Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:21 pm 

The Z gathering is on for tomorrow in Darien, CT! Passing showers are forecasted to be out of the area by 9:00am. The rest of the day should be cloudy but dry. So come for some chili, hot dogs, Zs, free raffle items and friends!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:33 am 
Site Admin

Can't wait! It's going to be another awesome Outing!

Thanks for all your hard work, Ross!

- Jim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:18 am 

Good morning! It looks like a great day to be a Z! Let's do this!
Frank :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:31 am 

Woo Hoo
Brenda musta got Ross to get the Wand batteries charged!
We’ll Z Ya’ll Soon :lol:

'03 Z33 Touring 6 spd Chrome Silver (~stock)
'09 GT-R Super Silver... Lusty Enough As Is!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:13 am 

John, call Karl and wake him up. Remind him today's the day.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:40 pm 

It was great to see many old and new friends today. We got lucky with the weather!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:08 pm 

Great day today seeing our old and some new Z friends. Thanks again to Ross and Brenda for hosting such an enjoyable day. You guys are awesome!

PS: Loved that chili! :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:43 pm 

Great to see everyone today! Thanks for hosting us Ross! I took a bunch of photos. I'll post the best once I offload them and link to the rest.

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:48 pm 

Brenda & Ross, I had a great time, THANK YOU BOTH. At one point our "Z Countess" saw 30 cars at once, then about 5-6 more came in after that. It was comfortable to be able to walk btwn the cars and have a little more "people space". We had about a half-crew today because of the questionable weather and ZCon was operational in Atlanta so some of our members were there. Big Al Babik messaged me in the middle of my hotdogs and deviled eggs. He was there in Atlanta and told me some of the highlights and some of our members he hooked up with there. They had a really good turnout down south and Al's very glad they made it. He heads home tmrw. I actually had the mic in my hand after his call and forgot to announce it, but I spread that news around the table as I was eating. Several intended caravans got cancelled at the last minute due to weather. The Z Car Club of Rochester had hoped to send some delegates but they have 2" of snow up there already. Once the snow flies and the salt gets spread anywhere, the Zs stay home. Such threats changed several planned appearances. Many people had heavy weather locally and could only guess what kind of weather we would have down here.

Our WEATHER!!! :D Ross, you couldn't have done a better job! Brenda's warm smiles probably helped the sun break thru and none of us ever felt a single drop of rain. Thanks to Graham for helping park us all; good job and no chipped paint. I don't think I ever saw Brenda or Ross sit down; they were always on their feet helping someone or carrying another vat of hotdogs out to the serving table. I know this event can't work without some coordinated volunteer help, and Jimmy Hagani, I know you help out each year, even tho you refuse to admit it.

Our usual crowd of Z fanatics was there and it was great to see our Z-friends, but we also saw people we haven't seen in a year! Both Tom Wasney and Mike Englehart have Z cars again now :mrgreen: :thumbs_up: That's the first time that's happened in about 6 years. They run off and play with Mustangs, Volvos and an occasional SAAB, but they always hear the Siren Song of the Z and come back. Tom is on his 17th Z now and I forgot how many Mike said he's had but I remember being surprised about it. Demo243 has finally got his sweet little 510 the way he wants it, but now he's being tempted into yet another project by a friend of his.

We saw Larry (Porkbun) and his chameleon Z "Daphne", which looks different each time he arrives in it. Today it looked like a Pan-Am racer and he had somehow managed to leave his exhaust system behind him in the road on the way in. The neighbors loved that :roll: and everything stopped as he arrived. :lol: "Daphne" has been repainted so many colors, I bet she has actually gained weight.

We saw Dave Galband from NYC for the first time in a year, sporting a new nose on his perfect 1971 240Z. (No, you don't want to ask what happened to the original one). His car still (or again) looks Concours and still has those outstanding ANSA dual exhaust pipes. Gary Tylinski arrived in one of his space ships. Vinny Bedini showed up but was so busy taking to people about their cars, I doubt he even got fed. One person after another dragged him back and forth across the lawn, pointing out this problem or that and asking advice. It was almost funny. Vinny's known as the preeminent early Z mechanic in the state, and anytime a Z owner sees him they have to ask his opinion on one thing or another. One 280Z got its brake master cylinder pulled off right on the lawn and adjusted per driver's preference.

Poor Uncle Phil Parent placed a "For Sale" sign on his beloved 280ZXT and hardly ever got to leave it; everyone showed an interest in this Club-historic beauty and I would have to assume (from the constant interest in it) that it has a very good chance of staying in the Club. I sure hope so. Phil didn't have to mingle because the entire Club came to him, three at a time, to discuss buying his car. If he didn't actually ever get a chance to get away and eat I don't feel bad; that's what he gets for selling the car which has been a part of his family (and the Club) for so very many years. He passed me with it on the Merit Pkwy on the way to the picnic and I couldn't catch him; that car is just constantly quick and he kept distancing himself from traffic for as long as I could keep him in sight.

Diego showed up but, altho he's a professional photographer and a rabid Z lover, I never saw him with a camera. That's good ~ it's the first time since I've known him that all I saw him do was relax, eat, and have fun with everybody. I reminded him that just last week I was re-living some old Bob Sharp Day videos and, as Bob led us all out onto the track, we saw Diego up in the Starter's Tower, dutifully taking pictures of each of us; everyone else was out on the track having fun trying to catch the great Bob Sharp, and Diego was sacrificing his ride to record our fun. Just the kind of guy he is. The NJ Z club is fortunate to have him.

We were visited by Mike "Dangerous Z" Tubiak and a few of his partners in crime; it was good to zee him again too. Mike's wonderful "Dangerous Z" has died and been parted-out, so many bits of it probably appeared among us today without us knowing it.

We even had a special guest appearance by Alan Brown, one of the very earliest founders of the Club. Alan is a 'plank owner' of the CTZCC; he was one of the tiny handful of Z owners who used to meet Ross for coffee routinely when they wanted an excuse to get the Zs out. Together they helped Ross orchestrate his idea of a CT Z Car Club, back shortly after the last dinosaur died.

There were a doZen others I'm overlooking and a handful of newbies who I never got to meet, let alone talk with, but the bottom line is that we had a good time, the weather was perfect and the cars get better each year. A FedEx driver parked his van, made a delivery across the road, then ran over to the yard and asked to look at the cars. He said he was in love with the Z more than any other car on the road. Even tho he was pressed for delivery time and couldn't stay (he literally ran some of the way), he exalted the mechanical virtues of several Zs and named them by year and model; he clearly was a Z fanatic and knew these cars. Late in the day a father and son arrived in a perfect new 370 and introduced themselves. They spent the rest of their time with us examining the cars and meeting some of the members. We invited them back next year and I won't be surpriZed if the son follows his dad's 370 into the yard driving his own 240 next year.

We all sang ("sang") Happy Birthday to Ross (he turns 31 tomorrow :roll: ) and raffled off a tableful of good looking Z toys and Z Merch. I sadly sat by the exit and waved goodbye to the cars as they left; it's always sad for me to realiZe that our cars are headed for hibernation when they leave Ross' picnic.

So thanks again Brenda, Ross and Graham, for opening your home to us. Thanks also to whomever volunteered to be elves and helped out doing stuff. Whoever brought all that delicious food, you made my day. Thanks.

Frank T

Last edited by Frank T on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:27 pm 

Thanks for your recap Frank. It turned into a great day!

I forget the name of this very nice young man driving this white 240Z. His brake booster locked up and he had no alternative than to flatbed it. He called his insurance company and their policy is to "tow it to the nearest shop that is qualified to work on the car". They input the year and make into their system and determined that there was no such shop! They obviously don't know about Vinny. So they offered to tow it all the way to the guy's home for no extra charge. So all is well that ends well!

Attachments:
IMG_3255.jpg
IMG_3255.jpg [ 92.45 KiB | Viewed 5297 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:55 am 
Site Admin

What a great day!

Thank you Ross, Brenda and Graham for all the hard work!

Only ~364 days and counting to the 14th Annual CTZCC Fall Outing (but hopefully we'll have other chances to get together before then)!

- Jim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:49 am 

Thanks for your recap Frank, I almost feel like I was there. This year has been quite a ride for me and sadly I couldn't fit the picnic into it, although it would have been nice.

We literally just moved into a new place a week ago and are still unpacking, while trying to keep as many of our commitments (kids soccer games and such) as possible. The boys were stressed about moving but they are adjusting well.

Anyway, I hope to see everyone next year. I'm glad it was still a good turnout, Ross and Brenda do an amazing job and their home is a beautiful location to have such an event.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:11 am 

As always- Nice Job Frank
Good to see you pretty much used the notes I sent you verbatim. :lol: :roll: :shock:

'03 Z33 Touring 6 spd Chrome Silver (~stock)
'09 GT-R Super Silver... Lusty Enough As Is!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:42 am 

Haha!
You're good, Gary. 8)

Jay, I had kinda hoped you might make it, but I realiZed some of the obstacles involved and didn't really think you could. Your beautiful 260 remains in our memory here, and I can close my eyes and still see it parked along the curb in front of the Z-mansion. I hope to zee you up here again sometime soon, but I expect some of us might get down there for your annual Father's Day car event before that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:00 pm 

Here are some highlights --- Link to the full gallery at the bottom

ImageDSC_0950 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0907 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0909 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0910 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0927 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0981 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0944 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152020965 ... 2678165785

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next