of my childhood shirts with interest). I never saw him smile, even to the moms who brought him dirty rags. He carried a long "whip" horse crop which he never used on the horse; he kept the neighborhood dogs at bay with it. Family dogs ran free in those days.

At the end of that decade we also got the "Egg Person" whose gender we couldn't decipher, long before that became "acceptable".

John, I never heard of that "Whip" ride thing. If you have any pictures.....?

We also had a knife sharpening vendor who had a pedal-powered grindstone mounted in the back of his truck, and the Mister Frosty ice cream truck which parked directly in front of our house each summer day with his music blaring.

My father worked nights some of those years and tried to sleep during the day. He went out and told the driver he was waking him up; he got some kind of a smart-A response. He dragged "Milton" out of the truck and beat him to the ground in front of several neighborhood kids. Told him if he ever woke him up again he wouldn't have a truck to drive anymore. "Milt" stopped playing his music but still parked in the only shade on the street in front of our house. No cops or lawsuits involved...it was a different era.

We were so poor in some of those years mom didn't have two nickels for us to buy 2 simple ice cream cones. My sister and I pressed our noses against the front window and watched all the neighborhood kids come down and buy icecream, then drop their wrappers in our front yard. We kids had to go out and pick them up after everyone left. :(

One summer we had a plague of starlings which beset the city for weeks. They landed in the city's magnificent elm trees in such incredible numbers that they broke whole tree limbs. Two columns of our city police, dressed in helmets, black leather jackets and motorcycle boots, walked down the sides of our street with pump shotguns, shooting up into the trees (with light birdshot, of course). Police cruisers with PA systems led them, telling people to remain inside and expect gunshots. Two special dumptrucks followed the procession, and workers shoveled up dead starlings into the backs of the already-full trucks. Amazing to me was that the starlings never tried to fly away; they just sat there and took it. Duhhh. Crows would have flown at the first shot. The city's trees were spared.

But the city's wonderful Elms were completely wiped out by Dutch Elm Disease shortly after I left for Vietnam. When I visited again they were all gone, replaced by sapling Maples. No shade to be found.

Wow, one stupid old milk truck sure opened a chestful of memories.

Thanks John.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:18 am 

Oh, and the coal truck!
We heated our old 1920s house with a coal furnace in the cellar. One corner of the cellar was boxed off and used as a coal bin. A big dump truck would back into our driveway and construct a channel of steel cutes which flowed a ton of coal from the truck bed into the little cellar window above the coal bin. The noise was deafening. The workers were all covered in coal oil and dust; I doubt they ever got completely clean while they had that job. After they left I had to clean up whatever coal had spilled into the dirt driveway and it took me the rest of the day to get clean again. I guess I was about 8.
When we needed heat my father had to go downstairs and shovel coal into the furnace. If the fire had gone out it was an hour job to restart it. Waking up to a cold house in the New York winters was no way to start your school day. Mom fired up the gas oven and opened the door to heat the kitchen, at least. We also had a gas-fired hot water heater behind the swinging kitchen door. It was a stacked coil of copper water pipe over a gas flame to give us hot water. By opening the kitchen door and standing behind it next to the water heater, we kids created the warmest spot in the house to dress in.

Jeez John, why did you take me back there? :lol:

Attachments:
File comment: gas-fired hot water heater from 1930s
198467013995a1b80073bb873c69a62f.jpg
198467013995a1b80073bb873c69a62f.jpg [ 65.81 KiB | Viewed 4524 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:16 pm 

I remember, and loved, the "clippity-clop" sound of the horses shoes on the pavement and the string of cow bells that were strung across the cart. Them's was memories you just don't ever forget. :wink: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:17 pm 

Well I can only say that I never heard the clippity clop of horse shoes coming down our block, but I did have to walk 2 miles to school uphill each way! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:37 pm 

I did find an old picture of the mobile "whip" kiddie ride similar to the one that cruised my old neighborhood.

Attachments:
Whip kiddie ride.jpg
Whip kiddie ride.jpg [ 15.44 KiB | Viewed 4492 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:04 pm 

Wow, never saw one of those before. But it has a fence around it to keep the kids from flying off into the street?
They take all the fun out of life. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:34 pm 

johnnyZ wrote:
Well I can only say that I never heard the clippity clop of horse shoes coming down our block, but I did have to walk 2 miles to school uphill each way! :wink:

Oh! Sorry John. I forgot to mention that the "clippity clopping" of horse hoofs, and the cow bells, was in Brooklyn, NY, not here on Lawng Guyland.

And YOU forgot to mention having to cross the streams before arriving at school. :) :lol: :thumbs_up: