Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:26 am 

Wow, yet another perfect Z-Day! We couldn't ask for better weather than this.
I'm on my way.
Frank T

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:32 am 

Well the second CTZCC event for this weekend was a blast too! :thumbs_up:

The weather was absolutely perfect. There were hundreds of cars that showed up for this event and our club was well represented with 6 cars. And what do your know??, Howie was the first to arrive all the way from Long Island!! A friend of mine also joined us at our meeting point at the Derby CT Heavenly Donut and accompanied us in our little caravan to the show in his beautiful little 1951 MG to much of the passing car passenger's enjoyment.

There were LOTS of people stopping by to admire our cars and chat with us during the day which I can only attest to the gaining popularity the Z cars are experiencing these days. I was even able to recruit two new members to our club who were current Z owners from CT and anxious to participate. Our Z's even won three huge trophies!

The main attraction of the aircraft museum across the street from the car show lot was the F4U Corsair which was about 90% complete in it's extensive restoration. There were other planes and helicopters on display as well.

Unfortunately, I was in the process of moving the pictures I took with my phone to my PC this morning when, for some reason, (probably operator error :oops: ) all of those pictures disappeared. :evil: I am hoping I can somehow retrieve these pictures but in the meantime, Alan and Frank may be able to supply some pictures as well.

Great fun this weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:29 pm 

Thanks for yet another highly-successful, fun-filled day at the hands of our PreZident Johnny Z!
I bet there were 250-300 vehicles there of every description, and hundreds of happy people soaking up the sunshine. Low humidity and a steady breeze lulled everyone into a false sense of complacency, until the brilliant sun turned us all into happy lobsters. Any jewelry we wore ystrdy is a white band in a sea of red today. :lol: The treeless, 4-acre parking lot made a perfect slow-cooker; like lobsters in slowly-heating water, we never even felt it happening.

The cars were sensational. Everything was represented from the 1920s, '30s, '40s, '50s, LOTS of '60s and '70s, and all the way up to our new member Frank C's spectacular Mellow Yellow 370Z were present. There was even a pavement-dragging 2-person RatRod made from a twin-stack 1952 Mack truck, with a park bench as the seat. My favorites were the square-headlamp Studebaker Avanti, a nifty little RHD Nissan Figaro (sold only in Japan), and the wonderful 1951 MG-TD (with big front disc brakes!) which John's neighbor Jeff brought in.

Dozens of people stopped to talk with us about the Zs. Everybody has a Z story, and they shared them all. John recruited one guy who nearly cried when he learned we were FREE and had so much fun together. He got another member later on but I was busy watching Ferrari, flat-head Fords, Cobras, Sunbeam Alpines, U.S. military vehicles from the Korean War to Desert Storm, static helicopter displays and street-legal 10-second drag cars. We look forward to hearing from our new members soon. :thumbs_up:

Period-appropriate music was played throughout the day and if you were close enough to the bandstand you could hear some of it. I really don't have any complaints about this event because it was really great fun, but I do have some criticisms.

(1) If they had any medical facility it was so well-hidden I never saw it; considering the huge crowd, they should have had an obvious First Aid station immediately inside the (only) gate, so everyone entering saw it and knew exactly where to go for help, and so any arriving ambulances would know exactly where to find the patient awaiting help;
(2) The PA system was woefully inadequate. People standing quietly just 25yds from the bandstand couldn't hear the raffle or trophy results. Most of the crowd was unaware when they played our National Anthem, resulting in about 100 spectators near the stage rendering honors, while the 300 in the back carried-on, oblivious;
(3) The judged trophy system only announced the assigned NUMBERS and makes of the winning cars, not the description or owner's name, even tho each car's windshield registration paper showed the make, year, and the owner. If the spectators didn't remember the assigned windshield registration number issued upon arrival, they had no idea they had won anything. Our cars arrived together and were assigned consecutive numbers from 100 to 107, but there were two 102s issued, and that number won a trophy. Duhhh;
(4) The stagehands who awarded the 50 trophies apparently had no prior experience doing it, and made a lengthy mess of it while hundreds of people baked in the sun. Our own Club could have done in 20 minutes what they bungled-up in 50 minutes, and we would have done it with FAR more enthusiasm and clarity. Many people simply left before the presentations were completed. The presentations were the weakest point of the whole show, when they should have been the best. We had to contact Howie at home to tell him his car had won a trophy;
(5) There was a single 1950s Good Humor ice-cream truck (which could have won a trophy itself) to serve hundreds of people, and it ran out of ice-cream long before the event ended. There was a single food truck which sported a never-ending line of hungry people each time I got near it. Soda selections were limited and $2 each.

Three of our group won trophies for the cars! We'll figure out a way to get Howie's to him down there in Lawn Guyland. It was great to zee him and Karl Walton again; its been too long. We saw Karl at Thompson Speedway on Saturday and again at this show on Sunday. Small miracle. Alan Dempsey looked like a kid in a candy store, carrying his camera among so many great cars.

All along the road homeward there were classic and collectible cars passing and waving, and innocent bystanders awestruck by the parade of incredible iron flashing past them on the highway.

THANKS John, for setting this up, and for your enthusiastic leadership this year. I hope we squeeZe a few more fun events into the remainder of this Zeason, but if this turns out to be our 2021 finale, it was a fine one. :thumbs_up: :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

Frank T

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:38 pm 

Ditto what they said! It was a super day. Next time I'll bring along some sunblock! My eyes are scratchy and my ears can't be wiggled!

CTZCC was well represented with various Z configurations. The cars on display were absolutely super. So many autos, so few hours to give them justice. I have photos of some of my favorites and will set up an album for all to view. John, Karl and Frank...please forward any good to great photos that I can add to the album on line (abdnpd67@att.net).

I have to admit...I was probably more drawn in by the F4U Corsair being restored for static display only. It sits, roughly 75% complete with wings folded, in a small hanger, surrounded by memorabilia and phenominal ceiling to floor photos. Having grown up in the Lordship section of Stratford (just up around the bend) with family near Paradise Green, I remember seeing F4U Corsairs behind the prop/wash fencing with wings folded.

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:39 pm 

As always, Mr. Frank T, you so eloquently described the event and "Z" entire day perfectly. :mrgreen: :thumbs_up: Bravo Maestro. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:56 pm 

I have put an album together of the Connecticut Air And Space Center car show at Sikorsky Airport in Bridgeport/Stratford, Connecticut, 19 Sep 2021. Enjoy!

The F4U Corsair is being restored for static display only. For years it was mounted like a "Revel Model" in front of the Main Terminal building. It's Historical significance: F4U Corsairs were built during WWII in the Chance Vought factory accross Main St.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i7nTB3a8g87Jhgvv8

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm 

Nice work Alan. Once again you saved the day. My own camera and computer don't play well together. I must have taken 50 pictures but only about 7 of them came out, and those cant be transferred to this website because they are "too big".
Glad you caught that beautiful Avanti; it was my favorite, despite having a smaller replacement engine in it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:35 pm 

Well, my wife was able to locate the pictures I took Sunday that seemed to disappear somewhere in my computer. Hopefully I can add all of them to this post. I loved that little 1991 Nissan Figaro. It came with a 1000 cc turbo-charged 4 cylinder engine. I also managed to capture a photo of our own photographer (despite his efforts to avoid me) next to an old Sikorsky helicopter. Enjoy!

Attachments:
Stratford17.jpg
Stratford17.jpg [ 63.89 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford16.jpg
Stratford16.jpg [ 55.7 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford15.jpg
Stratford15.jpg [ 58.72 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford14.jpg
Stratford14.jpg [ 55.16 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford13.jpg
Stratford13.jpg [ 82.1 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford12.jpg
Stratford12.jpg [ 74.58 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford11.jpg
Stratford11.jpg [ 36.2 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford10.jpg
Stratford10.jpg [ 67.32 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford9.jpg
Stratford9.jpg [ 59.92 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford8.jpg
Stratford8.jpg [ 67.29 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford7.jpg
Stratford7.jpg [ 68.35 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford6.jpg
Stratford6.jpg [ 66.19 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford5.jpg
Stratford5.jpg [ 63.49 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford4.jpg
Stratford4.jpg [ 68.56 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford3.jpg
Stratford3.jpg [ 72.11 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford2.jpg
Stratford2.jpg [ 64.29 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]
Stratford1.jpg
Stratford1.jpg [ 66.2 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:24 pm 

Hey guys! When it rains it pours!

We have a great show of photos for all to go through.
It was one super sunny day. Let's do it again next year. An entire row of Zs would be super!

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:19 pm 

Thanks Alan! Great job! :thumbs_up: